CBS: Marv Albert and Len Elmore

#6 Villanova at Xavier, 2pm
FOX: Gus Johnson and Jim Jackson

#23 Butler at DePaul, 2pm
FS2: Tim Brando and Dickie Simpkins

Creighton at Seton Hall, 4pm
CBSSN: Tom McCarthy and Alaa Adbelnaby
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Saturday Feb 28 games

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Saturday Feb 28 games

Postby Steve Lavin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:21 pm

G'Town has our number, but this time they will have to win after already blowing us out (rare to sweep good teams in the Big East), on our senior night with a huge crowd on our home court. And hopefully Harrison and Obekpa have been getting plenty of ice and rest to be near 100%. We are also due for one of those games where we just light it up. Haven't had one in a while. Hopefully this is the game where everything clicks, because it guarantees a tourney berth and 6 teams in. 60% of a conference going to the tourney is insane. In a 16 team conference it equates to 9.6 (round to 10) teams in the tourney. That is almost the same as that insane old Big East year when we had 11 teams in. And the conference was worshipped for that getting tons of respect. Well, with the new Big East about to put up similar numbers, they better start showing some respect. I think we will need 2 or 3 of the teams to make the sweet 16 or better to really get the accolades from ESPN and the like.
Steve Lavin

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:G'Town has our number, but this time they will have to win after already blowing us out (rare to sweep good teams in the Big East), on our senior night with a huge crowd on our home court. And hopefully Harrison and Obekpa have been getting plenty of ice and rest to be near 100%. We are also due for one of those games where we just light it up. Haven't had one in a while. Hopefully this is the game where everything clicks, because it guarantees a tourney berth and 6 teams in. 60% of a conference going to the tourney is insane. In a 16 team conference it equates to 9.6 (round to 10) teams in the tourney. That is almost the same as that insane old Big East year when we had 11 teams in. And the conference was worshipped for that getting tons of respect. Well, with the new Big East about to put up similar numbers, they better start showing some respect. I think we will need 2 or 3 of the teams to make the sweet 16 or better to really get the accolades from ESPN and the like.

I remember when the Big east hot 7 teams of a 9 team conference in. :o
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:35 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:G'Town has our number, but this time they will have to win after already blowing us out (rare to sweep good teams in the Big East), on our senior night with a huge crowd on our home court. And hopefully Harrison and Obekpa have been getting plenty of ice and rest to be near 100%. We are also due for one of those games where we just light it up. Haven't had one in a while. Hopefully this is the game where everything clicks, because it guarantees a tourney berth and 6 teams in. 60% of a conference going to the tourney is insane. In a 16 team conference it equates to 9.6 (round to 10) teams in the tourney. That is almost the same as that insane old Big East year when we had 11 teams in. And the conference was worshipped for that getting tons of respect. Well, with the new Big East about to put up similar numbers, they better start showing some respect. I think we will need 2 or 3 of the teams to make the sweet 16 or better to really get the accolades from ESPN and the like.

Sorry but Xavier just isn't a guarantee yet. They need 1 more win just like St John's does. 18-14 gets them up to a 62 RPI with 14 losses. That combo doesn't get you in the tourney ever.

you say what difference does 1 win make?
losing out:
own record 14.4-12 .545 62.3 projected RPI

just 1 win at Creighton:
own record: 15-8-11.4 .581 51.3 projected RPI
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:37 pm

stever20 wrote:

Sorry but Xavier just isn't a guarantee yet. They need 1 more win just like St John's does. 18-14 gets them up to a 62 RPI with 14 losses. That combo doesn't get you in the tourney ever.

losing out:

just 1 win at Creighton:

Xavier isn't even on the bubble any more according to ESPN. :D

http://www.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch
Bill Marsh

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:13 pm

stever20 wrote:

losing out:

just 1 win at Creighton:

There goes Stever moving the goal posts again. I recall a statement form Stever in which he said: "like it or not RPI is still a significant part of the selection process." Well Stever here you go:

Xavier = 30
St. john's = 31
Mich St = 32
Temple = 33
Indiana = 35
Ohio St = 39
Tulsa = 41
Cincy = 54 (What!!???)
- Remember when I said that the AAC could potentially send only 2 teams to the tourney? If Tulsa, Temple or Cincy slip up...uh, oh!

