Gibbs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Gibbs

Postby redmen9194 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:45 pm

I think two is a lot - one would have been fine. But it's not egregious. Time to move on.
redmen9194

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheBall » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:59 pm

This is not a kick off the team worthy event. One or two game suspension.
TheBall

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Good for Seton Hall. They absolutely had to do that... I think his past history came into play here quite frankly.
stever20

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:08 pm

"The other legend in Indiana (other than Bird) sure liked to fight too. So how about you get off your high horse and go run along."
"Oh stop with the "thuggery" bullsh--. If your midwestern sensibilities can't handle this then you must not have watched basketball before the year 2000."

No one allows that kind of stuff to go on anymore with out big fines and suspensions. It had its day, but now that we know what blows to the head can do it's no longer tolerated. Does this make Gibbs a bad person, no but it was wrong. He said it was wrong and embarrassing. It is no longer part of the game and his school did the right thing. But at least Gibbs looked him in the eye before the cheap shot, unlike your guy. How long did StJ suspend Obekpa for a blow that is illegal in MMA? That's right they took him out of the starting lineup for a few games. I would have been fine if Gibbs played the next game personally, but applaud his school for taking it seriously. (BTW I'm no farmer, but a retired US Marine so I know ruff and tough and farm boys and inner city kids that use to be bangers! Most of the latter admit they didn't know tough until they became Marines.) Just saying. :lol:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby MackNova » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Amase2 wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:
And by the way Amase, I never implied their generic logo was a reason you could argue the conference doesn't need them. It's the lack of tradition (logo is part of tradition) and total failure in tourney bids. People look at the G'Town logo and think "G'Town". People look at the Butler logo and think "Butler". People look at the PC logo and think "PC". People look at the Nova logo and think "Nova". People look at the SJ logo and think "St. John's". People look at the Seton Hall Pirate silhouette and could easily confuse it with a high school or another college with a similar pirate logo. They should look to ECU as a perfect example of how you can customize a logo and tailor it to your school.

Dude we are the Red Storm. The red freaking storm. I love St. John's but come on man, it doesn't get much worse than that.

Don't wear white past labor day, don't have sex in church, and don't ever, for any reason, start a debate on logo's if you are a fan of St. John's.

Red Storm is pretty bad, but my team is the Wildcats - literally the most generic team name out there.
MackNova

Postby Irishdawg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:48 pm

We have two teams in this conference that have Bulldogs for mascots if you're looking for generic. Granted, both live mascots are awesome, but still generic nonetheless.
Irishdawg

Postby jfan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Irishdawg wrote:We have two teams in this conference that have Bulldogs for mascots if you're looking for generic. Granted, both live mascots are awesome, but still generic nonetheless.

The one I saw last night on the court at Creighton looked like he had a bit of a drooling problem, but still an awesome mascot! Not much you can do with a live Bluejay unless you can get him to poop on the head of the opposing coach.
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby Steve Lavin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:14 pm

Amase2 wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:
And by the way Amase, I never implied their generic logo was a reason you could argue the conference doesn't need them. It's the lack of tradition (logo is part of tradition) and total failure in tourney bids. People look at the G'Town logo and think "G'Town". People look at the Butler logo and think "Butler". People look at the PC logo and think "PC". People look at the Nova logo and think "Nova". People look at the SJ logo and think "St. John's". People look at the Seton Hall Pirate silhouette and could easily confuse it with a high school or another college with a similar pirate logo. They should look to ECU as a perfect example of how you can customize a logo and tailor it to your school.

Dude we are the Red Storm. The red freaking storm. I love St. John's but come on man, it doesn't get much worse than that.

Don't wear white past labor day, don't have sex in church, and don't ever, for any reason, start a debate on logo's if you are a fan of St. John's.

That's only because part of our heritage was stolen from us by PC police who think Indian mascots are ok for certain teams (Cleveland Indians, FSU, Chiefs, virtually every little league team, etc.) but not ok for SJU. SHU chose the Pirates from what I understand. They were not forced into it. You are proving my point in a way, because Pirates are still the most generic team name and the Red Storm (though not as cool as Redmen) is still very unique. And our logo is clearly unique.

By the way, you don't have to be religious to attend SJU. Maybe in the 70's and earlier it was very religious. I graduated grad school in May 2014 and after 3 years at SJU I can tell you I didn't even notice any more religiosity than any other school.

As for the Gibbs suspension, I can understand the 2 games. It was his second time doing that type of thing (and no punishment the first time) and SHU knew that the entire sports media was waiting to see what they did about it. If he wasn't suspended it would be big news with people being shocked and outraged. It was probably the most blatant and dangerous elbow I've seen in a college hoops game (maybe it's because I'm young at 25 or maybe it really was that bad).
Steve Lavin

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:19 pm

kmacker69 wrote:"The other legend in Indiana (other than Bird) sure liked to fight too. So how about you get off your high horse and go run along."
"Oh stop with the "thuggery" bullsh--. If your midwestern sensibilities can't handle this then you must not have watched basketball before the year 2000."

No one allows that kind of stuff to go on anymore with out big fines and suspensions. It had its day, but now that we know what blows to the head can do it's no longer tolerated. Does this make Gibbs a bad person, no but it was wrong. He said it was wrong and embarrassing. It is no longer part of the game and his school did the right thing. But at least Gibbs looked him in the eye before the cheap shot, unlike your guy. How long did StJ suspend Obekpa for a blow that is illegal in MMA? That's right they took him out of the starting lineup for a few games. I would have been fine if Gibbs played the next game personally, but applaud his school for taking it seriously. (BTW I'm no farmer, but a retired US Marine so I know ruff and tough and farm boys and inner city kids that use to be bangers! Most of the latter admit they didn't know tough until they became Marines.) Just saying. :lol:

I like how you took two of the sentences I wrote but not the one where I said he should have been punished. No one is saying it should be allowed but the idea that these people are "thugs" and not good people and the school,should be embarrassed and kicked out of the conference is ridiculous. Thats what I was responding to. No one ever called Bird or Jordan "thugs" why call this kid one? Emotions run high and sometimes chit happens. Your Butler kid was lucky he wasn't looking Obekpa in the eye or he would have a broken nose.
NJRedman

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:17 pm

The only reaction I heard was Jay Mohr saying "C'mon Big East" after hearing about the 2-game suspension. He was upset it wasn't for the whole season. He's not big time, so it doesn't matter much.
Gopher+RamFan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board