Gibbs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Gibbs

Postby milksteak » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:54 pm

He's had two eject-worthy plays in the span of like a month, he nearly got in a fight with his own teammate (Whitehead), he was suspended last year, etc.

Hardly sounds like the choir boy you guys make him out to be.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Steve Lavin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 pm

In all honesty I don't even know how SHU was even in the Big East. Rutgers was the only worse program and not by that much. SJU is actually IN NYC and is the clear well-known college hoops franchise (unless people are front runners and just root for Duke). SHU is close to NYC but it's not even in the same state. New Jersey is not New York. They also only have 9…yes NINE tourney appearances…ever. Some mid majors can laugh at that number. By comparison, teams that were lower tier old Big East i.e. SJU and DePaul have 28 and 22 (I believe) respectively. That was the lower tier. And still had 3x the amount of berths. Not to mention, they have no identity. Their logo is as generic as a high school team's. They don't really have those big name hoops stars you associate with other programs i.e. Mullin, Jackson, Artest (SJU), Ewing, AI, Hibbert (G'Town), etc.

I can't see any reason we would need SHU here. They play second fiddle in their own state, second fiddle in the NYC area, and have a mid major track record in terms of making tourneys. Now I'm not saying because of this incident tonight SHU should leave. I'm saying it because they are awful and have nothing to offer. I apologize if I'm making this go off topic. Just expanding on what another poster said.

Gibbs should not be suspended for the rest of the season, but definitely at bare minimum 1 or 2 games.
Steve Lavin

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:52 am

Steve Lavin wrote:In all honesty I don't even know how SHU was even in the Big East. Rutgers was the only worse program and not by that much. SJU is actually IN NYC and is the clear well-known college hoops franchise (unless people are front runners and just root for Duke). SHU is close to NYC but it's not even in the same state. New Jersey is not New York. They also only have 9…yes NINE tourney appearances…ever. Some mid majors can laugh at that number. By comparison, teams that were lower tier old Big East i.e. SJU and DePaul have 28 and 22 (I believe) respectively. That was the lower tier. And still had 3x the amount of berths. Not to mention, they have no identity. Their logo is as generic as a high school team's. They don't really have those big name hoops stars you associate with other programs i.e. Mullin, Jackson, Artest (SJU), Ewing, AI, Hibbert (G'Town), etc.

I can't see any reason we would need SHU here. They play second fiddle in their own state, second fiddle in the NYC area, and have a mid major track record in terms of making tourneys. Now I'm not saying because of this incident tonight SHU should leave. I'm saying it because they are awful and have nothing to offer. I apologize if I'm making this go off topic. Just expanding on what another poster said.

Gibbs should not be suspended for the rest of the season, but definitely at bare minimum 1 or 2 games.

Admin...I would like to point out a poster who is making no attempt to contribute to this board in any way. His sole purpose is to annoy people and start fights by taking pot shots at other poster's schools. Can we do something about this? Thanks.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:09 am

Everyone relax. Classless move by Gibbs but the result of a tough week internally at SHU, a game in which they were being smoked and vs a guy (Arch) who I'm sure can be frustrating. Does that justify the punch? No. But let's remember this is just a kid. I appreciate his apology and kudos to Arch for accepting it so graciously.

He should take a game off IMO. But the talk about dropping SHU is stupid. We need SHU to get their sh!t together clearly. I just don't think Williard is the guy to do it.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:38 am

something tells me he's going to get 2 games for this- more than a normal 1 gamer just for all the prior history with him. and it would not floor me to see him suspended the rest of the season given his past history and with how egregious the punch was.

But redman9194 is right- this kind of stuff used to happen 25 years ago all the time. I think the NCAA's fighting rules almost totally came out of Big East games from the 80's just about.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:25 am

HoosierPal wrote:This is embarrassing, just as embarrassing at Obekpa's malicious elbow to Wideman's head. This is NOT the reputation we want in the Big East. Commish needs to step in and get this nipped at the bud. This is becoming the Cheap Shot league.

This ain't the Horizon league and we've had worse so just calm down. This has always been a rough and tumble conference.
NJRedman

Postby Amase2 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 am

Steve Lavin wrote:In all honesty I don't even know how SHU was even in the Big East. Rutgers was the only worse program and not by that much. SJU is actually IN NYC and is the clear well-known college hoops franchise (unless people are front runners and just root for Duke). SHU is close to NYC but it's not even in the same state. New Jersey is not New York. They also only have 9…yes NINE tourney appearances…ever. Some mid majors can laugh at that number. By comparison, teams that were lower tier old Big East i.e. SJU and DePaul have 28 and 22 (I believe) respectively. That was the lower tier. And still had 3x the amount of berths. Not to mention, they have no identity. Their logo is as generic as a high school team's. They don't really have those big name hoops stars you associate with other programs i.e. Mullin, Jackson, Artest (SJU), Ewing, AI, Hibbert (G'Town), etc.

Wait, the halls logo is as generic as a high school teams? Damn, we need to get them out of the league!!
Amase2

Postby MackNova » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:56 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Everyone relax. Classless move by Gibbs but the result of a tough week internally at SHU, a game in which they were being smoked and vs a guy (Arch) who I'm sure can be frustrating. Does that justify the punch? No. But let's remember this is just a kid. I appreciate his apology and kudos to Arch for accepting it so graciously.

He should take a game off IMO. But the talk about dropping SHU is stupid. We need SHU to get their sh!t together clearly. I just don't think Williard is the guy to do it.

Agreed. Ban Gibbs for a game or 2 and call it a day
MackNova

Postby Noonzy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:21 am

It's a bad situation, but the Big East has always been a tough league. As Jamie Dixon said, "In the ACC you can drive the lane and draw a foul, in the Big East you can drive the lane and draw blood".
Last edited by Noonzy on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 am

Was a bit of a cheap shot and he got what he deserved, thrown out of the game. It's a tough league and can understand being frustrated and punching a guy in the face. At least he didn't elbow a guy in the back of the head and say well he hit me three times. He apologize sincerely and right away like a man. (Yeah that's a shot at Obekpa. :P )
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board