Gibbs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Gibbs

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:25 pm

If you can't make your point in a few concise sentences, then it usually isn't worth making on a message board. I just picked the ones with the worst tone to respond to since I'm much less sensitive to punching a dude in the face than some fans and schools. Might be that I've precipitated in said activity a few times in the past and understand the mentality ;) . (But it doesn't belong in the game today with all that we know about head injures.)
:lol: Wideman is the last one on our team you'd want to try that on from the front, might be why he choose the way he did. Best that he punked out or both would have been suspended for fighting is my guess.
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Steve Lavin wrote:
Amase2 wrote:
Steve Lavin wrote:
And by the way Amase, I never implied their generic logo was a reason you could argue the conference doesn't need them. It's the lack of tradition (logo is part of tradition) and total failure in tourney bids. People look at the G'Town logo and think "G'Town". People look at the Butler logo and think "Butler". People look at the PC logo and think "PC". People look at the Nova logo and think "Nova". People look at the SJ logo and think "St. John's". People look at the Seton Hall Pirate silhouette and could easily confuse it with a high school or another college with a similar pirate logo. They should look to ECU as a perfect example of how you can customize a logo and tailor it to your school.

Dude we are the Red Storm. The red freaking storm. I love St. John's but come on man, it doesn't get much worse than that.

Don't wear white past labor day, don't have sex in church, and don't ever, for any reason, start a debate on logo's if you are a fan of St. John's.

That's only because part of our heritage was stolen from us by PC police who think Indian mascots are ok for certain teams (Cleveland Indians, FSU, Chiefs, virtually every little league team, etc.) but not ok for SJU. SHU chose the Pirates from what I understand. They were not forced into it. You are proving my point in a way, because Pirates are still the most generic team name and the Red Storm (though not as cool as Redmen) is still very unique. And our logo is clearly unique.

By the way, you don't have to be religious to attend SJU. Maybe in the 70's and earlier it was very religious. I graduated grad school in May 2014 and after 3 years at SJU I can tell you I didn't even notice any more religiosity than any other school.

As for the Gibbs suspension, I can understand the 2 games. It was his second time doing that type of thing (and no punishment the first time) and SHU knew that the entire sports media was waiting to see what they did about it. If he wasn't suspended it would be big news with people being shocked and outraged. It was probably the most blatant and dangerous elbow I've seen in a college hoops game (maybe it's because I'm young at 25 or maybe it really was that bad).

Most blatant and dangerous since Obekpa I guess...

As for the logo thing- Seton Hall is one of 2 D1 schools named the Pirates, along with ECU. I'd hardly call that generic, but I guess St. John's is 1 of 1 team called the Red Storm...probably anywhere. And the logo itself- white simple- certainly isn't generic. Most pirate logos tend to go the route of the skull and crossbones or something more similar the ECU logo. If any high school is using SHU's logo, it's because they ripped it off of SHU. Personally, I'm a fan of simple logos, I think they look a lot better than really busy ones.

And one the main point of this thread, I agree with the 2 game suspension for Gibbs. 1 game may have been sufficient, but with everything else going on they needed to send a message that this crap won't be tolerated.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:41 pm

kmacker69 wrote:If you can't make your point in a few concise sentences, then it usually isn't worth making on a message board. I just picked the ones with the worst tone to respond to since I'm much less sensitive to punching a dude in the face than some fans and schools. Might be that I've precipitated in said activity a few times in the past and understand the mentality ;) . (But it doesn't belong in the game today with all that we know about head injures.)
:lol: Wideman is the last one on our team you'd want to try that on from the front, might be why he choose the way he did. Best that he punked out or both would have been suspended for fighting is my guess.

I did make my point in a few sentences, you just couldn't bother to read all five of the sentences I wrote. The guy who got punked out was the Butler kid who got T'd up then flinched when Pointer looked at him. haha

Oh and if that kid was so tough he would have gotten up and fought then and there. He didn't look so tough on the floor holding his head. haha
NJRedman

Postby kmacker69 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:47 am

NJRedman wrote:
kmacker69 wrote:If you can't make your point in a few concise sentences, then it usually isn't worth making on a message board. I just picked the ones with the worst tone to respond to since I'm much less sensitive to punching a dude in the face than some fans and schools. Might be that I've precipitated in said activity a few times in the past and understand the mentality ;) . (But it doesn't belong in the game today with all that we know about head injures.)

