Buzz Williams V-Tech

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Buzz Williams V-Tech

Postby ChelseaFriar » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:VT is going to be absolutely buried every year by UVA, UNC, Cuse, Duke, UNC, Pitt, Miami, and probably even NC State. He had a great thing here in the Big East. Like UConn, he's realizing that separating from the conference that made you successful and was your best fit turned out to be a nightmare. If money is more important than winning then he got what he wanted.

Don't forget Louisville and maybe ND.
ChelseaFriar

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby robinreed » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:33 pm

I honestly can not understand why so many people on this site seem to hate Buzz. No one can say he was anything but an exceptional coach and clearly he did a good deal for Marquette. True he was not Al McGuire but neither is anyone else. I agree that Buzz made several undiplomatic and harsh remarks after leaving. There are many coaches in college sports who have done the same. I also agree that Buzz may have made a poor decision in going to VPI, only time will tell.

Generally "fans" only make derogatory remarks about losing coaches. It seems if some here want the opportunity to dump on a winner and enjoy doing so. Perhaps that is undiplomatic and harsh as well.
robinreed

Postby TheBall » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Buzz Williams for big east coach of the year has been a running joke on the nova board for years (some clown used to rave about how awesome buzzy was all the time, even after jay would beat him, that's where it stemmed from).

I always thought buzzy was a clown. I thought he was overpaid for his talent, I thought he was more a product of being at a very good program in terms of opportunity for success, and I simple didn't have much respect for him. I was happy when he left and marquette got to upgrade.
TheBall

Postby MUPanther » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Thred straight sweet 16, one being an elite 8 and a Big East title. Plus, Jay Crowder, Wes Matthews, Jimmy Butler and a tiny cup of coffee for Vander Blue in the NBA. Buzz did great at Marquette, but the bridges were burned.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby BEhomer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 pm

MUPanther wrote:Thred straight sweet 16, one being an elite 8 and a Big East title. Plus, Jay Crowder, Wes Matthews, Jimmy Butler and a tiny cup of coffee for Vander Blue in the NBA. Buzz did great at Marquette, but the bridges were burned.

I liked him as a coach at marquette. his team always out hustled opponents and he had them in the tourney consistently. can't argue with his success.

however, it was absolutely unnecessary what he said about big east. it's one thing to burn bridges with your former employer. he bad mouthed the entire conference. maybe he just wasn't a good character guy. I'm sure west virginia fans can attest to that.
BEhomer

Postby Steve Lavin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Idk how you can not hate him after making negative comments about our conference. The good news is he will be buried in the ACC. The ACC is so stacked, you can be a very good team and get left for dead.
Steve Lavin

Postby Whitefriar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:43 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:VT is going to be absolutely buried every year by UVA, UNC, Cuse, Duke, UNC, Pitt, Miami, and probably even NC State. He had a great thing here in the Big East. Like UConn, he's realizing that separating from the conference that made you successful and was your best fit turned out to be a nightmare. If money is more important than winning then he got what he wanted.

It's not really fair to judge for 3 - 4 years. First year taking over a dumpster fire is always rough, but he's done a good job (on paper) so far on the recruiting trail. He did a very good job at Marquette. I wouldn't be surprised if he has VT competing for an NCAA birth within a few years.
Whitefriar

Postby MUPanther » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:09 pm

BEhomer wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Thred straight sweet 16, one being an elite 8 and a Big East title. Plus, Jay Crowder, Wes Matthews, Jimmy Butler and a tiny cup of coffee for Vander Blue in the NBA. Buzz did great at Marquette, but the bridges were burned.

I liked him as a coach at marquette. his team always out hustled opponents and he had them in the tourney consistently. can't argue with his success.

however, it was absolutely unnecessary what he said about big east. it's one thing to burn bridges with your former employer. he bad mouthed the entire conference. maybe he just wasn't a good character guy. I'm sure west virginia fans can attest to that.

I agree in what he said about the current Big East/TV deal. As for the West Virginia fans, they can go screw themselves.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board