Sat. Feb 21 games (4)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Sat. Feb 21 games (4)

Postby hoyahooligan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Wasn't pretty, but a win is a win. Survived the trap game. Avoided the last possible bad loss. Hoyas are now a lock for the tournament with 10 BE wins.
Win out and get the 2 seed.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:22 am

All the "correct" teams won today, great job!
Jet915

Postby pki1998 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:09 am

Steve Lavin wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:If we don't beat the brakes off of SHU tomorrow, this is clearly not a tourney team. Literally the two players that killed us last time are the same ones who won't be playing. They are leaving 24 average points off the team tomorrow. Home game, tourney on the line, last game at CA for seniors, revenge game, and a much weakened SHU team in turmoil. Sounds like an easy win right? It should be, but with SJU you never know. With Harrison and Obekpa already very banged up it wouldn't shock me if it came right down to the last basket or two. If it does, shame on us, because we need a blowout to rest Harrison and Obekpa.

If we can beat SHU then we are looking at needing 2 more wins.

We'd still have home games vs. Xavier and G'town, plus away games at Marquette and Nova. So we need any two wins from those. I'd say our best chance is beating Xavier at home, losing to G'Town, beating Marquette away, and losing to Nova at home. 2-2 to finish the season and would put us at 20-11 (9-9). Then win 1-2 games in the BET and we are surely in. Since we never win BET games, I feel as if we are far overdue to win a few this year. At some point the law of averages comes into play. If we can somehow beat Nova (their minds might be on the Final Four and not St. John's) then we can get in easily without any BET wins.

I always wondered what it feels like to sit back around this time of year knowing your team is easily in and allowing your stars to rest up. This feels like a replay of last year. Right on the bubble, tough end of the schedule but doable. Hopefully this year we don't fall flat again.

Don't disagree with what you are saying, but remember, you would actually only be 19-11 for RPI purposes. The Franklin Pearce game doesn't count.

I think the key for St John's in the BET is to avoid at first either Butler or Georgetown. Just 2 pretty poor matchups(0-3 against with 2 blowouts), vs Providence/Xavier(3-0 with closest game being a 8 point win).

I don't think a team has ever been kept out for that reason…scheduling a D-II team…so what? Other teams do also. I would still expect at least 1 BET anyway so that's 20 either way you slice it. I don't care who we play in the opener, because we have not won ANY tourney games yet. That has to change. And it will at some point. Maybe this year, maybe next.

I'm sorry but there is no excuse for a Big East school to ever schedule a d2 school, other than as an exhibition game. The Big East should put a ban on playing d2 schools during the regular season in the bylaws
Xavier
pki1998

Postby shupirate98 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:29 am

St. John's didn't schedule a D2 game, they had one scheduled for them by the Preseason NIT which has fallen so far in stature that it can't even round up enough D1 teams to fill its tournament.
shupirate98

Postby RDinNY » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:39 am

When St. John's committed to the preseason NIT, it was supposed to have a 16 team field. It had trouble filling the field and went down to 8---one being a D2 team. Pathetic but out of our control. The only thing we could have done was withdraw but the school chose to honor its commitment.
RDinNY

Postby NJRedman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:14 am

pki1998 wrote:I'm sorry but there is no excuse for a Big East school to ever schedule a d2 school, other than as an exhibition game. The Big East should put a ban on playing d2 schools during the regular season in the bylaws

I guess we should pull out of the Maui Invitational next year because Chaminade is going to be in the tournament...like they are every year. :lol:
NJRedman

Postby Steve Lavin » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:15 pm

The DII game won't matter at all. If we win our two home games (which can go either way) vs. Xavier and G'Town, we are a lock according to Lunardi. And that would still put us at the "19 wins" some picky people point out because the DII win wouldn't count. Doesn't matter, so why even bring it up?

The only way that game could have hurt us is if we lost.
Steve Lavin

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:The DII game won't matter at all. If we win our two home games (which can go either way) vs. Xavier and G'Town, we are a lock according to Lunardi. And that would still put us at the "19 wins" some picky people point out because the DII win wouldn't count. Doesn't matter, so why even bring it up?

The thing is though it could absolutely come up if you only split with Georgetown and Xavier. That gets you to 17 wins. add Marquette and you are at 18. So at that point, it absolutely would matter.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:35 pm

stever20 wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:The DII game won't matter at all. If we win our two home games (which can go either way) vs. Xavier and G'Town, we are a lock according to Lunardi. And that would still put us at the "19 wins" some picky people point out because the DII win wouldn't count. Doesn't matter, so why even bring it up?

The thing is though it could absolutely come up if you only split with Georgetown and Xavier. That gets you to 17 wins. add Marquette and you are at 18. So at that point, it absolutely would matter.

No, we would have 18 wins with a game against Marquette. We're 18-9 right now Mr. Negative, so if you take off that DII win that was force on us and we are already at 17. If we split with X and GTown then we are at 18 wins with a game against Marquette next.
NJRedman

Postby Red Rooster » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:58 pm

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:

No, we would have 18 wins with a game against Marquette. We're 18-9 right now Mr. Negative, so if you take off that DII win that was force on us and we are already at 17. If we split with X and GTown then we are at 18 wins with a game against Marquette next.

Stever isn't too bright, a conspiracy theorists, or both.
Red Rooster

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board