BTW, your other tourney teams from 2 weeks ago:
UCONN = 75
FL = 89
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:24 pm

It's kind'va funny, that not one game is on FS1. It's great to see two games on free tv, CBS and FOX.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:27 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:

losing out:

just 1 win at Creighton:

There goes Stever moving the goal posts again. I recall a statement form Stever in which he said: "like it or not RPI is still a significant part of the selection process." Well Stever here you go:

Xavier = 30
St. john's = 31
Mich St = 32
Temple = 33
Indiana = 35
Ohio St = 39
Tulsa = 41
Cincy = 54 (What!!???)
- Remember when I said that the AAC could potentially send only 2 teams to the tourney? If Tulsa, Temple or Cincy slip up...uh, oh!

UCONN = 75
FL = 89

Dude I haven't moved the goalposts 1 bit. I said weeks ago Xavier at 18-14 probably doesn't get in. You add 3 losses to any teams resume and you are going to see the RPI plummet. Especially when 1 is a home loss and another is vs one of the bottom 2 positions. If Xavier is 18-14, they will not have a 30 RPI. I'll ban myself from the site if they do have a 30 RPI.

And once again- the tourney selection isn't based on Feb 26. It's based on March 15. Xavier is not a lock by any measure.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:50 pm

stever20 wrote:And once again- the tourney selection isn't based on Feb 26. It's based on March 15. Xavier is not a lock by any measure.

I have been screaming for 2 weeks that decisions are made at the end of the season and that I simply had faith that X and SJU had what it took to make the tourney. Now you agree that decisions are made in March and not Feb after explaining to everyone for 3 weeks who was and wasn't going to make it. You kept selling me on UCONN, Cincy, Tulsa and FL instead of SJU and X, who people on this board have a rooting interest in.

Any team that is currently ranked RPI 30 or higher would be in trouble if they lost 3 straight at this time of year. Why not just say X and every other team from RPI 29 to 55 can't afford to lose the rest of their games and expect to get a bid? Everyone would get that. Mich St might fit that description, or maybe GA or Okl St. But you single out X. Why? Because you have an agenda and you enjoy managing everyone's expectations on this board, every chance you get. X beats Cincy and Butler and your reaction: "uh oh Butler may drop to a 7-8 seed."

Whatever.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:44 pm

stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:Sorry but Xavier just isn't a guarantee yet. They need 1 more win just like St John's does. 18-14 gets them up to a 62 RPI with 14 losses. That combo doesn't get you in the tourney ever.

losing out:

just 1 win at Creighton:

Xavier = 30
St. john's = 31
Mich St = 32
Temple = 33
Indiana = 35
Ohio St = 39
Tulsa = 41
Cincy = 54 (What!!???)

UCONN = 75
FL = 89

Dude I haven't moved the goalposts 1 bit. I said weeks ago Xavier at 18-14 probably doesn't get in. You add 3 losses to any teams resume and you are going to see the RPI plummet. Especially when 1 is a home loss and another is vs one of the bottom 2 positions. If Xavier is 18-14, they will not have a 30 RPI. I'll ban myself from the site if they do have a 30 RPI.

And once again- the tourney selection isn't based on Feb 26. It's based on March 15. Xavier is not a lock by any measure.

Yes, Steve, you are moving the goal posts:

Goal Post #1 - "like it or not, RPI is still a significant part of the selection process."

Even if the lose their last 3 games, Xavier projected RPI IS 48, good enough to put just about any team in. But when Xavier meets Goal Post #1, you introduce:

Goal Post #2 - "Regardless of the RPI, the committee will never give a bid to an 18-14 team."
Bill Marsh

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board