Who Replaces Willard?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Who Replaces Willard?

Postby gavitspeaks » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
TheBall wrote:Willard was hired at $600-700k. I am unaware of him getting a raise at any point.

Willard's base salary when he was hired was reportedly $500K but the total compensation package was estimated at "roughly $1 million" per year for 5 years. The contract was extended in 2013 and details were not released. Reports were that the extension ran through 2019-20.

The extension has to last that long or the guy is a sitting, dead duck on the recruiting circuit. SH (or any committed school) has to take his contract out that far or else cut him loose. Think about the B. Gonzalez nitemare and think about where Willard has them. Again, can SH get somewhere better? I know. I know. Danny Hurley. How does anyone know if Hurley would even go there. Just because it is his alma mater doesnt mean he goes. Who else? Willard can recruit and he can coach.
gavitspeaks

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:26 pm

gavitspeaks wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
TheBall wrote:Willard was hired at $600-700k. I am unaware of him getting a raise at any point.

Willard's base salary when he was hired was reportedly $500K but the total compensation package was estimated at "roughly $1 million" per year for 5 years. The contract was extended in 2013 and details were not released. Reports were that the extension ran through 2019-20.

The extension has to last that long or the guy is a sitting, dead duck on the recruiting circuit. SH (or any committed school) has to take his contract out that far or else cut him loose. Think about the B. Gonzalez nitemare and think about where Willard has them. Again, can SH get somewhere better? I know. I know. Danny Hurley. How does anyone know if Hurley would even go there. Just because it is his alma mater doesnt mean he goes. Who else? Willard CAN'T recruit and he CAN'T coach.

FIFY
hoyahooligan

Postby Bearcat_Bounce » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:25 pm

After he gets fired from Seton Hall, I wonder if he'd end up as an assistant at Cincinnati! I think there is a good chance one of our assistants will get a head coaching job and Mick is good friends with Willard!
Bearcat_Bounce

Postby gavitspeaks » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Bearcat_Bounce wrote:After he gets fired from Seton Hall, I wonder if he'd end up as an assistant at Cincinnati! I think there is a good chance one of our assistants will get a head coaching job and Mick is good friends with Willard!

If Seton Hall fires him, it will set the program back again. That's the only recurring theme from Louis Orr to now. The program rarely moves forward. At some point, it isn't about the coach anymore. Willard will land on his feet with one of the Pitino's or his father or Mick. The guy is highly respected and has high level coaching lineage. He'll thrive while Seton Hall starts over again.
gavitspeaks

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:35 pm

gavitspeaks wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

The extension has to last that long or the guy is a sitting, dead duck on the recruiting circuit. SH (or any committed school) has to take his contract out that far or else cut him loose. Think about the B. Gonzalez nitemare and think about where Willard has them. Ag ain, can SH get somewhere better? I know. I know. Danny Hurley. How does anyone know if Hurley would even go there. Just because it is his alma mater doesnt mean he goes. Who else? Willard can recruit and he can coach.

Well he certainly can't coach since he is below .500 as the Seton Hall HC. He needed to sell out to get a decent recruiting class. I don't know how you can say he can do both, if he could he wouldn't be getting fired soon. You don't keep a bad coach because you might hire another bad coach. Thats asinine.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:36 pm

gavitspeaks wrote:
Bearcat_Bounce wrote:After he gets fired from Seton Hall, I wonder if he'd end up as an assistant at Cincinnati! I think there is a good chance one of our assistants will get a head coaching job and Mick is good friends with Willard!

If Seton Hall fires him, it will set the program back again. That's the only recurring theme from Louis Orr to now. The program rarely moves forward. At some point, it isn't about the coach anymore. Willard will land on his feet with one of the Pitino's or his father or Mick. The guy is highly respected and has high level coaching lineage. He'll thrive while Seton Hall starts over again.

If they keep him it will set the program back.
NJRedman

Postby shupat2008 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:57 pm

KW's base salary in 2013 or 2014 (forget the exact year) was 1.38 Million according to SHU tax records...

And if firing KW will set back SHU's program, what will keeping KW to watch over a dumpster fire do?

People should know what they are speaking about. FWIW.
shupat2008

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:34 am

interesting tweet from Jeff Goodman from ESPN:
GoodmanESPN Jeff Goodman
He and the AD have been pretty close. @CollegeHoopNews: @GoodmanESPN Does Kevin Willard lose his job at the end of this season?
stever20

Postby shupat2008 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:35 am

Doubt Jeff Goodman has any inside info...

It's pretty easy to tweet "will Willard be fired?" since this season is a complete and utter dumpster fire.

But the point about KW and Lyons being tight...

KW was hired from Iona, when SHU fired their AD, Lyons from IONA got the job (see the connection) and then he hired Tony Bozzella from Iona for the Women's program (and he's doing a heck of a job there).

Swimming & Diving, Softball, Baseball, Women's BBall, Volleyball have all gotten better under Lyons. Men's BBall hasn't... But it seems that KW was very instrumental in getting Lyons hired.

Now, will Lyons have the cajones to fire KW and give him a pretty big buyout? That's the question.
shupat2008

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:42 am

shupat2008 wrote:Doubt Jeff Goodman has any inside info...

It's pretty easy to tweet "will Willard be fired?" since this season is a complete and utter dumpster fire.

But the point about KW and Lyons being tight...

KW was hired from Iona, when SHU fired their AD, Lyons from IONA got the job (see the connection) and then he hired Tony Bozzella from Iona for the Women's program (and he's doing a heck of a job there).

Swimming & Diving, Softball, Baseball, Women's BBall, Volleyball have all gotten better under Lyons. Men's BBall hasn't... But it seems that KW was very instrumental in getting Lyons hired.

Now, will Lyons have the cajones to fire KW and give him a pretty big buyout? That's the question.

The way I read the exchange is that Goodman was asked will he be fired, not Goodman asking will he be fired?
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board