Who Replaces Willard?

The home for Big East hoops

Who Replaces Willard?

Postby NJRedman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:28 am

Since it looks like Willard is on the hottest seat right now and the most likely to be fired at the end of the season short of a miraculous run through the BET, who should, could or will be the next Seton Hall coach?

Does Hurly come back home? Does Masiello at Manhattan finally get his transcripts in order? Does Whiteheads AAU coach just become the head coach? (Sorry Pirates, you know us Johnnies can't help but snicker at that one :lol: )
NJRedman

Who Replaces Willard?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who Replaces Willard?

Postby RDinNY » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:55 am

I hate when fans of other teams talk about replacing my coach. Therefore, I will not engage in this conversation.
RDinNY

Postby TheBall » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:27 am

Open the bank and go get Jamie Dixon?
Danny Hurley's name will be thrown around, but I'm not sure he has what it takes. Archie Miller have any northeast ties?

Unfortunately, seton hall does not have a track record of going after proven coaches. Say what you will about DePaul, but when they grabbed Purnell that was a big money hire. Meanwhile, seton hall became the first big east team to ever hire a head coach with a career losing record, and they made him among the lowest paid coaches among all major conference schools.
TheBall

Postby NJRedman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:43 am

RDinNY wrote:I hate when fans of other teams talk about replacing my coach. Therefore, I will not engage in this conversation.

So you're just commenting in a thread to tell us you wont be commenting in said thread? :lol:
NJRedman

Postby RDinNY » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:38 am

NJRedman wrote:
RDinNY wrote:I hate when fans of other teams talk about replacing my coach. Therefore, I will not engage in this conversation.

So you're just commenting in a thread to tell us you wont be commenting in said thread? :lol:

Yes, while expressing my opinion that I don't think fans should suggest coaching changes for another team. It's like telling someone else how they should discipline their kid.
RDinNY

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:16 am

I think that Whitehead is the obvious choice. :D

As a point of information, Masiello's papers are all in order. He completed his undergraduate requirements at Kentucky last summer, and he wouldn't be back at Manhattan if he hadn't. Accomplishing that was a stipulation for his return. It's interesting to see how he's handling Jermaine Lawrence, the Cincinnati transfer and former top 20 recruit. (He would have been a McDonald's All American if not for an injury.) Lawrence is seeing very little playing time this year and has only started a few times. Minor injuries have been a factor but not a major factor. Masiello's comment about the situation has been: "We're developing him, but we're doing it the right way." I think that speaks volumes about the kind of coach that Masiello is. Personally I hope that he stays at Manhattan for more than one year, given what the school did to help him reestablish his career.
Bill Marsh

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37 am

A St. John's fan busting on Seton Hall's coach? Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black no?

Lavin doesn't have 1 tournament win and although this year has started to look a wee bit more promising there is a chance you guys lose not only all 4 of your Seniors but Obepka and Jordan as well. 1 Top 40 kid isn't going to replace that.

As far as I'm concerned unless Lavin gets 2 or 3 more guys, it is back to square one for St. John's next year. Most coaches had their 2015 classes set months ago.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:14 am

ChestRockwell85 wrote:A St. John's fan busting on Seton Hall's coach? Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black no?

Lavin doesn't have 1 tournament win and although this year has started to look a wee bit more promising there is a chance you guys lose not only all 4 of your Seniors but Obepka and Jordan as well. 1 Top 40 kid isn't going to replace that.

As far as I'm concerned unless Lavin gets 2 or 3 more guys, it is back to square one for St. John's next year. Most coaches had their 2015 classes set months ago.

Where are Obepka and Jordan going?
Bill Marsh

Postby RDinNY » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:19 am

St. John's will be fine next year.
RDinNY

Postby shupirate98 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:25 am

Based on the non-response from the university to this week's shameful events and based on the absurdly high buyout thanks to all the super-secret contract extensions over the years I would guess the Seton Hall coach next season will be Kevin Willard. And that will be the end of my 20-plus years as a Seton Hall season ticket holder. I can take losing. Lord knows I've seen enough of it over the years. I can't support a program in which there is not even basic human decency.

Really the only hope of getting rid of Willard would seem to be somebody outside the university blowing up the Sina thing. The university is obviously determined to sweep it under the rug. Hope the local media is digging. They won't have to dig very far if they are.
shupirate98

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board