More Realignment on the Way?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: More Realignment on the Way?

Postby NJRedman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:42 am

stever20 wrote:
ohiohsbball wrote:I may be going a little off topic here, but I see now way the BIG signs on with Fox Sports 1. I would love to see that to help FS1 ratings, but I honestly right now just don't see that happening. The BIG right now has the best of both worlds... BIG tournament championship game on CBS along with other regular season games on Sunday, football BIG championship game on FOX, and then numerous regular season football games on ABC and ESPN. Why in the world would the BIG leave that to sign on with FS1, which like it or not, right now has a very uncertain future? I read a lot of posts and see a lot of people getting hopes about signing on with the BIG, but I honestly don't see it. When it comes to money making, Jim Delaney may be the best conference commissioner around, and he is going to where viewership and dollar signs are right now, and unfortunately that is not FS1. During football, BTN had more viewers than FS1; he's not going to kill his own network. If we are lucky enough to get the BIG on FS1, do they renegotiate with tv providers? Look what happened with AT@T and Fox Sports.

As far as expansion goes, no one really has a clue but that is the fun of message boards and internet; speculation. I've stated several times that I think within the first 3-5 years of the conference Dayton and St. Louis would join us. I just don't see UCONN dropping football and Gonzaga is a pipe dream.

To me, the real interesting thing is what will happen to the BIG 12? They got the shaft in football last year, so do they expand? Uconn, Cincinnati, Memphis? Or, does the BIG12 fall apart if the BIG and Pac12 to to the "mega" conference of 16 teams?

One thing for sure, realignment is no where near dead and the next 3 years are going to be interesting.

I agree with the Big Ten. I think best case FS1 gets half of the current ESPN package for football(about 20 games), and then maybe a package for basketball- won't be all that much because they aren't leaving CBS and they aren't going to leave ESPN either. Got to remember- they don't have much basketball outside the Big Ten Network. This week 14 games and ESPN has all of 3 games and CBS has 1 game. Big Ten has 10 games. That's not going to change much with the new deal. The package that FS1 got won't be the life saver that folks on here would want it to be... Big Ten isn't going to kill off their network to save FS1.

As far as expansion, I don't see St Louis as an option until they get even viable on the court. Right now their RPI is 255, last in the A10. It would be a huge mistake to add them right now. If we were going to add them, it would have already happened when they were competitive.

No stever, the best case is that Fox gets the whole package, though it's more realistic that they get half. Thats the problem with your pessimism. You see the most realistic option as the best case scenario. Best case is better than reality, thats why that word "BEST" is in their. ESPN wont get 100% of the contract because that would mean the B1G would be F'ing over their partners in Fox. They wont do that. Fox will get something since they went out on a limb and helped the BTN get off the ground. It is more likely that Fox gets 100% than ESPN gets 100%.

BTW who owns 51% of the BTN? They wont kill off THEIR network for Fox? Pretty sure Fox can kill off their own network.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:55 am

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:
ohiohsbball wrote:I may be going a little off topic here, but I see now way the BIG signs on with Fox Sports 1. I would love to see that to help FS1 ratings, but I honestly right now just don't see that happening. The BIG right now has the best of both worlds... BIG tournament championship game on CBS along with other regular season games on Sunday, football BIG championship game on FOX, and then numerous regular season football games on ABC and ESPN. Why in the world would the BIG leave that to sign on with FS1, which like it or not, right now has a very uncertain future? I read a lot of posts and see a lot of people getting hopes about signing on with the BIG, but I honestly don't see it. When it comes to money making, Jim Delaney may be the best conference commissioner around, and he is going to where viewership and dollar signs are right now, and unfortunately that is not FS1. During football, BTN had more viewers than FS1; he's not going to kill his own network. If we are lucky enough to get the BIG on FS1, do they renegotiate with tv providers? Look what happened with AT@T and Fox Sports.

As far as expansion goes, no one really has a clue but that is the fun of message boards and internet; speculation. I've stated several times that I think within the first 3-5 years of the conference Dayton and St. Louis would join us. I just don't see UCONN dropping football and Gonzaga is a pipe dream.

To me, the real interesting thing is what will happen to the BIG 12? They got the shaft in football last year, so do they expand? Uconn, Cincinnati, Memphis? Or, does the BIG12 fall apart if the BIG and Pac12 to to the "mega" conference of 16 teams?

