Awful Announcing: Will Big East Low Ratings Scare B1G Away?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Awful Announcing: Will Big East Low Ratings Scare B1G Aw

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:07 pm

Gopher+RamFan wrote:
butlerguy03 wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:Again there's plenty of time on FS1 for both conferences. Right now BE is on 3-4 days a week Max. We could easily Have BE on Monday, B10 on Tuesday, BE on Wednesday, B10 Thursday, BE on Saturday, B10 on Sunday.

It would be nice to see doubleheaders. Especially Saturdays, BE 12pm, B10 3:30pm, BE 6pm, B10, 8:30pm, Pac12 11pm - being associated with the B10 would only help us in the long term. Call it "Big Saturdays with Big 10 and Big East basketball." Alternate on FS2 or FOX or BTN.

Don't forget that Fox owns 51% of the Big Ten Network.

Yes, and if the B1G puts their games on FS2, they'd have to eat their lossed revenue from having no live programming on BTN. It would have to make sense for the B1G to allow their games to be shown on FS2, right now it doesn't make sense.

The Big 10 doesn't have to put their games on FS2. Neither does the BE. No one has to go there because there are plenty of time slots on FS1.

Again look at this week. We had 2 games on Tuesday, 2 games on Wednesday, 4 games on Saturday and that's it. So Monday, Thursday, and Sunday were all free. B10 will put games on FS1 and BTN. BE will continue to have most of their games on FS1 with some on CBS sports or regional coverage just like they are now.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:16 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:
Yes, and if the B1G puts their games on FS2, they'd have to eat their lossed revenue from having no live programming on BTN. It would have to make sense for the B1G to allow their games to be shown on FS2, right now it doesn't make sense.

The Big 10 doesn't have to put their games on FS2. Neither does the BE. No one has to go there because there are plenty of time slots on FS1.

Again look at this week. We had 2 games on Tuesday, 2 games on Wednesday, 4 games on Saturday and that's it. So Monday, Thursday, and Sunday were all free. B10 will put games on FS1 and BTN. BE will continue to have most of their games on FS1 with some on CBS sports or regional coverage just like they are now.

I agree with you 100% and would even add that if they did land the whole of the Big Ten contract they would even do Sat double headers on Fox with our best match up and their best match ups. So for the Big Ten fans they could expect to find saturday games on Fox, FS1 and BTN.

I could even see the run off games sold to CBSSN before they were sent to FS2. Games like NW/PSU or Minny/Rutgers.
NJRedman

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:59 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
Gopher+RamFan wrote:

That would be much more preferable to the B1G instead of FS2 like some on here were stating.

Now the Big Ten usually does multiple games on: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday.

I don't think having both conferences on FS1 is out of the question, I'm just responding to some commenters who have said the B1G would allow their games to be pushed to FS2. You'd see a lot more BE games on CBSSports in this makeup, that's for sure.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Frank the Tank wrote:
MUPanther wrote:How do we not know in three years from now FS2 is not many more homes? The picks don't go by marquee to non-marquee. It goes by whatever goes in the contract.

As for Wisconsin/Marquette, if both teams are good as a said it's 53/47, which let's face it is even. The last two years Wisconsin has dominated. In 2013 when Marquette won the Big East and went to the Elite 8, Marquette had the numbers. All of them not on the radar when it comes to the Packers.

Gopher+RamFan is right. The Big Ten isn't putting football and men's basketball games on FS2 at all. The league has a 49% interest in the BTN - if it's a non-marquee game, the league is waaaaay better off having that game on BTN. For that matter, Fox is better off putting that game on BTN, as well, since Fox gets a much higher carriage rate for BTN than FS2. Now, FS2 could certainly become an additional outlet for Big Ten women's basketball, hockey, baseball, volleyball, and other Olympic sports that BTN doesn't have room for. However, the Big Ten isn't moving games from the ESPN networks in order for any of them to end up on FS2 - only the only-the-air Fox network and FS1 are compelling to the league at all (and they're still far behind the 24/7 ESPN machine).

On the other issue, I like Marquette a lot and they're probably the most dependable fan base in the Big East, but Wisconsin has arguably the best top-to-bottom athletic fan support in the country when you look at football and basketball together (and then you add on their hockey fan base on top of that). It looks like you're a Marquette fan, so it's not surprising to see you try to downplay the Badgers

You fail to answer my key question, nobody knows what FS2 will be in households 3 years from now, then that changes things. I'm not saying B1G will be on FS2, but some events will.

