Tue Feb 24th, 2G, PC-VU, Creighton-DePaul...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Tue Feb 24th, 2G, PC-VU, Creighton-DePaul...

Postby billyjack » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 am

You know, PC cut it to 6 with around 17 minutes left. At that point, the visual feed on FS1 experienced technical difficulties. I think Hilliard hit two 3-pointers during the time the viewers and the Friars (apparently) couldn't see the court.

Great game for Villanova. Definitely deserve a NCAA 1-seed, and definitely are national title contenders.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:18 am

billyjack wrote:You know, PC cut it to 6 with around 17 minutes left. At that point, the visual feed on FS1 experienced technical difficulties. I think Hilliard hit two 3-pointers during the time the viewers and the Friars (apparently) couldn't see the court.

Great game for Villanova. Definitely deserve a NCAA 1-seed, and definitely are national title contenders.

I didn't realize that the term "shooting lights out" was literal. Whenever FS1 lost the feed DH hit another 3.

Tough spot for PC--at the Pavillion where we play our best and on Sr Night, and without a starter.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:50 am

Villanova was extremely impressive. Obviously their shooting was great, but their defense was even better.

This game exposed some Providence weaknesses IMO, which have been just below the surface for a while.

1. Cooley kept them in the zone for a long time, daring Villanova to shoot over them, which the Wildcats were happy to oblige. But there must have been a reason he stayed with it. When Villanova took the ball to the basket, the Friars didn't seem to be able to guard them.

2. Kris Dunn is dominating the ball too much. His penetration is great, but instead of kicking it out when he draws the defense, he is forcing shots and missing or turning the ball over. He's got to distribute the ball more instead of looking for his own shot,

3. Can anyone on this team shoot? Dunn certainly hasn't been a consistent perimeter threat. Tyler Harris was great last night, but he and Henton seem more like complementary scorers on the perimeter who can spot up rather than create their own shot or shoot a 3 under pressure. That worked perfectly last year when Cotton was the primary scorer, but despite Henron's big numbers, this year's team really seems to lack a go to scorer. St. John's has one. Villanova and .goergetown each have several. PC has to back to the drawing board and rethink their offense.

4. Jalen Lindsey has not become the scoring threat that they hoped for. When Cartwright is in the game, he is not a 3 point threat. They really miss Josh Fortune at the 2 guard.
Bill Marsh

Postby TrueBlueJay » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:10 am

This just in from the "who cares" desk....Creighton won at DePaul last night.
TrueBlueJay

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:41 am

TrueBlueJay wrote:This just in from the "who cares" desk....Creighton won at DePaul last night.

A loss like that at home has to be maddening for DePaul fans. Destroys whatever good will Purnell had built up. Expect the drum beat for his firing to get even louder. :x
Bill Marsh

Postby FlyJays » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:09 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
TrueBlueJay wrote:This just in from the "who cares" desk....Creighton won at DePaul last night.

A loss like that at home has to be maddening for DePaul fans. Destroys whatever good will Purnell had built up. Expect the drum beat for his firing to get even louder. :x

Two teams headed in entirely different directions, and it's reflective of the coaching.

Creighton started 0-8 in the league and could have given up on the entire season. Instead, they are 4-3 over their last 7 league games, and are not an easy win for anyone right now.

DePaul was in 1st place in the league after a few weeks of conference play, and now they've now managed to completely throw away their season.

Mac has coached up Creighton, while DePaul has regressed significantly as the season has gone on; that's not a good look for Purnell.
FlyJays

Postby billyjack » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:51 am

After PC was hit in the head with a 2x4 in Philly, I was able catch a lot of the really entertaining (seriously) Creighton-DePaul game.

- Creighton got out to a fast start, going up 22-9 or so.
- DePaul at that point got it into gear, and got it to within a handful of points at the half.
- For the last 10 minutes, the game was tight, with the Jays mostly holding a small lead before pulling away in the last couple of minutes for good... CU got a huge offensive rebound after running 32 seconds off the clock with around 2:30 to play.

- DePaul works best on offense when Billy Garrett Jr drives to the hoop, and either lays it in, gets fouled, or kicks back out for a 3-pointer. Crockett can hit the 3, and Forrest Robinson (though I've been critical of him shooting too many 3's) can sometimes get hot. When Garrett is on the bench, the offense degrades into just jacking up 3's with a guy in their face... though occasionally they try to get it to Hamilton IV, which often results in a turnover. They really don't have any offensive "plays"... more just let Garrett create.

- Defense is where DePaul loses their games, because they go through chunks of time with mental lapses and/or a low energy/urgency. This is where my biggest gripe is with Oliver. At this point in his time at DePaul, and at this point in the year, some Demons still just look completely lost on defense. Or worse, show low effort and kinda jog around like there's no sense of urgency (lapsing back into their attitude in their games vs Ohio U and Loyola Marymount). Late 2nd half, close game, big possession, Robinson was wandering out on the PG at the top of the key I think trying to double-team someone maybe (?), and Artino was left under the basket for a dunk with nobody within 15 feet of him. Early in the game, DePaul put on an extremely soft double-team on Groselle of all people, leaving Kreklow completely open for an easy 3.

- Anyway, those are a couple of thoughts of mine from last night.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ivet » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 pm

billyjack wrote:After PC was hit in the head with a 2x4 in Philly, I was able catch a lot of the really entertaining (seriously) Creighton-DePaul game.

- Creighton got out to a fast start, going up 22-9 or so.
- DePaul at that point got it into gear, and got it to within a handful of points at the half.
- For the last 10 minutes, the game was tight, with the Jays mostly holding a small lead before pulling away in the last couple of minutes for good... CU got a huge offensive rebound after running 32 seconds off the clock with around 2:30 to play.

- DePaul works best on offense when Billy Garrett Jr drives to the hoop, and either lays it in, gets fouled, or kicks back out for a 3-pointer. Crockett can hit the 3, and Forrest Robinson (though I've been critical of him shooting too many 3's) can sometimes get hot. When Garrett is on the bench, the offense degrades into just jacking up 3's with a guy in their face... though occasionally they try to get it to Hamilton IV, which often results in a turnover. They really don't have any offensive "plays"... more just let Garrett create.

- Defense is where DePaul loses their games, because they go through chunks of time with mental lapses and/or a low energy/urgency. This is where my biggest gripe is with Oliver. At this point in his time at DePaul, and at this point in the year, some Demons still just look completely lost on defense. Or worse, show low effort and kinda jog around like there's no sense of urgency (lapsing back into their attitude in their games vs Ohio U and Loyola Marymount). Late 2nd half, close game, big possession, Robinson was wandering out on the PG at the top of the key I think trying to double-team someone maybe (?), and Artino was left under the basket for a dunk with nobody within 15 feet of him. Early in the game, DePaul put on an extremely soft double-team on Groselle of all people, leaving Kreklow completely open for an easy 3.

- Anyway, those are a couple of thoughts of mine from last night.

They lost the game because DePaul decided to chuck up as many 3 point shots early on even though they were not falling. Factor in the fact that DePaul is one of the worst rebounding teams in the country and Creighton capitalizing on the other end, they dug themselves a big deficit early on and had a hard time climbing back. They did keep it close a couple of times in the second half but i think OP got out coached last night.
ivet

Postby Peter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:11 pm

I've watched parts of a couple Creighton games this year and I honestly don't think they have many guys who should even be playing in the BE. Take that as a compliment Jays fans. I think if McD can get the players he will coach them up and you will contend. Now you just need the players or a stud recruiter to get them.
Peter

Postby Boyee » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 pm

What DePaul really needs is a new Director of Athletics and a new Head Coach.
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board