Wed Feb 18th - 2G - XU-Cinc, PC-DePaul...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Wed Feb 18th - 2G - XU-Cinc, PC-DePaul...

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:39 pm

marquette wrote:How is it that when the 10 team Big East gets 4 teams into the NCAA, in stever's world, the sky is falling. Meanwhile the very real possibility that the 11 team AAC winds up with three or (in a worst case scenario) 2 in somehow makes them a powerhouse?

Part of the answer for the AAC is the fact that 2 of the 3 top dogs- Memphis and UConn are MIA this year. I'm not saying they're a powerhouse- but rather the fact that if in a worst case scenario(which this year is for them just about), they should get 3 in fairly easily- is not that bad. Especially if the 3 they get in all avoid the PIG like what Lunardi had today. And if a UConn can win the AAC tourney they would get 4 in, very similar to us last year in the Big East. I just have a major problem calling what the AAC is this year as a collapse. Is it a off year? Yeah. But their conference RPI rank is EXACTLY what it was last year, even with no Louisville in the conference- and UConn and Memphis not good.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:45 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
stever20 wrote:SMU is an absolute lock right now. No sub 50 RPI losses right now.

I just do not think the AAC is anywhere near as bad as folks on here want to make them out to be. AAC could easily get 4 teams in the tourney this year- with no Memphis or UConn. Think about that. Probably what was thought to be 2 of their 3 best programs. Will almost certainly get 3 in what is a down year for them. That's a pretty telling stat to me. It's far from a collapse that folks on here are making it out to be. It's just amazing how much folks on here absolutely hate the AAC's guts.

1. You don't think the AAC is as bad as folks here make them out to be? How bad are they then?

2. The AAC could "easily" get 4 teams in the tourney with no Memphis or UConn? No they can't. Not without a miracle. Or a surprise in their conference tournament. They're a 3 bid league this year - SMU, Temple, and Cincinnati - and Cincy's been looking a little shaky lately. I can just as easily see them as a 2 bid league as you can see themas as a 4 bid league. But if we stop imagining the full range of possibilities, they're a 3 bid league based on the way they've played so far.

3. How is this a "down year" for the AAC? That's a really wild statement to make for a league that's only 2 years old. Down year? What's a normal year for them? Half the league is hopelessly inept. SMU, which is considered the premier team in the league right now hasn't even been to the tournament in over 20 years. This year is the exception for them. Not the norm. Cincy and Temple have missed the tournament more often than they've been there in the past decade or so. UConn and Memohis have been the only reliable tournament teams in this league. What can be considered normal for them is UConn, Memphis, and either Ckncy or Temple. That's a 3 bid league, my friend.

As for hating the AAC's guts, they would hardly get a mention here if you didn't repeatedly posy about them.

I'm sorry but you look at anyone's bracketology and Tulsa is a whole hell of a lot closer than anyone on here wants to believe. They are a lot closer to 4 than they are 2.

Temple- made the tourney 6 out of the last 10 years- and 6 of 7 years.
Cincy- made the tourney 5 of the last 10 years- and 4 years in a row.
So those 2 are normal tourney teams right now. UConn and Memphis are what you said. Tulsa now a chance for a 2nd year in a row. So the AAC will be a normal 3-4 bid conference pretty easily. The big question is what teams like Tulane, ECU, UCF, and Houston do with all the extra exposure. If they are smart, the conference will improve a lot.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:47 pm

stever20 wrote:
marquette wrote:How is it that when the 10 team Big East gets 4 teams into the NCAA, in stever's world, the sky is falling. Meanwhile the very real possibility that the 11 team AAC winds up with three or (in a worst case scenario) 2 in somehow makes them a powerhouse?

Part of the answer for the AAC is the fact that 2 of the 3 top dogs- Memphis and UConn are MIA this year. I'm not saying they're a powerhouse- but rather the fact that if in a worst case scenario(which this year is for them just about), they should get 3 in fairly easily- is not that bad. Especially if the 3 they get in all avoid the PIG like what Lunardi had today. And if a UConn can win the AAC tourney they would get 4 in, very similar to us last year in the Big East. I just have a major problem calling what the AAC is this year as a collapse. Is it a off year? Yeah. But their conference RPI rank is EXACTLY what it was last year, even with no Louisville in the conference- and UConn and Memphis not good.

