Gibbs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Gibbs

Postby HoosierPal » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:23 am

NJRedman wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:This is embarrassing, just as embarrassing at Obekpa's malicious elbow to Wideman's head. This is NOT the reputation we want in the Big East. Commish needs to step in and get this nipped at the bud. This is becoming the Cheap Shot league.

This ain't the Horizon league and we've had worse so just calm down. This has always been a rough and tumble conference.

Figured you would have this response NJR. Thuggery isn't baskektball. Taking a hard charge, challenging a shot at the rim, taking a hard foul...that is tough basketball. Punching a guy on the floor in the face, elbowing a player in the neck at half court isn't basketball. If you haven't noticed, all leagues are "tough". Have you watched the Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, Pac 12 or SEC. There are hard fouls in every game. There are "rough and tumble' games in every league. To chuckle at these latest two transgressions and pass them off as normal for the Big East is immature.

Gibbs, Seton Hall, and the Big East are getting roasted today on national media. But I guess that's okay to you because the Big East is a rough and tumble conference. To most of us it is an embarrassment. I'm sure the President of Seton Hall is giving his AD 'High Fives' because of all the extra publicity.
HoosierPal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:29 am

Everyone using the word "thug", just stop, you know what it means. Just say "dirty".

BTW, it is the 1st story on Yahoo.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 56102.html

If anyone was worried that racism was gone, check out the comment section.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:59 am

DudeAnon wrote:Everyone using the word "thug", just stop, you know what it means. Just say "dirty".

BTW, it is the 1st story on Yahoo.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 56102.html

If anyone was worried that racism was gone, check out the comment section.

Yeah, the comment section for that article is depressing.

Fortunately, the comments on our 10 schools' Big East message boards from what I've seen (and here at the HLoH) have been sensible. Pretty much consider that Gibbs acted out of character, are impressed by Arcidiacono's reaction, and appreciate Gibbs' and Arch's twitter comments. I don't remember race being mentioned at all.
Providence
billyjack

Postby redmen9194 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:20 am

Wow. You guys would really have hated the 80's and 90's in this league. I think people are really getting over the top here.
redmen9194

Postby Steve Lavin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:02 am

Disagree with the Butler fan saying that all leagues are tough. I went to a mid major conference school for undergrad and SJU for grad school. I saw a clear difference. The Big East was a well-known physical conference long before Butler came here. I think most analysts and experts would agree. You just don't see the same physicality in most other leagues so consistently. There are more finesse teams who pass the ball around nicely and take nice clean shots, then there are the more brute teams who will dunk it in your face or take it to the rack and won't hesitate to invite heavy contact. The Big East is known for the latter. The ACC/B1G more the former.

But back to SHU, it would be smart to ban Gibbs for a game or two (indirectly surrendering the season) and start looking for a new coach. They need this drama to end already and turn it into hope for the future. Turn the page. And by the way Amase, I never implied their generic logo was a reason you could argue the conference doesn't need them. It's the lack of tradition (logo is part of tradition) and total failure in tourney bids. People look at the G'Town logo and think "G'Town". People look at the Butler logo and think "Butler". People look at the PC logo and think "PC". People look at the Nova logo and think "Nova". People look at the SJ logo and think "St. John's". People look at the Seton Hall Pirate silhouette and could easily confuse it with a high school or another college with a similar pirate logo. They should look to ECU as a perfect example of how you can customize a logo and tailor it to your school.
Steve Lavin

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:14 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
Gibbs, Seton Hall, and the Big East are getting roasted today on national media. But I guess that's okay to you because the Big East is a rough and tumble conference. To most of us it is an embarrassment. I'm sure the President of Seton Hall is giving his AD 'High Fives' because of all the extra publicity.

What are you talking about...?

Is this true...? Where have you seen the conference getting roasted...? Why...?

And Seton Hall is celebrating this...? Seems the exact opposite. Miami (Fla) or FSU would embrace this. Seton Hall seems embarrassed by all of this.
Providence
billyjack

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:29 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:This is embarrassing, just as embarrassing at Obekpa's malicious elbow to Wideman's head. This is NOT the reputation we want in the Big East. Commish needs to step in and get this nipped at the bud. This is becoming the Cheap Shot league.

