Mock Selection of Tournament Bracket

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Mock Selection of Tournament Bracket

Postby Bluejay » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:29 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Interesting article:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ncaa- ... e-arizona/

Consider this paragraph:

2. Geography drives everything when it comes to planning the regions.

When we assigned matchups, the very first thing mentioned with literally every team was which site was closest to its campus. This surprised me. It makes sense to do this with the top few seeds since it gives them more fan support. But why do it for the lower seeds? "To make travel less burdensome on the players and coaches" was the reason that kept popping up, but come on - it's 2015. Teams aren't riding covered wagons and fording rivers to get to their games. Is the difference between a two-hour flight and a five-hour flight - on a chartered plane, mind you - really worth losing some competitive balance in the bracket?

This guy really gets it when it comes to modern travel! 8-)

Considering that the NCAA doesn't usually pay for charter flights, I'd say he doesn't really get it all. (A few years back, there was a widely circulated story about a school that had travel difficulties getting to the first round site and ended up having to charter some buses due to airline cancellations).

Personally, I think it makes sense to try to have schools play as close to their home as possible so that it is easier for fans to make the trip. This is especially true for schools from non-power conferences that are only going to be playing in one game or so. I like the idea of giving fans a break when possible and giving them a better chance to see their team play tourney games in person. I am, however, absolutely opposed to giving a team a game closer to home if it means that the better seeded team now has to deal with a road-type atmosphere.

I have yet to see a coach, when asked "What site would you most like to be sent to?" respond with "Well, we have given this a lot of thought and we would prefer the site that is farthest away from our school."
Bluejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Bluejay wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Interesting article:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ncaa- ... e-arizona/

Consider this paragraph:

2. Geography drives everything when it comes to planning the regions.

When we assigned matchups, the very first thing mentioned with literally every team was which site was closest to its campus. This surprised me. It makes sense to do this with the top few seeds since it gives them more fan support. But why do it for the lower seeds? "To make travel less burdensome on the players and coaches" was the reason that kept popping up, but come on - it's 2015. Teams aren't riding covered wagons and fording rivers to get to their games. Is the difference between a two-hour flight and a five-hour flight - on a chartered plane, mind you - really worth losing some competitive balance in the bracket?

This guy really gets it when it comes to modern travel! 8-)

Considering that the NCAA doesn't usually pay for charter flights, I'd say he doesn't really get it all. (A few years back, there was a widely circulated story about a school that had travel difficulties getting to the first round site and ended up having to charter some buses due to airline cancellations).

Personally, I think it makes sense to try to have schools play as close to their home as possible so that it is easier for fans to make the trip. This is especially true for schools from non-power conferences that are only going to be playing in one game or so. I like the idea of giving fans a break when possible and giving them a better chance to see their team play tourney games in person. I am, however, absolutely opposed to giving a team a game closer to home if it means that the better seeded team now has to deal with a road-type atmosphere.

I have yet to see a coach, when asked "What site would you most like to be sent to?" respond with "Well, we have given this a lot of thought and we would prefer the site that is farthest away from our school."

Yet it happens all the time:

Last year:

3 Iowa St had to play 7 Uconn in MSG in the sweet 16 ( this was the result of an upset, but they should consider the possibility)

1 Arizona had to play4 San Diego St in Anaheim in the sweet 16 (no upset required)

3 Creighton had to to play 6 Baylor in San Antonio in the second round ( no upset required)

6 Umass had to play 11 Tennessee in Raleigh in the first round
hoyahooligan

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board