One thing for sure, realignment is no where near dead and the next 3 years are going to be interesting.

I agree with the Big Ten. I think best case FS1 gets half of the current ESPN package for football(about 20 games), and then maybe a package for basketball- won't be all that much because they aren't leaving CBS and they aren't going to leave ESPN either. Got to remember- they don't have much basketball outside the Big Ten Network. This week 14 games and ESPN has all of 3 games and CBS has 1 game. Big Ten has 10 games. That's not going to change much with the new deal. The package that FS1 got won't be the life saver that folks on here would want it to be... Big Ten isn't going to kill off their network to save FS1.

As far as expansion, I don't see St Louis as an option until they get even viable on the court. Right now their RPI is 255, last in the A10. It would be a huge mistake to add them right now. If we were going to add them, it would have already happened when they were competitive.

No stever, the best case is that Fox gets the whole package, though it's more realistic that they get half. Thats the problem with your pessimism. You see the most realistic option as the best case scenario. Best case is better than reality, thats why that word "BEST" is in their. ESPN wont get 100% of the contract because that would mean the B1G would be F'ing over their partners in Fox. They wont do that. Fox will get something since they went out on a limb and helped the BTN get off the ground. It is more likely that Fox gets 100% than ESPN gets 100%.

BTW who owns 51% of the BTN? They wont kill off THEIR network for Fox? Pretty sure Fox can kill off their own network.

Um, no. The Big Ten is the one who controls the shots, not Fox. The Big Ten is NOT leaving ESPN. PERIOD. Ask Frank The Tank. ESPN like it or not is the gold standard. There is a ZERO percent chance that Fox gets everything. The Big Ten is all about 2 things. $$$ and exposure.

And about their network, Fox and the Big Ten have the contract. The Big Ten would have to allow the games to leave the Network, and that's just something that isn't happening. Fox doesn't have any control on that at all, it's ALL with the Big Ten.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:32 pm

stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

Um, no. The Big Ten is the one who controls the shots, not Fox. The Big Ten is NOT leaving ESPN. PERIOD. Ask Frank The Tank. ESPN like it or not is the gold standard. There is a ZERO percent chance that Fox gets everything. The Big Ten is all about 2 things. $$$ and exposure.

And about their network, Fox and the Big Ten have the contract. The Big Ten would have to allow the games to leave the Network, and that's just something that isn't happening. Fox doesn't have any control on that at all, it's ALL with the Big Ten.

And there is ZERO percent chance that ESPN gets 100%, but if one would I would put money on Fox since there isn't a chance they get nothing from the B1G. You continue to mention the BTN like the B1G wants nothing to do with Fox except co-run the BTN (Which Fox owns the majority of). They also have their FB Championship game on Fox, so it looks to me like over the last few years they have become more and more comfortable working with Fox and are starting to move away from ESPN but who cares about any of that evidence because DER ESPN IS DA BEST!!!!

You are the saddest most pessimistic person I have ever had the displeasure of conversing with. You wonder why people don't like you? This is it. To you the best case scenario for Fox is getting Tom Izzo to fart the Fox Sports jingle into a boom mic. You see nothing but disaster for us and our TV partners while seeing nothing but glory for those who would gladly see us fail. You are no friend of Georgetown or it's conference partners. You can complain to the folks at CSNBBS and talk to yourself over there until you're blue in the face on how we are all rose colored classes wearing lunatics. But please tell us all again about how many AAC schools will be in and how X and SJU can't possibly make the field.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:56 pm

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

And there is ZERO percent chance that ESPN gets 100%, but if one would I would put money on Fox since there isn't a chance they get nothing from the B1G. You continue to mention the BTN like the B1G wants nothing to do with Fox except co-run the BTN (Which Fox owns the majority of). They also have their FB Championship game on Fox, so it looks to me like over the last few years they have become more and more comfortable working with Fox and are starting to move away from ESPN but who cares about any of that evidence because DER ESPN IS DA BEST!!!!

