Wed Feb 18th - 2G - XU-Cinc, PC-DePaul...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Wed Feb 18th - 2G - XU-Cinc, PC-DePaul...

Postby Jet915 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:43 am

If I remember correctly, no team that has ever lost to a DII team in the regular season has made the NCAA tournament. Who knows, Tulsa might be a first but their resume stinks.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:47 am

Jet915 wrote:If I remember correctly, no team that has ever lost to a DII team in the regular season has made the NCAA tournament. Who knows, Tulsa might be a first but their resume stinks.

I know that's wrong because in 1982 Chaminade beat Virginia with Ralph Sampson :)
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:49 am

Jet915 wrote:If I remember correctly, no team that has ever lost to a DII team in the regular season has made the NCAA tournament. Who knows, Tulsa might be a first but their resume stinks.

And they bear the responsibility for putting it on the schedule in the first place.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby FormulaX » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
stever20 wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:Very nice win for Xavier! I knew the AAC would collapse once L'Ville left. UConn also predictably took a huge step back after distancing themselves from the Calhoun old Big East era. Cincy and Memphis aren't doing much either. SMU came back down to earth as well. And to think people were saying they were the better conference.

I'm assuming PC won. I knew DePaul was due to fall back to earth.

So lets see. SMU in(coming back down to earth? they are 20-5 with a 24 RPI). Temple back after a bad year last year. Cincy in NCAA tourney position. Tulsa square on the bubble but still doing pretty well. I mean if the AAC can get 4 teams in this year- without UConn or Memphis? That's far from a collapse.

So you're saying that the AAC is the better conference? :lol:

What is it with AAC/A10 stever? It's my fault for reading his stuff. I look up SMU the AAC Kingpin, cuz steves waving their flag on the BE board. I see SMU 0 top 25 wins and 2-5 against the top 50! Then he is typing about Memphis and Tulsa?
Dont worry, the committee is not over looking a home DivII loss....
FormulaX

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:26 pm

SMU is an absolute lock right now. No sub 50 RPI losses right now.

I just do not think the AAC is anywhere near as bad as folks on here want to make them out to be. AAC could easily get 4 teams in the tourney this year- with no Memphis or UConn. Think about that. Probably what was thought to be 2 of their 3 best programs. Will almost certainly get 3 in what is a down year for them. That's a pretty telling stat to me. It's far from a collapse that folks on here are making it out to be. It's just amazing how much folks on here absolutely hate the AAC's guts.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:32 pm

While Stever is tooting the AAC's horn for having SMU, the #24 RPI, HE's ignoring the fact that the Big East has 4 teams ranked higher than that in RPI. THAT's right, 4! :o
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:51 pm

I think 1 thing that was huge last night that we've not talked about was the Duke comeback on UNC. Kind of hurts Nova in their quest for a #1 seed.
stever20

Postby marquette » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:23 pm

How is it that when the 10 team Big East gets 4 teams into the NCAA, in stever's world, the sky is falling. Meanwhile the very real possibility that the 11 team AAC winds up with three or (in a worst case scenario) 2 in somehow makes them a powerhouse?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:36 pm

stever20 wrote:SMU is an absolute lock right now. No sub 50 RPI losses right now.

I just do not think the AAC is anywhere near as bad as folks on here want to make them out to be. AAC could easily get 4 teams in the tourney this year- with no Memphis or UConn. Think about that. Probably what was thought to be 2 of their 3 best programs. Will almost certainly get 3 in what is a down year for them. That's a pretty telling stat to me. It's far from a collapse that folks on here are making it out to be. It's just amazing how much folks on here absolutely hate the AAC's guts.

1. You don't think the AAC is as bad as folks here make them out to be? How bad are they then?

2. The AAC could "easily" get 4 teams in the tourney with no Memphis or UConn? No they can't. Not without a miracle. Or a surprise in their conference tournament. They're a 3 bid league this year - SMU, Temple, and Cincinnati - and Cincy's been looking a little shaky lately. I can just as easily see them as a 2 bid league as you can see themas as a 4 bid league. But if we stop imagining the full range of possibilities, they're a 3 bid league based on the way they've played so far.

3. How is this a "down year" for the AAC? That's a really wild statement to make for a league that's only 2 years old. Down year? What's a normal year for them? Half the league is hopelessly inept. SMU, which is considered the premier team in the league right now hasn't even been to the tournament in over 20 years. This year is the exception for them. Not the norm. Cincy and Temple have missed the tournament more often than they've been there in the past decade or so. UConn and Memohis have been the only reliable tournament teams in this league. What can be considered normal for them is UConn, Memphis, and either Ckncy or Temple. That's a 3 bid league, my friend.

As for hating the AAC's guts, they would hardly get a mention here if you didn't repeatedly posy about them.
Bill Marsh

Postby R Jay » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:38 pm

Here's a big question for the AAC: When Larry Brown retires, what happens to SMU? Will they fall back to where they were before he arrived? Will they continue to be successful?
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board