This ain't the Horizon league and we've had worse so just calm down. This has always been a rough and tumble conference.

Figured you would have this response NJR. Thuggery isn't baskektball. Taking a hard charge, challenging a shot at the rim, taking a hard foul...that is tough basketball. Punching a guy on the floor in the face, elbowing a player in the neck at half court isn't basketball. If you haven't noticed, all leagues are "tough". Have you watched the Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, Pac 12 or SEC. There are hard fouls in every game. There are "rough and tumble' games in every league. To chuckle at these latest two transgressions and pass them off as normal for the Big East is immature.

Oh stop with the "thuggery" bullsh--. If your midwestern sensibilities can't handle this then you must not have watched basketball before the year 2000.

Oh and here is the ACC for you. I'm sure you called those Duke players "thugs" as well. Thats a Coach K kid right there for you.

Look at that thuggery by the Hick from St. Lick!!!! Bird is a Hoosier too right? I doubt you ever called him a thug. He made this top ten list TWICE!

You calling kids who let emotions get the better of them thugs is what is immature here. Arci at least wasn't bloodied from this experience unlike Mr. Hansborough who has also been known to throw down in the NBA.

Now lets take a look at some other Big East members who have had similar or worse situations. Luckily none of them were kicked out.

Grow up and quit clutching your pearls. This is the Big East, if you can't handle the heat don't come into the kitchen. This kid was punished like he should be and we all move on. Even the greats of this game have thrown a punch before.

(Certainly wasn't the last brawl from that Indiana team)

The other legend in Indiana (other than Bird) sure liked to fight too. So how about you get off your high horse and go run along.
NJRedman

Postby Amase2 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:
And by the way Amase, I never implied their generic logo was a reason you could argue the conference doesn't need them. It's the lack of tradition (logo is part of tradition) and total failure in tourney bids. People look at the G'Town logo and think "G'Town". People look at the Butler logo and think "Butler". People look at the PC logo and think "PC". People look at the Nova logo and think "Nova". People look at the SJ logo and think "St. John's". People look at the Seton Hall Pirate silhouette and could easily confuse it with a high school or another college with a similar pirate logo. They should look to ECU as a perfect example of how you can customize a logo and tailor it to your school.

Dude we are the Red Storm. The red freaking storm. I love St. John's but come on man, it doesn't get much worse than that.

Don't wear white past labor day, don't have sex in church, and don't ever, for any reason, start a debate on logo's if you are a fan of St. John's.
Amase2

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:09 pm

Amase2 wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:
And by the way Amase, I never implied their generic logo was a reason you could argue the conference doesn't need them. It's the lack of tradition (logo is part of tradition) and total failure in tourney bids. People look at the G'Town logo and think "G'Town". People look at the Butler logo and think "Butler". People look at the PC logo and think "PC". People look at the Nova logo and think "Nova". People look at the SJ logo and think "St. John's". People look at the Seton Hall Pirate silhouette and could easily confuse it with a high school or another college with a similar pirate logo. They should look to ECU as a perfect example of how you can customize a logo and tailor it to your school.

Dude we are the Red Storm. The red freaking storm. I love St. John's but come on man, it doesn't get much worse than that.

Don't wear white past labor day, don't have sex in church, and don't ever, for any reason, start a debate on logo's if you are a fan of St. John's.

Hahahahahahahahaha

NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Gibbs suspended 2 games.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-colleg ... acono-face

Seton Hall suspended junior guard Sterling Gibbs for two games on Tuesday, after he was ejected Monday night in the Pirates' 80-54 loss to Villanova in Philadelphia.

Gibbs was assessed a flagrant foul 2 and ejected for hitting Ryan Arcidiacono in the face during a scramble for a loose ball.

"Sterling demonstrated poor sportsmanship last night, and he recognizes that what he did was wrong and that he must be held accountable for his actions," Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard said Tuesday in a team release. "This was out of Sterling's character, and I believe this incident does not define the type of person he is or will become. Sterling will learn and grow from this unfortunate event."

"We support Seton Hall's decision to suspend Sterling Gibbs for his actions in the Villanova game," Big East commissioner Val Ackerman said Tuesday in a statement. "Unsportsmanlike acts like the one that occurred last night have no place in the BIG EAST or college sports."
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board