You are the saddest most pessimistic person I have ever had the displeasure of conversing with. You wonder why people don't like you? This is it. To you the best case scenario for Fox is getting Tom Izzo to fart the Fox Sports jingle into a boom mic. You see nothing but disaster for us and our TV partners while seeing nothing but glory for those who would gladly see us fail. You are no friend of Georgetown or it's conference partners. You can complain to the folks at CSNBBS and talk to yourself over there until you're blue in the face on how we are all rose colored classes wearing lunatics. But please tell us all again about how many AAC schools will be in and how X and SJU can't possibly make the field.

The problem is you aren't realistic. There is NO chance that the Big Ten is leaving ESPN. NONE. Just look at the TV ratings. Even network- CBS blew the doors off of Fox for what was a much worse game in the same conference.... And I'm sorry- but the Big Ten isn't going to take a ton of games away from it's own network to create a package that would help Fox out enough. Even the package that ESPN has right now- like 3 games a week for basketball- that's not going to save FS1. I'm not a friend of FS1 because FS1 is not a viable option long term. They just do not have enough live sports rights to cover the entire year. We made a HUGE mistake leaving ESPN. I'm sorry but just look at the ratings. Our BEST game 2 weeks ago got 163,000 viewers. UConn/Memphis got 836,000 viewers- over 5x our best game. That's a joke. You can complain all you want- but those are the facts. When a AAC game between 5/6 gets 5x better than our best game, something is wrong. You may hate ESPN, but it is and will for the forseeable future be the #1 TV brand out there. Fox has an extremely uphill climb to get even to ESPN2(who showed a Cincy/Xavier game and drew 408K or about 2.5 times better than any FS1 game last week). The thing is, the Big Ten sees that.

I have said on here and over there that St John's is a lock. Like it or not, Xavier is NOT a lock- no team that could finish 18-14 is a lock. I've never said that X or SJU can't make the field. When I said a few weeks ago that UConn had a better chance it was totally because of the schedule- UConn's schedule WAS easier than St John's. You can bitch and moan about it, but any analyst would have said the exact same thing. And the thing is look at UConn. They could be 19-11 entering the AAC tourney, with a very good shot to make the title game at home. They have a very good shot of making the tourney.
stever20

Postby robinreed » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:18 pm

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

Redman,

I believe it should be "ESPN IST DAS BESTE!" but it has been almost 30 years since I have studied German. By the way ESPN game broadcasts ARE the best, it is their talking heads who are complete idiots and fools. However my belief is that Fox is improving. The quality gap on game broadcasts is narrowing greatly.
robinreed

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:NJ Redman, I implied or you inferred?

If that was what I intended, I would have said so and would say so now. You read into my post what you wanted to read into it.

And when did honest analysis become "gloom and doom," Pollyanna? No one's a bigger booster of the Big East than I am. But the conference is not going to move forward by putting its head in the sand and acting like everything is just fine.

Fox took a gamble on the Big East, betting that the league would do for their new cable sports channel what it did for ESPN 35 years ago

Thats implying that they expect us to be the back bone property who makes the channel a household name. Thats what we did 35 years ago.

Honest analysis is always welcome, but it better be grounded in reality. Your remarks were not. It's 10 years from when our contract runs out, saying we will be dropped or downgraded is gloom and doom.

You must really like to argue. I'm telling you that's not what I was saying, but you insist that it was. Oh, well . . . :roll:

I happen to know a lot about ESPN because I live near it, know a number of people who work there, and one of my friends is a VP who was part of the original staff from the first year of its existence. I don't know where you get the idea that when ESPN went to 24 hour programming, 12 months a year, that it did so with the idea that big East basketball would "the back bone property". Do you have any idea what they were broadcasting back then and how much diverse programming they needed to fill up all that time? It might behoove you to brush up on the history of ESPN.

The Big East provided exciting college basketball content for ESPN for a couple of months a year and from the beginning was part of a package of college basketball that included the early rounds of the NCAA tournament. I believe that's exactly what Fox was hoping for when it signed the Big East - an exciting conference that would draw significant interest in major TV markets and that would be part of a package of college basketball, just the way that the C7/Big east marketed itself.