I live in Milwaukee and I see the local TV rating and if Badger basketball and MU are both good, it's about even in the TV ratings in Milwaukee. The Badgers and MU is about 5th in the food chain in Milwaukee. It goes Packers, Packers, Packers, you get the point. So, these are not facts, just options, so Gopher=RamFan is not right or wrong. ;)
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:45 pm

MUPanther wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
MUPanther wrote:How do we not know in three years from now FS2 is not many more homes? The picks don't go by marquee to non-marquee. It goes by whatever goes in the contract.

As for Wisconsin/Marquette, if both teams are good as a said it's 53/47, which let's face it is even. The last two years Wisconsin has dominated. In 2013 when Marquette won the Big East and went to the Elite 8, Marquette had the numbers. All of them not on the radar when it comes to the Packers.

Gopher+RamFan is right. The Big Ten isn't putting football and men's basketball games on FS2 at all. The league has a 49% interest in the BTN - if it's a non-marquee game, the league is waaaaay better off having that game on BTN. For that matter, Fox is better off putting that game on BTN, as well, since Fox gets a much higher carriage rate for BTN than FS2. Now, FS2 could certainly become an additional outlet for Big Ten women's basketball, hockey, baseball, volleyball, and other Olympic sports that BTN doesn't have room for. However, the Big Ten isn't moving games from the ESPN networks in order for any of them to end up on FS2 - only the only-the-air Fox network and FS1 are compelling to the league at all (and they're still far behind the 24/7 ESPN machine).

On the other issue, I like Marquette a lot and they're probably the most dependable fan base in the Big East, but Wisconsin has arguably the best top-to-bottom athletic fan support in the country when you look at football and basketball together (and then you add on their hockey fan base on top of that). It looks like you're a Marquette fan, so it's not surprising to see you try to downplay the Badgers

You fail to answer my key question, nobody know what FS2 will be in house 3 years from now. i'm not saying B1G will be on FS2, but some events will. I live in Milwaukee so, yes I know what going on with the Badgers and MU and I see the ratings in the local paper. :roll:

The thing is, what FS2 will be in 3 years is meaningless to this conversation. We just pretty much know 1 thing, the Big Ten won't be on there. You act like Fox has leverage in this. They have none. The Big Ten has ALL of the leverage. If Big Ten is even interested in moving to Fox, they will be the ones dictating the terms, not Fox. If Fox balks, it's back to ESPN .
stever20

Postby TheBall » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Right now we take 4, maybe 5, weeknight time slots per week. There are plenty of time slots for the big ten. I say let's have them join the party!!
TheBall

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:12 pm

They draw about yearly average about 1.0 per the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel over the years. What's with the part about myself smoking something, just because you disagree that's on you! I'm talking just about the City of Milwaukee, which is not a college town. If your talking statewide, it's Wisconsin Badgers by a landslide.
Last edited by MUPanther on Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUPanther

Postby robinreed » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:49 pm

There is no doubt that if B10 comes to FSN the number of BE games on FSN 1 will decrease. However should the B10 sign with Fox the FSN 1 will increase overall viewership significantly. Their hockey and women's sports will go mostly to FSN 2 along with ours. I think we may actually see some increase in BE basketball viewership even if the games are not in prime time. Overall we will be second fiddle but still much stronger than we currently are.

While it is true that the B10 thinks only of themselves as does Fox we can improve ourselves simply by being on the same network so long as our schedule is not attenuated by the competition.
robinreed

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:28 pm

Stever20,
When did I say FOX has leverage. I'm not worried about FS2. You guys are acting like some have said that major game with fall on there. I'm talking about games like Cupcake Tech at Northwestern type games. It's just an opinion. You guess act like things are facts. Money talks, we will see what happens down the road.
Last edited by MUPanther on Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUPanther

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:36 pm

robinreed wrote:There is no doubt that if B10 comes to FSN the number of BE games on FSN 1 will decrease. However should the B10 sign with Fox the FSN 1 will increase overall viewership significantly. Their hockey and women's sports will go mostly to FSN 2 along witrs. I think we may actually see some increase basketball viewership even if the games are not in prime time. Overall we will be second fiddle but still much stronger than we currently are.

While it is true that the B10 thinks only of themselves as does Fox we can improve ourselves simply by being on the same network so long as our schedule is not attenuated by the competition.

I don't think the Big East will be second fiddle. That's not how to grow a network. There is still alot of time slots unused during Sunday and during the week on FS1. If ESPN can do it with the ACC, B1G, PAC 12, SEC, BIG 12, AAC, ETC, I know FS1 can do it with the Big East, B1G and 22 Pac-12 games and a limit of Conference USA games.
MUPanther

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board