I did make my point in a few sentences, you just couldn't bother to read all five of the sentences I wrote. The guy who got punked out was the Butler kid who got T'd up then flinched when Pointer looked at him. haha

Oh and if that kid was so tough he would have gotten up and fought then and there. He didn't look so tough on the floor holding his head. haha

Really? You are really all class aren't you?!?! (That's because laughing at a 19 year out because he got hit in the back of the head with a blind elbow is classless.)
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby FDS » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:21 am

NJRedman wrote:

He was tough enough to keep playing... More than we can say about Obekpa who was looking for a way to get off the court to stop the embarrassment of gearing his ass whipped (or really any of the St. John's players this year, if those guys had an ounce of mental toughness to go with their talent, they would stop getting run out of the gym).
FDS

Postby RedStormHoops » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:30 am

FDS wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

He was tough enough to keep playing... More than we can say about Obekpa who was looking for a way to get off the court to stop the embarrassment of gearing his ass whipped (or really any of the St. John's players this year, if those guys had an ounce of mental toughness to go with their talent, they would stop getting run out of the gym).

NJRedmen is stupid for laughing at the butler player who obekpa gave a stupid cheap shot too. Everything about that game was terrible and St. John's didn't show any composure in that one. Any St. John's fan who brings up that game is an idiot, most have tried to wipe it from our memories.

But this comment you made is dumb too. St John's has faced more adversity than any other team in the big east with Rysheed's absence, a short roster, D'Angelos injury, Obekpas injury. and right now they are projected in the field. So I don't know how to put this, but, shut up.
RedStormHoops

Postby FDS » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:44 am

RedStormHoops wrote:NJRedmen is stupid for laughing at the butler player who obekpa gave a stupid cheap shot too. Everything about that game was terrible and St. John's didn't show any composure in that one. Any St. John's fan who brings up that game is an idiot, most have tried to wipe it from our memories.

But this comment you made is dumb too. St John's has faced more adversity than any other team in the big east with Rysheed's absence, a short roster, D'Angelos injury, Obekpas injury. and right now they are projected in the field. So I don't know how to put this, but, shut up.

That's an awful lot of excuses... (Not a trait exhibited by the tough). Also, didn't Rysheed leave the team on his own?! That isn't adversity, it is a lack of mental toughness. I would love for just one year St. John's to exceed expectations rather than fizzle out and make excuses as to why. Also, speaking of adversity, Butler lost our coach the day before the season started, so every team has something going on... Some tough teams push through it, other teams make excuses.
FDS

Postby RedStormHoops » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:52 am

FDS wrote:
RedStormHoops wrote:NJRedmen is stupid for laughing at the butler player who obekpa gave a stupid cheap shot too. Everything about that game was terrible and St. John's didn't show any composure in that one. Any St. John's fan who brings up that game is an idiot, most have tried to wipe it from our memories.

That's an awful lot of excuses... (Not a trait exhibited by the tough). Also, didn't Rysheed leave the team on his own?! That isn't adversity, it is a lack of mental toughness. I would love for just one year St. John's to exceed expectations rather than fizzle out and make excuses as to why. Also, speaking of adversity, Butler lost our coach the day before the season started, so every team has something going on... Some tough teams push through it, other teams make excuses.

That was the point of my post. We are pushing through it. You seem to think we suck this year or something. 6-7 in the big east and currently in the field isn't that bad in my opinion
RedStormHoops

Postby billyjack » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:58 am

In my opinion, the Big East reputation has never been about fighting and punches thrown. It's reputation is for hard nosed physical play, and tough defense. If a guy drove the lane and looked to dunk and showboat, then he'd expect to get some contact, unlike ACC dunkfests.

At the same time, the "fighting" and sucker punching has actually been pretty rare, and that's why we remember Michael Graham so easily. The cheapshots like the Gibbs punch or the Yancey Gates sucker punch were the exceptions.

Arcidiacono reacted the other night like true old skool tough Big East player. Guy took a terrible hit, but just got up and shrugged it off... didn't jaw or make a big deal about it... actually got back in the game minutes later. That reaction is what gives the BE its great tough reputation, not sucker punches or prancing around like an idiot.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:26 am

Really? People have to defend their logo now? There are probably 47 NCAA teams with a Wildcat as their mascot, would I like something more original? NO, I am happy being a Wildcat and knowing that one of the original "Four Horsemen" of Notre Dame gave Villanova that nickname in 1926 I appreciate it even more.

Hall2012, people are just nitpicking now. No reason to have to defend your mascot. Pirates are badass if you ask me.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board