ESPN Bracketology 2-19

The home for Big East hoops

Re: ESPN Bracketology 2-19

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:00 am

Best thing Dayton that ever happened to Dayton was Xavier leaving the conference. I don't know if its some weird psychological thing, but it seems too coincidental that they finally get good after Xavier leaves the A-10.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ta111 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:06 am

murphy wrote:
BEX wrote:Temple joined the A-10 in '82, Xavier '95. One wonders where Dayton would finish with Temple, Butler and Xavier still in the conference and with their recent add of G Mason, etc..

Not totally sure where they would end up in the A10 standings with Temple and XU back in the A10, but we can look at their run against the power conference elite in the tourney last year, beat Ohio State, beat UCON, beat Stanford, and current w/l is 20-5. Draw you own conclusions

Need to replace Syracuse with Uconn. They are something like 22-7 against P5 teamsover last 6 years.
ta111

Postby ohiohsbball » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:40 am

DudeAnon wrote:Best thing Dayton that ever happened to Dayton was Xavier leaving the conference. I don't know if its some weird psychological thing, but it seems too coincidental that they finally get good after Xavier leaves the A-10.

Not sure I agree with that. It does seem coincidental, but I think it has more to do with Dayton finally has a coach that will keep them as a top 40-50 program consistently, maybe better. That A-10 is down to last year but is still a half way decent league and Archie Miller has made them win 20 games with only 6 scholarship players and likely headed toward another NCAA tournament. I remember watching some UD games with Brian Gregory calling X and Os in late game situation and he was clueless. Ask Georgia Tech how that move is working out for them.

I see your point, but I just think coaching has more to do with that than anything...
ohiohsbball

Postby gavitspeaks » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:47 am

Not sure I agree with that. It does seem coincidental, but I think it has more to do with Dayton finally has a coach that will keep them as a top 40-50 program consistently, maybe better. That A-10 is down to last year but is still a half way decent league and Archie Miller has made them win 20 games with only 6 scholarship players and likely headed toward another NCAA tournament. I remember watching some UD games with Brian Gregory calling X and Os in late game situation and he was clueless. Ask Georgia Tech how that move is working out for them.

not sure why we continue to discuss Dayton or any other team not in the BE but to Dayton's credit they have a legit coach. Purnell did well there too. Even Gregory recruited some athletes, but Archie Miller is the real deal. Many BE programs wish he was coaching for them. Truth be told, Xavier probably wishes he was coaching there. Hope UD has a plan for succession.
gavitspeaks

Postby murphy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 am

hoyahooligan wrote:
murphy wrote:
BEX wrote:Temple joined the A-10 in '82, Xavier '95. One wonders where Dayton would finish with Temple, Butler and Xavier still in the conference and with their recent add of G Mason, etc..

Not totally sure where they would end up in the A10 standings with Temple and XU back in the A10, but we can look at their run against the power conference elite in the tourney last year, beat Ohio State, beat UCON, beat Stanford, and current w/l is 20-5. Draw you own conclusions

1) I guess I missed the part where Dayton beat the National Champion UConn in the NCAA tournament last year.

2) Dayton is 2-2 vs the top 50 of the RPI this year. Those wins Texas AM who has 0 top 50 wins, and Ole miss. SO you beat two paper tiger SEC teams that stink but happen to have top 50 RPIs. Only good team they've played is Arkansas and they lost by 14.

oops, my bad they took out Syracuse on their march to the final 8 .... - do you think any BE team would have the courage to play UD home and home for a couple years... Would never happen
murphy

Postby murphy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:57 am

ohiohsbball wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Best thing Dayton that ever happened to Dayton was Xavier leaving the conference. I don't know if its some weird psychological thing, but it seems too coincidental that they finally get good after Xavier leaves the A-10.

I see your point, but I just think coaching has more to do with that than anything...

I would somewhat agree with giving Miller some credit. What I never understand is that the fans rush to give all the credit to the coach, not so much to the individual effort of the 6-7 scholarship players that UD puts on the floor this year. Miller gets a very nice salary, do he really need a pat on the back? The players just get a scholarship, and they are the ones that must perform and win.
murphy

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board