I'm not being negative about the Big East. I hope only for its success. I'm identifying a major challenge that it faces, which is to build interest and ratings. You may be happy with the current ratings, but I doubt that Fox is. That's not a knock on the Big East. It is what it is and the conference must be honest about where it is in order to take on the challenges that lie ahead.
Bill Marsh

Postby NJRedman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:57 pm

stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:Um, no. The Big Ten is the one who controls the shots, not Fox. The Big Ten is NOT leaving ESPN. PERIOD. Ask Frank The Tank. ESPN like it or not is the gold standard. There is a ZERO percent chance that Fox gets everything. The Big Ten is all about 2 things. $$$ and exposure.

The problem is you aren't realistic. There is NO chance that the Big Ten is leaving ESPN. NONE. Just look at the TV ratings. Even network- CBS blew the doors off of Fox for what was a much worse game in the same conference.... And I'm sorry- but the Big Ten isn't going to take a ton of games away from it's own network to create a package that would help Fox out enough. Even the package that ESPN has right now- like 3 games a week for basketball- that's not going to save FS1. I'm not a friend of FS1 because FS1 is not a viable option long term. They just do not have enough live sports rights to cover the entire year. We made a HUGE mistake leaving ESPN. I'm sorry but just look at the ratings. Our BEST game 2 weeks ago got 163,000 viewers. UConn/Memphis got 836,000 viewers- over 5x our best game. That's a joke. You can complain all you want- but those are the facts. When a AAC game between 5/6 gets 5x better than our best game, something is wrong. You may hate ESPN, but it is and will for the forseeable future be the #1 TV brand out there. Fox has an extremely uphill climb to get even to ESPN2(who showed a Cincy/Xavier game and drew 408K or about 2.5 times better than any FS1 game last week). The thing is, the Big Ten sees that.

I have said on here and over there that St John's is a lock. Like it or not, Xavier is NOT a lock- no team that could finish 18-14 is a lock. I've never said that X or SJU can't make the field. When I said a few weeks ago that UConn had a better chance it was totally because of the schedule- UConn's schedule WAS easier than St John's. You can bitch and moan about it, but any analyst would have said the exact same thing. And the thing is look at UConn. They could be 19-11 entering the AAC tourney, with a very good shot to make the title game at home. They have a very good shot of making the tourney.

No one has said they will move games from BTN to FS1...NO ONE, but what should I expect from you, the constant goal post mover.

In the last 5 years they partnered with Fox on the BTN and when they finally got a CCG they put it on Fox. Yeah you're right, ESPN is so awesome who would leave them?

You're a joke. You think a channel in year 2 is supposed to be matching ESPN in their almost 40th year on TV? GTFOH, like it or not but the B1G has been leaving ESPN slowly and when they sign with Fox don't be surprised.

No one is talking about right now, in terms of SJU and X. You've been poo pooing their chances from the get go. You WANT us to fail. You thrive on it. You root against your (supposedly) own schools best interest and think people will take you seriously. Huge mistake leaving ESPN? The channel that wanted to regulate us to mid-major level and give us a deal similar to the A-10? Yeah, we made a huge F'in mistake taking all that money and getting a bunch of weekend games on the Fox network. Dude, this is why people here don't like you and don't listen to any of the chit you have to say. Once again, just go to CSNBBS and root against us there where you'll fit in just fine.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:NJ Redman, I implied or you inferred?

If that was what I intended, I would have said so and would say so now. You read into my post what you wanted to read into it.

And when did honest analysis become "gloom and doom," Pollyanna? No one's a bigger booster of the Big East than I am. But the conference is not going to move forward by putting its head in the sand and acting like everything is just fine.

Fox took a gamble on the Big East, betting that the league would do for their new cable sports channel what it did for ESPN 35 years ago

Thats implying that they expect us to be the back bone property who makes the channel a household name. Thats what we did 35 years ago.

Honest analysis is always welcome, but it better be grounded in reality. Your remarks were not. It's 10 years from when our contract runs out, saying we will be dropped or downgraded is gloom and doom.

You must really like to argue. I'm telling you that's not what I was saying, but you insist that it was. Oh, well . . . :roll:

I happen to know a lot about ESPN because I live near it, know a number of people who work there, and one of my friends is a VP who was part of the original staff from the first year of its existence. I don't know where you get the idea that when ESPN went to 24 hour programming, 12 months a year, that it did so with the idea that big East basketball would "the back bone property". Do you have any idea what they were broadcasting back then and how much diverse programming they needed to fill up all that time? It might behoove you to brush up on the history of ESPN.

