Jaren Sina leaves Seton Hall

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Jaren Sina leaves Seton Hall

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:48 am

EMT wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
EMT wrote:Really?

Are you saying they didn't? Did you watch the game?

I watched the whole game. They had 19 turnovers and if Dunn doesn't have 2 straight stupid fouls it's not even close.

Let's ask Seton Hall fans....Did you guys look good today?

I like the fact that you set high standards for your team.

Yes, they had 19 turnovers. That's not what I was getting at. They played hard the entire game. They gave everything they had to try to win. That showed up in their 40 rebounds, which is the biggest effort stat there is.

They essentially played a top 30 team dead even on the road. They had the lead with less than 6 minutes to go. They held PC to 38% shooting overall and 27% from 3 in their own building. Defense is all about effort.

Did they make mistakes? Of course they did. They had 3-4 freshmen out there most of the time. What do you expect? As you point out, Dunn, the likely Player of the Year, made mistakes. Not only the stupid fouls but he turned the ball over 4 times himself. But you expect freshmen to play mistake free ball? Seriously?

Why should I ask Seton Hall fans how they played? Not exactly an objective group. Especially right now. The team is going through growing pains as every young team does regardless of how talented.

I was rooting for Providence in this game. After all that's gone on this week, I expected the Friars to blow them out. I walked away from the game with great respect for the effort the Seton Hall team put forth and for the way they regrouped to play this well on the road.

You have to realize that this is a highly motivated Providence team that wants to defend it's BE championship and wants to go deep into the NCAA tournament. They have everything to play for right now. They wanted badly to put Seton Hall away in front of the home crowd - especially after the way that Seton Hall embarrassed them in their own building last year. (I was at the game.) But the Pirates just wouldn't let them do that and even took the lead late in the game. That's what matters with regard to how they played, not a bad stat like TOs.

The fact that Providence won the game is a tribute to them and their veteran leadership, not a knock on the young Pirates.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby EMT » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:09 pm

I like the fact that you set high standards for your team.

Yes, they had 19 turnovers. That's not what I was getting at. They played hard the entire game. They gave everything they had to try to win. That showed up in their 40 rebounds, which is the biggest effort stat there is.

They essentially played a top 30 team dead even on the road. They had the lead with less than 6 minutes to go. They held PC to 38% shooting overall and 27% from 3 in their own building. Defense is all about effort.

Did they make mistakes? Of course they did. They had 3-4 freshmen out there most of the time. What do you expect? As you point out, Dunn, the likely Player of the Year, made mistakes. Not only the stupid fouls but he turned the ball over 4 times himself. But you expect freshmen to play mistake free ball? Seriously?

Why should I ask Seton Hall fans how they played? Not exactly an objective group. Especially right now. The team is going through growing pains as every young team does regardless of how talented.

I was rooting for Providence in this game. After all that's gone on this week, I expected the Friars to blow them out. I walked away from the game with great respect for the effort the Seton Hall team put forth and for the way they regrouped to play this well on the road.

You have to realize that this is a highly motivated Providence team that wants to defend it's BE championship and wants to go deep into the NCAA tournament. They have everything to play for right now. They wanted badly to put Seton Hall away in front of the home crowd - especially after the way that Seton Hall embarrassed them in their own building last year. (I was at the game.) But the Pirates just wouldn't let them do that and even took the lead late in the game. That's what matters with regard to how they played, not a bad stat like TOs.

The fact that Providence won the game is a tribute to them and their veteran leadership, not a knock on the young Pirates.[/quote]

Got it. We agree 100%. Seton Hall played hard. They didn't play good.
EMT

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board