Awful Announcing: Will Big East Low Ratings Scare B1G Away?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Awful Announcing: Will Big East Low Ratings Scare B1G Aw

Postby NJRedman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:53 pm

MUPanther wrote:
robinreed wrote:There is no doubt that if B10 comes to FSN the number of BE games on FSN 1 will decrease. However should the B10 sign with Fox the FSN 1 will increase overall viewership significantly. Their hockey and women's sports will go mostly to FSN 2 along witrs. I think we may actually see some increase basketball viewership even if the games are not in prime time. Overall we will be second fiddle but still much stronger than we currently are.

While it is true that the B10 thinks only of themselves as does Fox we can improve ourselves simply by being on the same network so long as our schedule is not attenuated by the competition.

I don't think the Big East will be second fiddle. That's not how to grow a network. There is still alot of time slots unused during Sunday and during the week on FS1. If ESPN can do it with the ACC, B1G, PAC 12, SEC, BIG 12, AAC, ETC, I know FS1 can do it with the Big East, B1G and 22 Pac-12 games and a limit of Conference USA games.

The funny thing is it's not even that much, FS1 has little to no Big XII BBall games.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 pm

MUPanther wrote:Gopher+RamFan wrote, Where are you getting this 53/47 stat? In another post, you said that's only for the NCAA tournament ratings. I'm talking about regular season (which is what cable companies are paying for), and if you're saying the state university of Wisconsin is on par ratings wise with Marquette then I need what you're smoking.

Great, your talking about regular season. They draw about yearly average about 1.0 per the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel over the years. What's with the part about myself smoking something, just because you disagree that's on you! I'm talking just about the City of Milwaukee, which is not a college town. If your talking statewide, it's Wisconsin Badgers by a landslide.

Just doing a cursory search looking for ratings lists, I checked the. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's website. Listed there, were sports blogs on the main sports page. Obviously, they usually put their most popular blog at the top, followed in order by who gets the most clicks.

Badger Blog is #1, followed the Packers blog, local blogs, Brewers blog, Bucks blog, then at #8 the Golden Eagles blog. Of course that doesn't prove ratings, but it's a pretty good indicator from the hometown paper. Always interested to see the source on those numbers.

Hard for private schools to compete with state schools for viewership. All the more accolades deserved for those who make it work, like some BE members do.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:58 pm

FS1 doesn't have the men's Big 12, just women's. The B1G, is the Big Ten logo I wrote.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:02 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Gopher+RamFan wrote, Where are you getting this 53/47 stat? In another post, you said that's only for the NCAA tournament ratings. I'm talking about regular season (which is what cable companies are paying for), and if you're saying the state university of Wisconsin is on par ratings wise with Marquette then I need what you're smoking.

Great, your talking about regular season. They draw about yearly average about 1.0 per the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel over the years. What's with the part about myself smoking something, just because you disagree that's on you! I'm talking just about the City of Milwaukee, which is not a college town. If your talking statewide, it's Wisconsin Badgers by a landslide.

Just doing a cursory search looking for ratings lists, I checked the. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's website. Listed there, were sports blogs on the main sports page. Obviously, they usually put their most popular blog at the top, followed in order by who gets the most clicks.

Badger Blog is #1, followed the Packers blog, local blogs, Brewers blog, Bucks blog, then at #8 the Golden Eagles blog. Of course that doesn't prove ratings, but it's a pretty good indicator from the hometown paper. Always interested to see the source on those numbers.

Hard for private schools to compete with state schools for viewership. All the more accolades deserved for those who make it work, like some BE members do.

Dude, you need to give it up and stop telling me how things roll in Milwaukee. I could be anymore more crystal clear. Plus, the order goes by the newest post blog on top, not by being popular. I'm the source, if you don't like it tough.
MUPanther

Postby R Jay » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:11 pm

I find it a bit humorous that someone who I assume lives outside of Milwaukee is trying to tell someone who actually lives in Milwaukee how the sports hierarchy works there.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:24 pm

R Jay wrote:I find it a bit humorous that someone who I assume lives outside of Milwaukee is trying to tell someone who actually lives in Milwaukee how the sports hierarchy works there.

The only assumption, having been born in Wisconsin, is that Badgers viewership is much higher than MU. Especially not close to half and half. The Badger game last Tuesday at 7 PM garnered 17.5 times more viewers than the Golden Eagles game last Wednesday night.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby DeltaV » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:46 pm

I know we want to see this through Big East colored glasses, because that is what we care about.

However, does FS1 survive without more programming, bigger alumni pools, in 10 years to give us another rockstar deal? WIth the BIG, we're second fiddle...but without them, I don't see this little experiment surviving, and we're playing 5th fiddle on ESPN Ocho.

I would bet Fox knows that another big score is vital to their network. You say ESPN will pay an outrageous amount for the BIG? I bet FOX will match it and make our $500 Mil look like pocket change. And I think BIG takes it, because it will stroke their egos. They know that their viewers will come to them; our current ratings don't matter to them...mountains of cash, however, does.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:55 pm

DeltaV wrote:I know we want to see this through Big East colored glasses, because that is what we care about.

However, does FS1 survive without more programming, bigger alumni pools, in 10 years to give us another rockstar deal? WIth the BIG, we're second fiddle...but without them, I don't see this little experiment surviving, and we're playing 5th fiddle on ESPN Ocho.

I would bet Fox knows that another big score is vital to their network. You say ESPN will pay an outrageous amount for the BIG? I bet FOX will match it and make our $500 Mil look like pocket change. And I think BIG takes it, because it will stroke their egos. They know that their viewers will come to them; our current ratings don't matter to them...mountains of cash, however, does.

Agreed with all, just unsure If the a BIG takes it. Fox will outspend it's competitors to land them, because they're desperate to compete. The BE will have to play second fiddle, but as they say a rising tide lifts all ships.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
R Jay wrote:I find it a bit humorous that someone who I assume lives outside of Milwaukee is trying to tell someone who actually lives in Milwaukee how the sports hierarchy works there.

The only assumption, having been born in Wisconsin, is that Badgers viewership is much higher than MU. Especially not close to half and half. The Badger game last Tuesday at 7 PM garnered 17.5 times more viewers than the Golden Eagles game last Wednesday night.

I never said much higher. I'm taking over a 10+ year period and I said from the start when both are good. That is not the case the past two years, as Wisconsin is a Final Four team and MU is well not winning this year. Plus, your giving national ratings, not Milwaukee area ratings. Plus, like I said UW and MU really are not on the radar all that much in Milwaukee anyways. It's Packers, Packers, Brewers, Packers and Packers.

In the 70's there was two major things Packers and Al McGuire and Marquette. Marquette always had a nice fanbase in Milwaukee as they have been in the top 15 in attendance in America for over a decade, by a re-birth thanks to Tom Crean and D Wade.
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:03 pm

Many are guessing that the Big Ten goes with FOX or ESPN. I'm guessing a split with both FOX and ESPN just like the Big 12 and Pac-12 in football.
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board