Who Replaces Willard?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Who Replaces Willard?

Postby shupat2008 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:50 am

You're right. My bad.

But yes, they are tight. And KW was here before Lyons.

So there are a couple questions:

1) Will Lyons have what it takes to call a spade a spade?
2) Will Lyons think that firing KW and hiring a new coach is financially possible? (Reported massive buyout this year as opposed to letting him go at the end of his contract next year)

It could be a very long off season for SHU fans.
shupat2008

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 am

shupat2008 wrote:You're right. My bad.

But yes, they are tight. And KW was here before Lyons.

So there are a couple questions:

1) Will Lyons have what it takes to call a spade a spade?
2) Will Lyons think that firing KW and hiring a new coach is financially possible? (Reported massive buyout this year as opposed to letting him go at the end of his contract next year)

It could be a very long off season for SHU fans.

Doesn't the contract have 5 more years to run after this year?
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby shupat2008 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:16 am

Apparently not. The "contract" only lasts 6 years. With "rollover" years after that. Apparently there is a massive drop off in the buyout once it gets past the initial contract and into the "rollover" period.
shupat2008

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:28 am

shupirate98 wrote:Based on the non-response from the university to this week's shameful events and based on the absurdly high buyout thanks to all the super-secret contract extensions over the years I would guess the Seton Hall coach next season will be Kevin Willard. And that will be the end of my 20-plus years as a Seton Hall season ticket holder. I can take losing. Lord knows I've seen enough of it over the years. I can't support a program in which there is not even basic human decency.

Really the only hope of getting rid of Willard would seem to be somebody outside the university blowing up the Sina thing. The university is obviously determined to sweep it under the rug. Hope the local media is digging. They won't have to dig very far if they are.

Where has the program shown the lack of basic human decency? Just asking because I don't follow it that closely.
Bill Marsh

Postby BillikensWin » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:39 am

Just read through this...interesting thought towards the end.

"Setting the program back" by firing a coach is an interesting concept to me. (Saint Louis fan in the same mindset about our "coach".)

Seton Hall fans, good luck...hope you guys get the coach you want if Willard is let go.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby Boyee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:05 pm

I don't think Willard will be fired. Oliver Purnell has yet to have a season above .500 at DePaul. I, as a Blue Demon fan and alumnus of DePaul University hope he is canned at the end of this season (unless they have magic and find a way to win the Big East Tournament) . I think Steve Lavin is the 2nd most likely to get fired.w
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Postby NJRedman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Boyee wrote:I don't think Willard will be fired. Oliver Purnell has yet to have a season above .500 at DePaul. I, as a Blue Demon fan and alumnus of DePaul University hope he is canned at the end of this season (unless they have magic and find a way to win the Big East Tournament) . I think Steve Lavin is the 2nd most likely to get fired.w

No offense but you're wrong. Willard has a losing record at Seton Hall and the best finish he had was 8th in the 16 team Big East. He has yet to make a tournament and his team is falling apart. Lavin has a winning record at SJU, has made the tournament, has finished tied for 3rd twice and is in the mix for another tourny appearance this season. How do you explain him being on a hotter seat than Willard? Also in DePauls case Purnell is clearly improving the team. They have gotten better each season, something Willard can't say about his time at Seton Hall.

Purnell was given a long term contract because he and the school knew it was a long term rebuilding job. He lost 5 conference games that went to OT last season and has won 6 conference games this season. The team is improving, like the pace or not you have to admit that the rebuilding is working. If they had just taken care of business in OOC they would be in the bubble discussion. A long shot but they would be in the discussion. If people are still talking about Seton Hall they would be talking about DePaul.

Willard is clearly on the hottest seat in the conference. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been paying attention.
NJRedman

Postby RDinNY » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:08 pm

I posted lst season on the St. John's board tthat Depaul was improving as a team. I pointed to the competitive games and the fact tha they were losing some close ones. People obviously disagreed but you could see that he brought in a couple of good kids and they were playing hard. The results showed this year in the early part of the Big East schedule. I don't know why they were so weak in the OCC schedule and then turned it up for the BE games. While I take no position on who should coach rival school, I agree that Purnell has improved the team from one year to the next. Whether he's done enough is up to Depaul fans and administration to decide.

Btw, if Tommy Hamilton gave a bit more this year, they might have won a few more. Last year, I thought he showed potention and be a force down low this year. He seems to have taken a step back.
RDinNY

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:15 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Boyee wrote:I don't think Willard will be fired. Oliver Purnell has yet to have a season above .500 at DePaul. I, as a Blue Demon fan and alumnus of DePaul University hope he is canned at the end of this season (unless they have magic and find a way to win the Big East Tournament) . I think Steve Lavin is the 2nd most likely to get fired.w

No offense but you're wrong. Willard has a losing record at Seton Hall and the best finish he had was 8th in the 16 team Big East. He has yet to make a tournament and his team is falling apart. Lavin has a winning record at SJU, has made the tournament, has finished tied for 3rd twice and is in the mix for another tourny appearance this season. How do you explain him being on a hotter seat than Willard? Also in DePauls case Purnell is clearly improving the team. They have gotten better each season, something Willard can't say about his time at Seton Hall.

Purnell was given a long term contract because he and the school knew it was a long term rebuilding job. He lost 5 conference games that went to OT last season and has won 6 conference games this season. The team is improving, like the pace or not you have to admit that the rebuilding is working. If they had just taken care of business in OOC they would be in the bubble discussion. A long shot but they would be in the discussion. If people are still talking about Seton Hall they would be talking about DePaul.

Willard is clearly on the hottest seat in the conference. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been paying attention.

DePaul right now would be in no bubble discussion- unless they had gone like 12-1 OOC. Even say if they had gone 10-3 right now- they would be at 16-12. What is a killer is they had the #300 OOC SOS.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:22 pm

stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

DePaul right now would be in no bubble discussion- unless they had gone like 12-1 OOC. Even say if they had gone 10-3 right now- they would be at 16-12. What is a killer is they had the #300 OOC SOS.

Then why is Seton Hall or some of the other longshots being talked about? They always talk about teams who wont make the tourny.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board