Saturday Feb 28 games

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Saturday Feb 28 games

Postby RDinNY » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:29 am

Edrick wrote:That's just incorrect. Basketball (or any other sport) is not deterministic. What determines who is 'best' is who's distribution of results is typically better than other teams distribution. Of course Xavier intersects Providence that would result in wins, the percentages wouldn't even be that low. Most of the league is like that. The odds are obviously astronomical but the 'best' team in the conference could finish 0-18. Let's just say for this that they would win 8 of 10 vs the average team (generous), that means the odds of going 0-18 is just .2^18

Not deterministic. Stop thinking like that.

Huh? :?
RDinNY

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Amase2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:44 am

Anyone get a good look at the altercation between Rico Hines and Othella Harrington?
Amase2

Postby Red Rooster » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:53 am

Steve Lavin wrote: I have to admit I am one of the program's and Lavin's biggest critics

Yeah! We know Hooper/Joe3.
Red Rooster

Postby Red Rooster » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:54 am

Amase2 wrote:Anyone get a good look at the altercation between Rico Hines and Othella Harrington?

No one has said anything about it. They were probably seriously jawing at one another going into the half.
Red Rooster

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:04 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
Amase2 wrote:Anyone get a good look at the altercation between Rico Hines and Othella Harrington?

No one has said anything about it. They were probably seriously jawing at one another going into the half.

Little doubt? Creighton beat them in Cincinnati, so we could certainly do it again.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby RDinNY » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Red Rooster wrote:

I was at the game and didn't see it. I also watched on DVR and nothing was caught on camera. I didn't know about the T until I got home and read about it. I did see one of the refs warn Othella to sit down after he came onto the court after a call in the 2nd half. I thought he was gonna get a T then.
RDinNY

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:21 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Little doubt? Creighton beat them in Cincinnati, so we could certainly do it again.

Not saying that it's not possible for Creighton to win the game - especially since it's a home game for them.

Just saying that Xavier is easily the better team. Especially with the earlier loss to Creighton, Xavier players should really be up for the game to get revenge. Add to tht the fact that a tournament bid is essentially on the line for X and I just don't see them losing this game.
Bill Marsh

Postby NJRedman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Edrick wrote:That's just incorrect. Basketball (or any other sport) is not deterministic. What determines who is 'best' is who's distribution of results is typically better than other teams distribution. Of course Xavier intersects Providence that would result in wins, the percentages wouldn't even be that low. Most of the league is like that. The odds are obviously astronomical but the 'best' team in the conference could finish 0-18. Let's just say for this that they would win 8 of 10 vs the average team (generous), that means the odds of going 0-18 is just .2^18

Not deterministic. Stop thinking like that.

Um...if the best team in the conference went 0-18 then they weren't the best team in the conference. Even if the best team in the conference went 9-9 then they aren't the best team in the conference.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Good game Hoyas, maybe one day we'll play a close game in this new big east. haha
NJRedman

Postby RDinNY » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:40 pm

NJRedman wrote:Good game Hoyas, maybe one day we'll play a close game in this new big east. haha

Home court seems to be worth about 10 points in the Big East.
RDinNY

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board