Next years BEast PG's

The home for Big East hoops

Next years BEast PG's

Postby BigmanU » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:13 am

I was looking over the BEast teams next year and was wondering who will be next years floor generals.

Marquette will be loading up with a great recruiting class but, who will run the show??
Dee Davis runs that high powered offense, who fills his shoes??

Starting Point Guards next year??

Butler-Tyler Lewis
Creighton-M. Watson Jr.
DePaul-Garrett Jr.
Georgetown-DSR/Tre Campbell
Marquette-???
Providence-Dunn (NBA?)/Kyron Cartwright
Seton Hall-S. Gibbs (Transfer?)/Khadeen Carrington
St. John's-R. Jordan (Draft/Transfer?)/Brandon Sampson
Villanova-Ryan A/Jalen Brunson
Xavier ???

Any input and adjustments are welcome!
Last edited by BigmanU on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
BigmanU

Next years BEast PG's

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Next years BEast PG's

Postby EMT » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:16 am

Cartwright has been a good backup and has had to guard Dunn every day. I expect him to continue to improve.
EMT

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:42 am

I'd put question marks next to Jordan and Gibbs. They may not return next year.
hoyahooligan

Postby RDinNY » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 pm

For St. John's, word is that Jordan is definitely gone. I'm not sure where he is going, but... Sampson is not a pg. Hopefully, he will not be forced to play there. Samir Doughty is a combo guard but who knows if he is Big East ready. We are recruiting Marcus Lovett but there are questions abou him qualifying due to multiple transfers. Other possible options are Mussini from Italy (no idea how likely) and Arkyazili from Belgium (visiting next weekend and will be at Xavier game).
RDinNY

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Xavier will probably be handing off the reigns to now-freshman Larry Austin Jr. He has impressed me when he has played, problem is that hasn't been very often. So it will probably be rough at first, but he will be our PG for the foreseeable future. They might have Myles Davis and Remy Abell do some rotation PG as well to smooth the transition. We do have a PG in Brandon Randolph but he is more of a combo guard. And I believe Edmond Sumner might be a PG but not sure.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby BigmanU » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:18 pm

RDinNY wrote:For St. John's, word is that Jordan is definitely gone. I'm not sure where he is going, but... Sampson is not a pg. Hopefully, he will not be forced to play there. Samir Doughty is a combo guard but who knows if he is Big East ready. We are recruiting Marcus Lovett but there are questions abou him qualifying due to multiple transfers. Other possible options are Mussini from Italy (no idea how likely) and Arkyazili from Belgium (visiting next weekend and will be at Xavier game).

Thanks for the insight! I didn't realize they had that many balls in the air.

I only listed Sampson because everyone was listing him as a combo. I figured a big time recruit would have the ball in his hands from day 1, being as the Johnnies will not have an established backcourt.
BigmanU

Postby BigmanU » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:20 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Xavier will probably be handing off the reigns to now-freshman Larry Austin Jr. He has impressed me when he has played, problem is that hasn't been very often. So it will probably be rough at first, but he will be our PG for the foreseeable future. They might have Myles Davis and Remy Abell do some rotation PG as well to smooth the transition. We do have a PG in Brandon Randolph but he is more of a combo guard. And I believe Edmond Sumner might be a PG but not sure.

I hope they keep Myles Davis of the ball because he is a deadly shooter. I wish Georgetown had that luxury with DSR.
BigmanU

Postby Edrick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 pm

PG today isn't the same position as it was even a decade ago. With pretty much everyone running high ball screen offense (thank you NBA), point guards are shooters. Go under screen? Bam

This is just how it is.
Edrick

Postby RDinNY » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:57 pm

BigmanU wrote:
RDinNY wrote:For St. John's, word is that Jordan is definitely gone. I'm not sure where he is going, but... Sampson is not a pg. Hopefully, he will not be forced to play there. Samir Doughty is a combo guard but who knows if he is Big East ready. We are recruiting Marcus Lovett but there are questions abou him qualifying due to multiple transfers. Other possible options are Mussini from Italy (no idea how likely) and Arkyazili from Belgium (visiting next weekend and will be at Xavier game).

Thanks for the insight! I didn't realize they had that many balls in the air.

I only listed Sampson because everyone was listing him as a combo. I figured a big time recruit would have the ball in his hands from day 1, being as the Johnnies will not have an established backcourt.

Lot's of balls at St. john's. :D
RDinNY

Postby Frambo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:33 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Xavier will probably be handing off the reigns to now-freshman Larry Austin Jr. He has impressed me when he has played, problem is that hasn't been very often. So it will probably be rough at first, but he will be our PG for the foreseeable future. They might have Myles Davis and Remy Abell do some rotation PG as well to smooth the transition. We do have a PG in Brandon Randolph but he is more of a combo guard. And I believe Edmond Sumner might be a PG but not sure.

You might be right, but my bet is on Sumner. I got the chance to see him practice before the Brazil trip and in the preseason, too. He is 6'6, with a great handle and he has great speed getting to the basket. I was very impressed with him on the open court. Wish he could have played this year, but hopefully he will be full strength for next year.
Frambo

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board