How is this year "a worst case scenario" for the AAC? SMU has come from nowhere over the past 2 years to finally come up with a tournament team for the first time since 1993. I think that balances off the down year for UConn. Temple bounces back from a bad season last year. They only make the tournament half the time in the recent past, so that's about right. Cincinnati is on a 3 game losing streak, dropping games they were supposed to win. A little premature to be counting them in the tournament. But even if they make it, getting both them & Temple in during the same season is a surprise, so that makes up for a Memphis down year.
Bill Marsh

Postby hoops22 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:00 pm

stever20 wrote:

Stever what you're ignoring is that if UCONN and Memphis were good this year, then chances are they'd be picking up wins verses Cinci and Tulsa, which would likely knock those teams out. I don't care about the AAC one way or another, but for you of all people to be defending the league as good, is simply absurd. Outside of Temple beating Kansas, what is the leagues best OOC win? Meanwhile, look at all the truly ugly OOC losses nearly all of them have. If the BE were having this kind of year, you would be the loudest voice demanding the total dismantling of the league. You do know college basketball, I realize that, but the way you're always doom and gloom with the BE, but so defensive when it comes to the AAC, is insulting to everyones intelligence around here.
hoops22

Postby marquette » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:14 pm

stever20 wrote:

Georgetown last year=UConn this year. Marquette this year and last year=Memphis this year. Historically 2 of the three top dogs in this conference. One bounced back from a down year, the other is doing a good job recruiting under a new coach and will likely be back in the NCAAs in the next couple years. Is there any guarantee? No. Is there any guarantee that Memphis is back next year? That UConn ever reaches their prior greatness? That SMU maintains this level after Larry Brown, an incorrigible job-jumper? That Temple and UC ever become more than every-other-year teams?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:17 pm

hoops22 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Stever what you're ignoring is that if UCONN and Memphis were good this year, then chances are they'd be picking up wins verses Cinci and Tulsa, which would likely knock those teams out. I don't care about the AAC one way or another, but for you of all people to be defending the league as good, is simply absurd. Outside of Temple beating Kansas, what is the leagues best OOC win? Meanwhile, look at all the truly ugly OOC losses nearly all of them have. If the BE were having this kind of year, you would be the loudest voice demanding the total dismantling of the league. You do know college basketball, I realize that, but the way you're always doom and gloom with the BE, but so defensive when it comes to the AAC, is insulting to everyones intelligence around here.

Memphis 15-10 right now.
Lost in conference to Tulane and ECU. They already beat Cincy 1st time they played and lost to Tulsa. If Memphis had beaten both Tulane and ECU- along with Tulsa- they're 18-7 and in decent shape right now.
UConn is 14-10 right now.
lost in conference to Houston. They split with Cincy and Tulsa. If UConn had beaten Houston, and swept Cincy and Tulsa, they're 17-7 and in great shape right now- just win a few more games and they'd be a lock.
So I think if Memphis and UConn had been good, they would be in a lot better shape compared to Tulsa and Cincy as you see..

I'm not saying the AAC is having a good year, I'm just saying it's not a collapse like folks on here want it out to be. A Collapse is what's happened to the MWC since they were the #1 RPI conference. Right now, the MWC is #12, just below the MAC and MVC, and just ahead of the Big West. That's a collapse.

I think like Marquette said- Georgetown last year=UConn this year(though I think Georgetown was a bit better honestly- we'll see how UConn finishes things out). And Something about Memphis just doesn't seem right at the moment. Like I think we're going to see a major change there. It'll be interesting to see what they get to replace Pastner there. As I mentioned on the DePaul thread- not a lot of major jobs open this year from the looks of things. So could be a real good year to be looking with only 3-4 major jobs open.

No doubt we've had a great year. But to me, the reason why we've had a great year isn't that we will get 5 and maybe 6 teams in the tourney. It's more up top. Folks(including myself btw) focus way too much on the bubble. The Big East is having a great year because there is no doubt we're getting 4 teams and 4 higher seeded teams. The fact we have 4 top 22 teams in the RPI now means light years more than us getting 6 teams in. Even if somehow Xavier and or St John's don't make it- the fact that we have 4 much better seeded teams means this year is 10000% better than last year was.
stever20

Postby muskienick » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:49 pm

And if the queen had testes, she'd be the King!
muskienick

Postby gavitspeaks » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:13 pm

Stever what you're ignoring is that if UCONN and Memphis were good this year, then chances are they'd be picking up wins verses Cinci and Tulsa, which would likely knock those teams out. I don't care about the AAC one way or another, but for you of all people to be defending the league as good, is simply absurd. Outside of Temple beating Kansas, what is the leagues best OOC win? Meanwhile, look at all the truly ugly OOC losses nearly all of them have. If the BE were having this kind of year, you would be the loudest voice demanding the total dismantling of the league. You do know college basketball, I realize that, but the way you're always doom and gloom with the BE, but so defensive when it comes to the AAC, is insulting to everyones intelligence around here.[/quote]
Memphis 15-10 right now.
Lost in conference to Tulane and ECU. They already beat Cincy 1st time they played and lost to Tulsa. If Memphis had beaten both Tulane and ECU- along with Tulsa- they're 18-7 and in decent shape right now.
UConn is 14-10 right now.
lost in conference to Houston. They split with Cincy and Tulsa. If UConn had beaten Houston, and swept Cincy and Tulsa, they're 17-7 and in great shape right now- just win a few more games and they'd be a lock.

