Val bursts into your office, WE HAVE TO CHOOSE TODAY!

The home for Big East hoops

New Teams

Dayton
18%
Gonzaga
32%
St. Louis
27%
Wichita St.
4%
VCU
20%

Total votes : 101

Re: Val bursts into your office, WE HAVE TO CHOOSE TODAY!

Postby marquette » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:17 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:VCU played Wichita St. 3 years straight (@WSU Bracketbusters 2011, NCAAs 2012, @VCU 2013 return BB game). Following the last game, WSU wanted to begin a H&H with VCU. Shaka said no, due to some animosity between the two coaches. VCU had a recruit who verbally committed to the school, but on signing day all of a sudden backed out and went to WSU.

VCU spends $5 million on basketball annually, is adding a $25 million practice facility this fall. The University has an endowment of 1.505 Billion, and a top Medical School. The institution alternates with GMU every year as the largest school in Virginia (32k). Some friends from my military days conduct SOCOM medical training with the school, where they receive advanced emergency medical training. VCU also boasts several #1 national programs (Nurse Anesthesialogy, sculpture, etc..) as well as several federal research grants to study PTSD. VCU can never cross the "institutional fit" category, but it's academic ranking is rising yearly due to greater demand, lower acceptance rate. As the Medical College merges more with the school, donorship should rise from Medical alums.

VCU is fully committed to basketball institutionally and financially. There is no one speaking of beginning a football program (costs $100 million), no donors willing to step up for football and all focus is on branding.VCU sits in the 56th highest DMA, but owns the market basketball wise (really in the last 4 years). VCU, being a large public university, has also made headway with fans throughout the state. A lot more articles focusing on VCU in the Norfolk/Va Beach area, as well as the Washington media (although not as much as the 757). VCU has had 4 straight 26-win season (only others are Duke and Syracuse), and has not had an RPI higher than 80 in the last 10 years ('despite being in the CAA and A10).

The school is lacking in institutional fit, and some of its on the court success can be criticized. If the only focus is in basketball success, and probability of future success, VCU is the clear leader compared to other candidates not named Gonzaga. Understandably institutional fit seems to be a big standard on this site, so it severely hampers VCU's ability to join the conference.

Don't get me wrong, I think the presidents are stupid for leaving z VCU out. I just expect them to keep it private in the first round of expansion. Barring some crazy realignment I expect VCU and one more school to be invited in the next tv negotiations to get us to 14.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Re: Val bursts into your office, WE HAVE TO CHOOSE TODAY!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board