Val bursts into your office, WE HAVE TO CHOOSE TODAY!

The home for Big East hoops

New Teams

Dayton
18%
Gonzaga
32%
St. Louis
27%
Wichita St.
4%
VCU
20%

Total votes : 101

Re: Val bursts into your office, WE HAVE TO CHOOSE TODAY!

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:59 pm

yeti47 wrote:
R Jay wrote:Let me make this clear, you don't want to have anything to do with Wichita... It's just like Dayton in terms of fans, but worse.

Again. Jays rivalry. Hated rival. Perfect. I love their hatred

The bloom is already off the proverbial rose in Wichita IMO. As soon as Marshall leaves, they are back to being mediocre. Speaking of Gregg, that's a guy that would do well at St. John's.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby indienapolis » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:06 pm

yeti47 wrote:
R Jay wrote:Let me make this clear, you don't want to have anything to do with Wichita... It's just like Dayton in terms of fans, but worse.

My thoughts exactly. Butler and Xavier fans have been locked in a love/hate relationship that has spanned multiple conferences. I'm glad we both joined the Big East to keep that rivalry alive. I guess there's a lot I don't know about either Wichita or Creighton, but every time Wichita is brought up around here, the Creighton fans seethe. What's so wrong with Wichita fans? Anyone care to educate me on this rivalry?
indienapolis

Postby marquette » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:15 pm

indienapolis wrote:
yeti47 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Butler and Xavier fans have been linked in a love/hate relationship that has spanned multiple conferences. I'm glad we both joined the Big East to keep that rivalry alive. I guess there's a lot I don't know about either Wichita or Creighton, but every time Wichita is brought up around here, the Creighton fans seethe. What's so wrong with Wichita fans? Anyone care to educate me on this rivalry?

Just a guess, but a bottom rung university (96% acceptance rate) in a state with poor higher education performance (flagship Kansas isn't even in the top 100) probably churns out substandard students who are looking for any reason to chest thump. Horribly stereotypical, but plausible. Not saying everyone who goes to a low ranked state school is a horrible person, but when you have to accept 96% of applicants to even get to an enrollment of 15,000 there are going to be some mental midgets in there.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:45 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
yeti47 wrote:

The bloom is already off the proverbial rose in Wichita IMO. As soon as Marshall leaves, they are back to being mediocre. Speaking of Gregg, that's a guy that would do well at St. John's.

Gregg Matshall? Interesting suggestion. Obviously an outstanding coach. Nothing lacking in that regard.he's certainly prepared himself to move up to the next level.

Good fit at St. John's? He's a South Carolina native and spent his entire life in The Carolinas and Virginia before moving to Wichita. Does he have any interest in a move to the big city? To a Catholic school? On the surface it doesn't look like a fit. Reminds me of Rick Barnes at Providence. He couldn't wait to get out of there and went right back to the Carolina's when he did leave, he had to be coerced to stay as long as he did. And that was Providence, not the Big Apple.

Maybe Marshall is adaptable. Maybe he's cosmopolitan. I don't know. But it would sure require a closer look before slotting him into the SJU job.
Bill Marsh

Postby section202jay » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:48 pm

You do not want Wichita State in this conference. Trust me. It'd be instant buyer's remorse if they were to ever join.

They're the exact opposite of what this great conference stands for. They have had some on-court success the last few seasons. That's about it.

Their academic institution is sub-par and their student body looks like the cast of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Swamp People.

We dealt with them for years in the Valley. Wichita State belongs in some sort of pseudo conference with SEC basketball programs. Not the Big East.
section202jay

Postby yeti47 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Creighton fan and do hate wichita state with a passion. But what makes college basketball great is rivalries. I understand overtime rivalries develop. But the hate between creighton and Wichita state simmers more than Creighton's hate with nebraska. That's why I say in even though their academics are too be desired to possibly invite them. Wish teleportation was a thing invite Gonzaga. But that would strain the Big east name. Lol
yeti47

Postby R Jay » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:32 pm

I think my original post has been Mis-interpreted. I want nothing to do with with Wichita and am vigorously opposed to any talk of adding them.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:18 pm

VCU played Wichita St. 3 years straight (@WSU Bracketbusters 2011, NCAAs 2012, @VCU 2013 return BB game). Following the last game, WSU wanted to begin a H&H with VCU. Shaka said no, due to some animosity between the two coaches. VCU had a recruit who verbally committed to the school, but on signing day all of a sudden backed out and went to WSU.