Many in inner circles have Mack leaving for Georgia Tech for $$$$$$$. If so, Kelsey to Xavier is what I'm hearing in that scenario.

So I think if Memphis and UConn had been good, they would be in a lot better shape compared to Tulsa and Cincy as you see..

I'm not saying the AAC is having a good year, I'm just saying it's not a collapse like folks on here want it out to be. A Collapse is what's happened to the MWC since they were the #1 RPI conference. Right now, the MWC is #12, just below the MAC and MVC, and just ahead of the Big West. That's a collapse.

I think like Marquette said- Georgetown last year=UConn this year(though I think Georgetown was a bit better honestly- we'll see how UConn finishes things out). And Something about Memphis just doesn't seem right at the moment. Like I think we're going to see a major change there. It'll be interesting to see what they get to replace Pastner there. As I mentioned on the DePaul thread- not a lot of major jobs open this year from the looks of things. So could be a real good year to be looking with only 3-4 major jobs open.

No doubt we've had a great year. But to me, the reason why we've had a great year isn't that we will get 5 and maybe 6 teams in the tourney. It's more up top. Folks(including myself btw) focus way too much on the bubble. The Big East is having a great year because there is no doubt we're getting 4 teams and 4 higher seeded teams. The fact we have 4 top 22 teams in the RPI now means light years more than us getting 6 teams in. Even if somehow Xavier and or St John's don't make it- the fact that we have 4 much better seeded teams means this year is 10000% better than last year was.[/quote]
gavitspeaks

Postby Steve Lavin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:41 am

To be fair, Stever you were right. I just typed an error…just dead wrong on that one. For some reason I didn't think SMU was ranked but they are.

With that being said, UConn is definitely in a period of downgrading without a real conference or Calhoun as coach. Leaving the Big East was the dumbest move they could have made. Or not trying to join back up I should say. 50 years from now assuming they never get that F5 invite will be looked back at like this: pre and post Big East/Calhoun era. When in the Big East with Calhoun coaching (or Ollie coaching his recruits leftover), they were a dominant powerhouse. Once they split ties with the Big East, focused on football, and Calhoun retired, they took a major step back. They will never be where they were in the Big East again in terms of prestige and big stage success (unless they get the F5 invite).

SMU is a simple one. Larry Brown. That's it. He's like 75 years old and is not getting any younger. When he's gone SMU resumes sucking. Simple.

Tulsa just had a random good year…I think they go back to mediocrity.They are by no means any kind of powerhouse.

Cincy post Kilpatrick era is decent but not damn good like they were in the old Big East.

Temple to their credit had a nice season coming back from an awful year last year.

As another poster said, if UConn, Cincy, and Memphis were their normal selves, teams like Tulsa, SMU, and Temple would be taking a lot more losses. I love seeing UConn crash and burn. They were warned about choosing football over their obvious flagship sport: basketball. They didn't listen, and now they are reaping what they sowed.
Steve Lavin

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:10 am

Straw Man argument, Stever. You're the only one who's used the word "collapse" in association with the AAC.

Regardless of how good the top of that league is in any given year, the bottom half is horrible. That's why it's a bad league. Who wants to watch games in a league when half the time, the opponent has no shot of winning?

The worst team in the Big East this year is Creighton with an RPI rank of 145. But that would put them middle of the pack at 7th if they were the 12th team in the American, God forbid. Here are the RPI ranks of the bottom 5 teams in the AAC:

160 - Tulane
218 - UCF
229 - East Carolina
238 - South Florida
266 - Houston

Those are the teams against whom the teams in top half of the league are building their records against, teams that are non-competitive, any one of whom would easily be the worst team in the Big East.

What has the league done to build itself up? Their league SOS out of conference is 12th. They simply have done nothing to compensate for their dead weight. Contrast that with the Big East. Out of conference SOS for the BE is #1.

That's the difference between the 2 leagues and that's why people get their backs up when you try to put then AAC on par with the Big East. It's not a league that was built for basketball. It just happens to have a few good basketball schools in the mix, but that was just dumb luck.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board