The Big East provided exciting college basketball content for ESPN for a couple of months a year and from the beginning was part of a package of college basketball that included the early rounds of the NCAA tournament. I believe that's exactly what Fox was hoping for when it signed the Big East - an exciting conference that would draw significant interest in major TV markets and that would be part of a package of college basketball, just the way that the C7/Big east marketed itself.

I'm not being negative about the Big East. I hope only for its success. I'm identifying a major challenge that it faces, which is to build interest and ratings. You may be happy with the current ratings, but I doubt that Fox is. That's not a knock on the Big East. It is what it is and the conference must be honest about where it is in order to take on the challenges that lie ahead.

Oh god you and Stever need to get a room. NO ONE SAID WE ARE HAPPY WITH THE RATINGS!!!!!!!!!! We wish we were pulling in millions of viewers, but the low ratings aren't just on us. Fox barely advertised us last season, even failing to advertise us during the Super Bowl last year. Thats a huge failure on their part, not ours. Also you have to realize that we aren't going to change peoples viewing habits overnight. This short sighted BS has to stop. People on here want to talk about reality yet expect people to just forget about espn. We (Fox and the Big East) need to get people to realize that our channel exists, where it is on the dial and to get into the habit of casually popping it on like they do when they casually pop through the ESPN channels.

Look at what has happened this season, they increased advertising for us and put more games on OTA Fox and our ratings have increased. FS1 was airing the MLB playoffs which helps and when they get more properties like the World Cup in 3 years and possibly the B1G more people will start tuning in year round. It's a slow climb, but people expect instant results.

You said and I quote...

I'm identifying a major challenge that it faces, which is to build interest and ratings. You may be happy with the current ratings, but I doubt that Fox is.

BUILD INTEREST AND RATINGS!!!! BUILD...BUILD...BUILD! It's not gonna happen over night. We have shown an increase in both this season! How hard is it for you to understand even the words you are saying? We are doing just that, yet it's not good enough for you.

BTW you living close to ESPN doesn't mean jack chit. I live in the San Fernando Valley but I couldn't tell you how the porn business is run.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:31 pm

The problem though is ESPN this year has shown all of 45 games from the Big Ten. in 9 weeks. So that's an average of 4.5 per week. If they do a split package, I don't see them taking games off of the Big Ten Network to add more games. And even 4.5 games per week isn't going to be enough to help FS1 get mainstream enough.

BTN was 8 years ago, not 5 years ago. And the fact is they haven't left ESPN at all. Yeah they added something to Fox, but that was it.

I think a channel in year 2 should be getting more than 165k for it's best game of the week. When a supposedly mid major game between 5th and 6th place teams draws 5x the viewers something is wrong. The fact is, the Big East took $$$ instead of exposure. I think that is a MAJOR mistake.

Tonight's Butler/Georgetown game should be on ESPN. If it was, we'd get over a million viewers. Instead, we'll be lucky to draw 200k. Something is wrong with that...

I've said that SJU had a really tough road to hoe and that was 1000% right. All the media said the exact same thing-St John's has done a GREAT job to overcome that to get safe.. And Xavier- I said a few weeks ago when they had 8 losses already that it's tough to put them in a should be in status at that point because they had a lot more losses than a normal team at that point. And right now they're only 18-12 and it took a great last second win vs Cincy to get even there. Were it not for that- they would be in deep trouble right now... I've never said either of them couldn't get in, just that it's a very difficult situation for them to get in.. Now, if Xavier beats Creighton, yeah I say they're in. But right now, they haven't. Until they do, I'm not going to say they're a lock because well they aren't.

I look at things objectively and not emotionally...

And lastly- Cable/Network is MEANINGLESS in college basketball. Absolutely meaningless. Last year 7/10 top games were on Cable.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Couple of things... nothing new, just repeating from many posts over the years...

[EDITED FOR BREVITY]

- CNN was an unstoppable force 15 years ago.
- ESPN and FS1 have the same production quality.
- FS1 viewership has steadily increased.
- Viewers know ESPN is biased.
- NJRedman... chill with the abrasive language brother... a little more Boo Harvey and a little less Jayson Williams...
- Bill Marsh is one of my favorite posters here.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board