Week 17 AP polls

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Week 17 AP polls

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:How is G'Town still 26th and SJU is like 33rd in the AP poll after smashing them?

because 1 game doesn't a season make. Same reason why Georgetown was #24 in Lunardi's bracket math yesterday while St John's was #31.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 pm

stever20 wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:How is G'Town still 26th and SJU is like 33rd in the AP poll after smashing them?

because 1 game doesn't a season make. Same reason why Georgetown was #24 in Lunardi's bracket math yesterday while St John's was #31.

But here you seem to think it does make a season.

I think we learn a lot about St John's tomorrow night quite frankly. If they come in and pound Marquette I think they could be a sweet 16 candidate. If they come in and are dis-interested we probably have a 1 and done in the NCAA tourney.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4291

So, do you show a) an extreme bias, b) empty-headed, or c) a troll?
Red Rooster

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:37 pm

The game tomorrow means a lot for St John's because of 2 things...
1- shows a maturity level that they don't overlook a team like Marquette
2- seeding. A loss tomorrow and they're pretty much locked into the 7-10 quagmire. I think St John's wins here, and gets a win in the BET, they have a shot at 6 or maybe even 5 seed. HUGE difference there...
stever20

Postby ChelseaFriar » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Kenotic0913 wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:PC and SJU have been two schools who were previously buried most years in the old Big East but now finding some success in the new league. In the old Big East it was fun but you just got the feeling you needed a miracle to really get yourself in the top 3 or 4 with all those crazy programs. See SJU's run in 2011 beating like 5 top 10 teams. No one saw that coming. And that's what it took to get us even NEAR the top. I like this setup better. Still very competitive, but anything can happen.

I can't really speak for the Johnnies as I don't follow them closely enough, but with regards to PC, I think they would be competitive regardless of how the conference looked today. The reason PC was buried for the last 10 years in the old big east was because we had crappy coaches and little talent on the team. Coach Welsh did OK in the early 2000s, (Ryan Gomes era, had the team ranked and in the tourney) but then things fell apart because he just never went after high quality recruits. Then there was Keno Davis (Dubbed the Keno Error by the fans) who was just a train wreck on every level.

We finally have the right coach, we're getting talented recruits and they're playing together as a team. If you put all of the old BEast teams back together I think PC still finishes in the top half.

Agree, like I said in the above post, which teams that were in the old BE are currently clearly better than PC this year?

Syracuse, UConn, BC, Pitt and Miami are all a "No" (despite the fact that BC beat us).

West Virginia is a maybe.

ND and Louisville are better (despite the fact that we beat ND).
ChelseaFriar

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:18 pm

stever20 wrote:The game tomorrow means a lot for St John's because of 2 things...
1- shows a maturity level that they don't overlook a team like Marquette
2- seeding. A loss tomorrow and they're pretty much locked into the 7-10 quagmire. I think St John's wins here, and gets a win in the BET, they have a shot at 6 or maybe even 5 seed. HUGE difference there...

About St John's- ESPN did a list of 5 Jekyll and Hyde teams that could either make the sweet 16 or lose in the 1st round....
NC State, St John's, LSU, Stanford, Arkansas

about St Johns:
Ask any coach in the Big East, and they will tell you -- without hesitation -- that the Red Storm are the most talented team in the league. Yet Steve Lavin’s team is just 9-7 in conference play. There are times when D’Angelo Harrison looks like a first-team All-American, and others when the Red Storm’s leading scorer makes poor decisions and looks like he’s on the playground. This is a team that battled Gonzaga and Duke at Madison Square Garden and went on the road and knocked off Syracuse and Providence. It’s also a group that lost six of eight games at one point, including two to DePaul and Creighton.

St. John’s could wind up playing in the 8-9 game, and is exactly the kind of team that no No. 1 seed would want to see on the second game of the first weekend. Not with Harrison, Sir'Dominic Pointer, Rysheed Jordan, Phil Greene IV and shot-blocker Chris Obekpa. Those are five high-level talents, and the Red Storm also have no shortage of experience. But this is also a group that could fail to even reach that second game.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board