Deangelo Harrison's FG Att in wins and losses

The home for Big East hoops

Postby TheBall » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Why is st john's playing better lately? Yes, pointer is big, but he has been playing well all yr, just under the radar.

Harrison's fg attempts in sju losses:
Total: 107 (13.3 av)

Harrison's fg attempts in sju wins
Total: 104 (11.5 avg)

(games since new years)

Team is better when deangelo is a little less shot happy
TheBall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Deangelo Harrison's FG Att in wins and losses

Postby RDinNY » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Not a significant difference. Look at ppg of the Pointer, Greene and Jordan in our losses and you will likely see a bigger explanation for losses (less so Pointer than the other two). Our home loss to Butler was without Jordan. That forced Harrison to shoot more.

One thing today's game ahowed is that we can beat a good team when Harrison is having an off night. Teams can just focus on stopping Harrison and expect to get a victory.
RDinNY

Postby TheBall » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:47 pm

It just seems like he is shooting less lately, and the team is playing much better.

I never really was critical of the sju "street ball offense" as others were earlier this year. I thought their make up allowed for it. Nova used to run a take 'em offense with foye and Lowry and Ray and that was fine. But when sju was struggling it just seemed to me that d-lo was chucking more than he should have been. I like the look of the team when he takes a few less shots per game. Allows others to get more involved.

Just one man's opinion.
TheBall

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:28 am

Harrison was in foul trouble yesterday and played only 20 minutes. That had something to do with why his shot attempts were down. St. John's has been playing at a really high level as a team lately, so it's good to see that other guys could pick it up when he was out.
Bill Marsh

Postby NJRedman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:10 pm

TheBall wrote:Why is st john's playing better lately? Yes, pointer is big, but he has been playing well all yr, just under the radar.

(games since new years)

So a difference of 3 shots is what you're going on? C'mon dude, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. He's the second leading scorer in the conference and a senior leader on the team. You're way off base here. This theory that he only scores in garbage time is just that, garbage since only three games all season where we actually had garbage time.
NJRedman

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm

It seems like the butler loss was really the turning point for the redmen. Since that loss, he is taking 10 shots per game. He was act 14 shots per game from the start of conference play through the butler game.

I don't think it is a coincidence. I think they play better team basketball when harrison pulls back a little bit in the field goal attempts category.

Feel free to disagree.
TheBall

Postby FriarsForever » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:06 pm

NJRedman wrote:
TheBall wrote:Why is st john's playing better lately? Yes, pointer is big, but he has been playing well all yr, just under the radar.

(games since new years)

So a difference of 3 shots is what you're going on? C'mon dude, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. He's the second leading scorer in the conference and a senior leader on the team. You're way off base here. This theory that he only scores in garbage time is just that, garbage since only three games all season where we actually had garbage time.

Lol, and an average shot difference of 1.8. Come on, Ball, you're better than that. Unless you truly do believe the difference between St. John's losing and winning a game is determined by 1.8 more shots by Harrison.
FriarsForever

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:20 pm

look at the numbers in first 7 conference games and last 9 conference games...
first 7-
-total of 110 avg of 15.7 team record 2-5

last 9 games-
total of 88 avg of 9.8 team record 7-2

Now look at Pointer-
1st 7 games- avg of 9.6 shots per game
last 9 games- avg of 12.2 shots per game

I think Lavin has gotten with Harrison and told him not to shoot as much. And it's showing- he's taken about a third fewer shots. And the teams success you can't argue with at all.
stever20

Postby RedStormHoops » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:40 pm

I think it's more so Branch, Greene, and Jordan all supplying the team with more offense.

Harrison has said multiple times he doesn't want to take too many shots and doesn't want to force. But Greene was in a shooting slump for part of conference play, branch wasn't looking for his shots, and Jordan had his head in the clouds.

On top that Harrison got hurt midway through the year and hasn't been as comfortable at times shooting because he hasn't been able to get as great a lift on his jumper with both calves injured.

If some guys on providence like Lindsey, Cartwright, Bentil started hitting a bunch of shots I'm sure hentons shot attempts would go down as well. That's the way it goes. For 3 years DLo had to carry the offense a lot and now he doesn't. Stop trying to paint him as a ball hog because ever since he's gotten back from suspension two years ago he has never been a ball hog and anyone who watches SJU hoops knows that.
RedStormHoops

Postby RDinNY » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:42 pm

Harrison has been hurt and has been in foul trouble in a few games. That has forced him to cut down on his shots. I don't know to what extent his injuries are still affecting his jumpshot but he is definitely in a bit of a slump. Fortunately, his teammates have been scoring, so he can afford to take fewer shots.

Pointer's numbers are up because he has developed a nice midrange jumper to go with his ability to get to the rim. Jordan (who had checked out mentally early in the season) has become a deep threat. All of those factors have resulted in wins for the Johnnies with fewer shots for Harrison. Last season, he and Jakarr Sampson were our main scoring options (Phil Green was the third). Until his teammates stepped up, we didn't know who else was going to give us scoring.

(Sorry if my post mirrors a lot of what Redstormhoops posted. I was typing whe he posted his.)
RDinNY

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board