VCU spends $5 million on basketball annually, is adding a $25 million practice facility this fall. The University has an endowment of 1.505 Billion, and a top Medical School. The institution alternates with GMU every year as the largest school in Virginia (32k). Some friends from my military days conduct SOCOM medical training with the school, where they receive advanced emergency medical training. VCU also boasts several #1 national programs (Nurse Anesthesialogy, sculpture, etc..) as well as several federal research grants to study PTSD. VCU can never cross the "institutional fit" category, but it's academic ranking is rising yearly due to greater demand, lower acceptance rate. As the Medical College merges more with the school, donorship should rise from Medical alums.

VCU is fully committed to basketball institutionally and financially. There is no one speaking of beginning a football program (costs $100 million), no donors willing to step up for football and all focus is on branding.VCU sits in the 56th highest DMA, but owns the market basketball wise (really in the last 4 years). VCU, being a large public university, has also made headway with fans throughout the state. A lot more articles focusing on VCU in the Norfolk/Va Beach area, as well as the Washington media (although not as much as the 757). VCU has had 4 straight 26-win season (only others are Duke and Syracuse), and has not had an RPI higher than 80 in the last 10 years ('despite being in the CAA and A10).

The school is lacking in institutional fit, and some of its on the court success can be criticized. If the only focus is in basketball success, and probability of future success, VCU is the clear leader compared to other candidates not named Gonzaga. Understandably institutional fit seems to be a big standard on this site, so it severely hampers VCU's ability to join the conference.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby TheBall » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:44 pm

marquette wrote:
Just a guess, but a bottom rung university (96% acceptance rate) in a state with poor higher education performance (flagship Kansas isn't even in the top 100) probably churns out substandard students who are looking for any reason to chest thump. Horribly stereotypical, but plausible. Not saying everyone who goes to a low ranked state school is a horrible person, but when you have to accept 96% of applicants to even get to an enrollment of 15,000 there are going to be some mental midgets in there.
and if people question why those in the northeast rip in rutgers, it Is similar situation (but to a lesser degree)
TheBall

Postby Xudash » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:51 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:VCU played Wichita St. 3 years straight (@WSU Bracketbusters 2011, NCAAs 2012, @VCU 2013 return BB game). Following the last game, WSU wanted to begin a H&H with VCU. Shaka said no, due to some animosity between the two coaches. VCU had a recruit who verbally committed to the school, but on signing day all of a sudden backed out and went to WSU.

VCU spends $5 million on basketball annually, is adding a $25 million practice facility this fall. The University has an endowment of 1.505 Billion, and a top Medical School. The institution alternates with GMU every year as the largest school in Virginia (32k). Some friends from my military days conduct SOCOM medical training with the school, where they receive advanced emergency medical training. VCU also boasts several #1 national programs (Nurse Anesthesialogy, sculpture, etc..) as well as several federal research grants to study PTSD. VCU can never cross the "institutional fit" category, but it's academic ranking is rising yearly due to greater demand, lower acceptance rate. As the Medical College merges more with the school, donorship should rise from Medical alums.

VCU is fully committed to basketball institutionally and financially. There is no one speaking of beginning a football program (costs $100 million), no donors willing to step up for football and all focus is on branding.VCU sits in the 56th highest DMA, but owns the market basketball wise (really in the last 4 years). VCU, being a large public university, has also made headway with fans throughout the state. A lot more articles focusing on VCU in the Norfolk/Va Beach area, as well as the Washington media (although not as much as the 757). VCU has had 4 straight 26-win season (only others are Duke and Syracuse), and has not had an RPI higher than 80 in the last 10 years ('despite being in the CAA and A10).

The school is lacking in institutional fit, and some of its on the court success can be criticized. If the only focus is in basketball success, and probability of future success, VCU is the clear leader compared to other candidates not named Gonzaga. Understandably institutional fit seems to be a big standard on this site, so it severely hampers VCU's ability to join the conference.

That is a very compelling case for VCU.

You have to wonder how important it is staying with private schools. It is obvious that schools with larger enrollments add value where such schools have otherwise established strong hoops programs.
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board