Buzz Williams V-Tech

The home for Big East hoops

Buzz Williams V-Tech

Postby TheBall » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:54 pm

We all knew that buzz going to v-tech was probably a bad idea, but I would not have guessed it would be this bad. Rpi is over 200, looking like a 20 loss season.

A lot of times coaches succeed because they are at an institution that puts them in position to succeed. That's always how I viewed buzz. I thought Marquette was overpaying him for the caliber of coach that he was, and I was one of those who cheered when Marquette got the opportunity to upgrade.

Meanwhile, wojo seems to be a pretty good coach who should have Marquette back in the tournament picture sooner rather than later. This was a trade that was beneficial for the league, despite buzz running around bad mouthing the big east after he bolted (when we all knew the real reason he left was because Marquette was going to start holding him to higher standards and buzzy didn't want to comply).
TheBall

Buzz Williams V-Tech

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Buzz Williams V-Tech

Postby DemonLS » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02 am

Guys,

I know 2 individuals who worked in the Marquette Athletic office. He was not only going to be held to higher standards but he was covering up some major player issues with the law.

I will leave it at that but it was much worse than you think. Many feel he was going be dismissed or fired if he did not find a new job thus the move to Virginia Tech.
DemonLS

Postby MarquetteRustler » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:12 pm

The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, the persona of Buzz couldn't be faker. It's hard not to dislike the guy after you come to the realization that every time he opens his mouth he's spewing pure bullsh--. I'm assuming that the VT basketball program will get the death penalty by the time Buzz leaves.
MarquetteRustler

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Until Buzz Williams decides to write his autobiography after he retires, we will never truly know the circumstances of his departure from Marquette. There have been numerous theories/stories as to the reasons why he left (being unofficially fired from MU, mutual parting of ways, him being told he couldn't recruit JUCOs anymore, his feelings on future of TV/viewership of Big East, etc.). I personally think it was a combination from all those factors.

From Marquette's side, I think the university and administrators got tired and frustrated with "off the court" issues with a number of players. I also think MU was getting tied of Buzz, year after year, making more and more demands to increase his power, salary and authority over the program (see Larry Williams', former AD, dismissal). It was well-known that the school wanted to improve its academic standards, and Buzz would have been hurt recruiting-wise if he wasn't able to get JUCOs.

From Buzz's side, I think he saw the writing on the wall with the new expectations/restrictions on recruiting and player misconduct would no longer be tolerated. He LOVED the Old Big East, with Boeheim, Pitino, Cronin, Dixon and Brey, and a majority of them are now in the ACC. Buzz was, reportedly, pursued, with some offers, by several schools over the years such as: Texas A&M, SMU, Oklahoma, USF, Auburn, Illinois and a few others I'm missing. The fact that he chose Virginia Tech was, and still is, mind-boggling. However, if you have ever met Buzz, he craves being an underdog. He loves, as his teams have shown, playing with a chip on their shoulder. What better place to build something than at a place like Virginia Tech?

Bottom line: Marquette and Buzz Williams are both better off with their new opportunities.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby NJRedman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Buzz deserves all the ire he gets from Big East fans for his bad mouthing the conference on his way out the door.
NJRedman

Postby Piratefan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:56 pm

I heard from credible sources that Buzz's days were numbered at Marq. I am betting that Marq has far more success over the next 5 years than Va Tech. Good riddance.
Piratefan

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Buzz essentially got kicked out if Marquette so he went with the lame excuse that v-tech was a better program because of conference affiliation. What a clown.
TheBall

Postby MUBoxer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:10 pm

Since 1955 we've made 80% of the postseasons with 12 coaches. Some programs are bigger than a coach and I think Buzz needs a place where he's bigger than the program
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Steve Lavin » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:34 pm

VT is going to be absolutely buried every year by UVA, UNC, Cuse, Duke, UNC, Pitt, Miami, and probably even NC State. He had a great thing here in the Big East. Like UConn, he's realizing that separating from the conference that made you successful and was your best fit turned out to be a nightmare. If money is more important than winning then he got what he wanted.
Steve Lavin

Postby RDinNY » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:VT is going to be absolutely buried every year by UVA, UNC, Cuse, Duke, UNC, Pitt, Miami, and probably even NC State. He had a great thing here in the Big East. Like UConn, he's realizing that separating from the conference that made you successful and was your best fit turned out to be a nightmare. If money is more important than winning then he got what he wanted.

Remember, he took a pay cut to go to Va Tech. He left a great program to go to a crap hole. I don't know about the background stuff that was mentioned here but, otherwise, it makes no sense. If, in fact, he was on thin ice at Marquette then it explains why he did it.
RDinNY

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board