Deangelo Harrison's FG Att in wins and losses

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Deangelo Harrison's FG Att in wins and losses

Postby Red Rooster » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:16 pm

If Pointer, Greene, and Jordan continue to bring it, and Harrison gets going again, then many team's hands will be full when dealing with the Johnnies.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Amase2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Why not include the 12 games before new years in which the team was 11-1?

13 shots a game during that stretch.

It has everything to do with Dom playing the best ball of his life and the rest of the team stepping up.
Amase2

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Amase2 wrote:Why not include the 12 games before new years in which the team was 11-1?

It has everything to do with Dom playing the best ball of his life and the rest of the team stepping up.

Because most of the teams they played prior to New Years were not very good, so it isn't the best indication of how the team performs against real competition.

So,etching was obviously wrong the first five weeks of conference play, and something has gone right the past three weeks. And as someone who watches all of St. John's games, one big difference has been harrison is playing more in control and allowing other teammates to be involved.

The development of the TEAM as opposed to harrison looking to pad his stats in losses is why I think St. John's has a chance to win ncaa tournament games. That's a good thing.
TheBall

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:39 am

Amase2 wrote:Why not include the 12 games before new years in which the team was 11-1?

Because 2/3 of the games before New Years were against way overmatched OOC opponents. 8/12 games were against teams ranked 134 or worse in Ken Pom.

Regardless, they've played their best ball of the season last 9 games, and Harrison isn't shooting anywhere near as much as he used to. I don't think either of those are questionable. Seems like there is at least some cause/effect going on there.
stever20

Postby Amase2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:19 pm

TheBall wrote:

Because most of the teams they played prior to New Years were not very good, so it isn't the best indication of how the team performs against real competition.

So,etching was obviously wrong the first five weeks of conference play, and something has gone right the past three weeks. And as someone who watches all of St. John's games, one big difference has been harrison is playing more in control and allowing other teammates to be involved.

The development of the TEAM as opposed to harrison looking to pad his stats in losses is why I think St. John's has a chance to win ncaa tournament games. That's a good thing.

Looking to pad his stats in losses. OK I see
Amase2

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:42 pm

The kid is a 2,100+ point scorer and has been hurt the last month. They played over matched teams in the non-con? Really? Most teams are doubling him which is opening up the scoring for the others who are stepping up.
redmen9194

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:48 pm

redmen9194 wrote:The kid is a 2,100+ point scorer and has been hurt the last month. They played over matched teams in the non-con? Really? Most teams are doubling him which is opening up the scoring for the others who are stepping up.

And the best St John's has played is the last 9 games since he's been there. They scored what 46 points 1st half on Saturday and he played 25 seconds.

And yes, they played 8 teams ranked 134 or worse OOC. That's the definition of over-matched.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:51 pm

TheBall wrote:

Im calling BS on this. If you did you wouldn't be making this argument.
NJRedman

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:16 pm

stever20 wrote:
redmen9194 wrote:The kid is a 2,100+ point scorer and has been hurt the last month. They played over matched teams in the non-con? Really? Most teams are doubling him which is opening up the scoring for the others who are stepping up.

And the best St John's has played is the last 9 games since he's been there. They scored what 46 points 1st half on Saturday and he played 25 seconds.

And yes, they played 8 teams ranked 134 or worse OOC. That's the definition of over-matched.

Thanks for the definition. I'll note it. Everyone loves to slam Harrison for some reason, but St. John's would not have half it's wins without him. His teammates are playing very well which is needed, but to minimize his role is ridiculous. But have at it - you seem to enjoy it.
redmen9194

Postby TheBall » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:31 pm

It's not slamming harrison. It is slamming the me first attitude he showed in some games this year. It is slamming Lavin moreso for allowing him to be selfish in losses.

I think most of us want st john's to succeed. I think we are happy they seem to have found a nice rhythm. I think the one thing that has changed is harrison's style of play, which has allowed for others to emerge.

I know the other side of that argument is that the other players started playing better, and that's why he is shooting less. But I think those guys were playing pretty well all along, but now they have more opportunities. Chicken before the egg argument or whatever, but the good thing is that they are playing better.

I would love to see harrison holding up a ncaa tournament regional mop award as he helps the johnnies to the final four. I am rooting for harrison, not against him.
TheBall

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board