Boston College

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Boston College

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:56 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Bill, not for nothing but I am well aware of when BC (FREDO) left the Big East. What I meant was if they didn't leave when they initially did in 2005, they would have left when Syracuse and Louisville did. It was inevitable. And again, no way BC would have ended up like UConn. BC has a lot to offer including the Boston market.

Thanks for the clarification, Chest. I appreciate it. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gosports1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:49 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:
gosports1 wrote:Although I wasnt happy about it, IMO BC had to take the spot in the ACC before someone else from the BE did. They didnt want to take the risk and end up it a situation that UConn currently finds itself in. Its a shame that the old BE FB schools couldnt keep it together and stay an eastern FB league (even without the so called C7)

I am sorry, but there is no way BC would have ended up in a situation like UConn. BC has a MUCH....MUCH stronger football tradition than UConn, not that that says much, but it's true. Football is what is driving the bus. If BC didn't end up in the ACC at the same time Louisville and Syracuse did, another league would have come along. Look at F'ing Rutgers for crying out loud. They are EMBARRASSING and they still get picked up by the Big 10.

Trust me, I am the last person on Earth to sympathize with BC, but they would have not ended up in the AAC.

unlikely, but they couldnt take that chance. look what almost happened to Kansas.
gosports1

Postby TheBall » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:24 am

St John's should go grab Jamie Dixon this summer. Why not? Open the bank and make it happen. Guy is a consistent winner and he recruited NYC well when Pitt was in the big east.

St. John's is a hidden treasure if a job. Pitt is in Pittsburg.
TheBall

Postby robinreed » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:25 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
robinreed wrote:BC does have one of the top attendance figures in Hockey. However they have attracted only 5,800 plus per game this year. Anyone who remembers the old BC knows they would regularly fill their football stadium at 38,000 per game. Those days are gone forever. I would think they would value football and basketball much more than hockey as it brings in more money and gives them better PR.

As to academics I would say that Boston University and even Holy Cross are superior in eastern mass., not to mention Harvard. However having graduated from a school run by Jesuits I know they run a strong scholastic ship.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php

FWIW, US News Academic Rankings of Colleges & Universities in Eastern Massachusetts (# = national rank)

2. Harvard
4. Wellesley (national liberal arts colleges)
7. MIT
27. Tufts
31. Boston College
34. Holy Cross (national liberal arts colleges)
35. Brandeis
42. BU
42. Northeastern

Thanks for this listing Bill. The sheer number of outstanding schools of higher education in the Boston metro area is staggering. My sister took her masters from BU and this is how I know of their excellence but schools like Wellesley, MIT, Tufts, Holy Cross and Brandeis all in one area is truly astounding. I looked this up in Google and Mass has the highest number of colleges and universities in the USA, Ohio is second but the overall ratings of the Ohio schools does not equal those in the Bay State. (hopefully XU is an exception) Of course the people in New England have their winter which in part make's up for this advantage but only partially. On the other hand we have Cleveland and nothing can make up for that.
robinreed

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:20 am

robinreed wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
robinreed wrote:BC does have one of the top attendance figures in Hockey. However they have attracted only 5,800 plus per game this year. Anyone who remembers the old BC knows they would regularly fill their football stadium at 38,000 per game. Those days are gone forever. I would think they would value football and basketball much more than hockey as it brings in more money and gives them better PR.

As to academics I would say that Boston University and even Holy Cross are superior in eastern mass., not to mention Harvard. However having graduated from a school run by Jesuits I know they run a strong scholastic ship.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php

FWIW, US News Academic Rankings of Colleges & Universities in Eastern Massachusetts (# = national rank)

2. Harvard
4. Wellesley (national liberal arts colleges)
7. MIT
27. Tufts
31. Boston College
34. Holy Cross (national liberal arts colleges)
35. Brandeis
42. BU
42. Northeastern

Thanks for this listing Bill. The sheer number of outstanding schools of higher education in the Boston metro area is staggering. My sister took her masters from BU and this is how I know of their excellence but schools like Wellesley, MIT, Tufts, Holy Cross and Brandeis all in one area is truly astounding. I looked this up in Google and Mass has the highest number of colleges and universities in the USA, Ohio is second but the overall ratings of the Ohio schools does not equal those in the Bay State. (hopefully XU is an exception) Of course the people in New England have their winter which in part make's up for this advantage but only partially. On the other hand we have Cleveland and nothing can make up for that.

Robin, this list isn't really complete because there are unranked specialty schools in the area that I didn't list.

Babson - one of the best undergraduate business schools in the country.
Olin College of Engineering - new on the scene in the last 20 years but already considered elite.
Berkelee College of Music - one of the best

It's a shame when fine schools like Worcester Tech, Bentley, Emerson, Simmons, Stonehill, Wheaton,, and New England Conservatory have a tough time getting recognition because of so many other elite schools in the area.
Bill Marsh

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board