Omari Spellman To Villanova

The home for Big East hoops

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Google him. Jay Wright lands another stud, and more importantly for Villanova, a big man stud.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Omari Spellman To Villanova

Postby BigmanU » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:34 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Google him. Jay Wright lands another stud, and more importantly for Villanova, a big man stud.

Talks of the BEasts demise have been extremely exaggerated. Great pick up by Nova!
BigmanU

Postby Steve Lavin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:10 pm

Very nice pickup! I swear Nova fans are spoiled rotten. Don't take this the wrong way, it's all well-deserved but getting ref calls every year, no major injuries to key guys, great recruiting, always in the top 10-15, great coach, crazy consistent, and a NCAA tourney berth is never in doubt…only Sweet 16, Elite 8, or Final 4 is the worry.

If they had to walk a day in a SJU or SHU fan's shoes I think they'd be shocked what we put up with!
Steve Lavin

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Top 25
Bill Marsh

Postby TheBall » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Holy crap.

Didn't even have this guy on my radar as I thought he was a complete long shot.

Nova recruited well in the old big east, but it is just as good in the new big east. Thank you fosx sports 1!!!
TheBall

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Villanova was up against Kentucky, Ohio State, UCLA, UConn, Pitt, Arizona, Miami, West Virginia, Virginia, Florida, Indiana, Wake Forest, St. John’s and Seton Hall in no order.

To say Jay beat out the big boys is an understatement.

This is BIG for the BIG EAST!
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:Very nice pickup! I swear Nova fans are spoiled rotten. Don't take this the wrong way, it's all well-deserved but getting ref calls every year, no major injuries to key guys, great recruiting, always in the top 10-15, great coach, crazy consistent, and a NCAA tourney berth is never in doubt…only Sweet 16, Elite 8, or Final 4 is the worry.

If they had to walk a day in a SJU or SHU fan's shoes I think they'd be shocked what we put up with!

Thanks SL. The last few years we have been a bit spoiled but it's less good/lucky fortune and more about JW and staff and hard work. He learned his lesson a few years back when we brought in the #2 recruiting class but they weren't willing to work. And injuries...? The era of Foye, Lowry, Ray & Nardi would have most certainly won a NC had Curtis Sumpter not blown out his ACL and Jason Fraser not killed both knees. I call that Karma.

Brunson in '15 and Spellman in '16. Yeah, we feel pretty good about our chances moving forward. All good for the BE to boot as he'll be battling with the Ellenson's and Delgados for a few years.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Steve Lavin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:44 pm

One thing that the experts were dead wrong about was that the Big East would take a big hit recruiting wise. Clearly, top recruits see us as a power conference still. Even SJU just got Sampson (4 star), supposedly in good standing with Lovett (4 star), and long shot but in the running for Diallo (5 star). Even Briscoe was down to SJU and UK. We know who won that (not surprising), but just to either be in serious contention with the blue bloods for these kids or even landing them proves the experts wrong.

What other conference recruits this well from top to bottom? It's not just Nova, but also PC, G'Town, SHU, SJU, Marquette, Butler, Xavier, etc. not really sure where Creighton is at recruiting wise but they will definitely get their share too.

P.S.** Even if SJU lands a Lovett commitment, word is that he will not qualify. So I won't get my hopes up.
Steve Lavin

Postby DeltaV » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:Very nice pickup! I swear Nova fans are spoiled rotten. Don't take this the wrong way, it's all well-deserved but getting ref calls every year, no major injuries to key guys, great recruiting, always in the top 10-15, great coach, crazy consistent, and a NCAA tourney berth is never in doubt…only Sweet 16, Elite 8, or Final 4 is the worry.

I was a fan during some of the pain of the late 90's, and was in school to be fired up when Jay's plans started coming to fruition ~2004.

I will admit that we have had luck with regards to injuries (knock on wood)...credit is probably due to the training staff for at least some of that. I can't give too much insight into that from my time there; swimmers have a tendency to handle our injuries on our own.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby BEhomer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:53 pm

nova just keeps loading up. brunson next year and spellman year after that.

i heard jay wright on number of occasions talking about how basketball-only league is not a negative but a positive sell to recruits. it certainly seems to be working.

the league needs at least one more team to challenge nova at the top.
BEhomer

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board