Big East honorees projections

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East honorees projections

Postby mel ott » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:38 pm

friars321 wrote:I don't understand why so many say Hilliard for POY by default because he is the best player on the best team.
When I think player of the year I think the best player in the league. Last year NOVA was the best team but Doug was by far POY- not the best nova player.
If I had to pick 1 guy - I go with Dunn.
Dunn is top 5 NATIONALLY in steals and assists, and maybe the best rebounding pg in the country.
He is a better defender, rebounder, passer, etc (scoring edge may go to Hilliard although Dunn averages more ppg).
And if we want to make the MVP debate; NOVA is still a top 15 team without Hilliard. Without Dunn, Providence would fall off a cliff.
To be honest. I think Arch is more valuable to that team that Hilliard.
He has PC positioned to be the #2 team in the conference and is dominant across the board in every aspect of the game.
a

Agree- POY-Dunn
mel ott

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Amase2 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Hilliard and Pointer in battle for POY this Saturday?
Amase2

Postby redmen9194 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:15 am

I'm not sure if the player of he year should be Hilliard or Dunn although it probably should be Hilliard. But is there really any other choice for Coach of the Year than Holtmann? Butler was expected to be at the bottom of the year, they lose their coach and Holtmann takes over with an interim tag as no one knows if the head coach is coming back. He finally gets the job at the beginning of January and goes on to put Butler at the top half of the conference, and ranked most of the season. Jay Wright is an excellent coach, but he and Nova did exactly what everyone thought they would do. If Holtmann doesn't get the nod, it would be the biggest snub in a long while.
redmen9194

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:06 pm

I don't think 29-2 with a top 5 ranking is exactly what poeople projected nova at when they voted the wildcats around 15 in their preseason polls...

Holymann is a good choice as well as jay. Cooley too.
TheBall

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:38 pm

It's got to be Holtman.

What is funny is what's always the saying? It's always easier to be the coach that replaces the coach that replaces the legend. Sure looks like what happened at Butler...
stever20

Postby redmen9194 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Everyone knew Nova was going to be good. They were a Top Ten team all year. Holtmann did the unexpected. I don't think Cooley deserves it. Great coach, but they finished fourth and were picked to be right around there.
redmen9194

Postby TheBall » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:14 pm

redmen9194 wrote:Everyone knew Nova was going to be good. They were a Top Ten team all year. Holtmann did the unexpected. I don't think Cooley deserves it. Great coach, but they finished fourth and were picked to be right around there.

Nova was not in the top 10 pre-season, and nobody was pegging them for 29-2. Let's not re-write history here.

And I'm fine with Holtmann winning. I think he is one if the top national candidates. But jay did out perform expectations at nova.

And I never understand why coach of the year always has to go to a guy who outperforms expectations? Why penalize a guy for putting together a good team on paper in preseason projections and then getting it done?
TheBall

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:53 am

Wright is not being penalized - what was nova preseaon 14? Nova really did not exceed expectations. They were going to be one of the top teams in the country. Look at the adversity Holtmann dealt with at butler? Look where they were last year? Wrightvis a great coach, but Holtmann deserves the award.
redmen9194

Postby ChelseaFriar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:17 pm

redmen9194 wrote:Everyone knew Nova was going to be good. They were a Top Ten team all year. Holtmann did the unexpected. I don't think Cooley deserves it. Great coach, but they finished fourth and were picked to be right around there.

Agree, PC was picked 5th but finished 4th which isn't much difference. The margin between 2nd and 4th was the loss to Butler. Tight conference.

Last year I think what PC did was much more impressive with 6 players.
ChelseaFriar

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board