Boston College

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Boston College

Postby TheBall » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:26 am

The thing is, you knew this move was a disaster from the start. And they didn't do too well in their early years, at least after the big east guys like dudley and smith left.

It is commonly referred to as the "cash grab gone bad".

The only worse fit for a conference that I can think of is rutgers in the big ten. That should be a complete disaster.

I will say, adding syracuse, nd and eventually uconn to the acc will help bc. But we are looking at over a decade of failure before they start to even look competitive.

Also, when bc left the big east they were the losingest team in conference history (their departure gave seton hall the title).
TheBall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:33 am

And despite the fact that having UConn in the ACC would be the best thing that could happen to BC, they will fight tooth and nail to keep them out. :lol: :roll:
Bill Marsh

Postby redmen9194 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:16 pm

Pitt might wind up worse than BC. Pitt became a notional power in its last decade in the Big East. When you thought of the Big East, you pictured a team like Pitt. Big, tough, football players on the basketball court who could shoot. They were greatly helped by going into MSG, Wells Fargo and Verizon and playing in front of the recruits they wanted and needed. Now, they are in trouble. They are in a southern league that caters to those schools. They have lost their rivalry games with Villanova and West Virginia, they are gone from New York (They are not even mentioned at all in NYC papers) and are drifting into mediocrity. They might wind up worse than BC as hey have more to loose.
redmen9194

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:28 pm

gosports1 wrote:Although I wasnt happy about it, IMO BC had to take the spot in the ACC before someone else from the BE did. They didnt want to take the risk and end up it a situation that UConn currently finds itself in. Its a shame that the old BE FB schools couldnt keep it together and stay an eastern FB league (even without the so called C7)

I am sorry, but there is no way BC would have ended up in a situation like UConn. BC has a MUCH....MUCH stronger football tradition than UConn, not that that says much, but it's true. Football is what is driving the bus. If BC didn't end up in the ACC at the same time Louisville and Syracuse did, another league would have come along. Look at F'ing Rutgers for crying out loud. They are EMBARRASSING and they still get picked up by the Big 10.

Trust me, I am the last person on Earth to sympathize with BC, but they would have not ended up in the AAC.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:32 pm

redmen9194 wrote:Pitt might wind up worse than BC. Pitt became a notional power in its last decade in the Big East. When you thought of the Big East, you pictured a team like Pitt. Big, tough, football players on the basketball court who could shoot. They were greatly helped by going into MSG, Wells Fargo and Verizon and playing in front of the recruits they wanted and needed. Now, they are in trouble. They are in a southern league that caters to those schools. They have lost their rivalry games with Villanova and West Virginia, they are gone from New York (They are not even mentioned at all in NYC papers) and are drifting into mediocrity. They might wind up worse than BC as hey have more to loose.

You wonder if Dixon may do kind of like Buzz and do a surprise move as a result, which would just make the situation that much worse for Pitt...

The school that I'm surprised/wish would make a real commitment is Duquesne. They would be such a good fit in the conference and would make the situation for Pitt that much worse even.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Frankly the BC decision was an ACC mistake. While it's true that BC has a long football tradition, they are not a big factor in the Boston market. In contrast, UConn owns the Connecticut market, which is about the same size as the Boston market. UConn may not have much of a football program right now, but when they do, every TV in the state will be tuned into UConn football games just as they are to UConn basketball games right now. They have a much bigger up side than BC.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:33 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:
gosports1 wrote:Although I wasnt happy about it, IMO BC had to take the spot in the ACC before someone else from the BE did. They didnt want to take the risk and end up it a situation that UConn currently finds itself in. Its a shame that the old BE FB schools couldnt keep it together and stay an eastern FB league (even without the so called C7)

I am sorry, but there is no way BC would have ended up in a situation like UConn. BC has a MUCH....MUCH stronger football tradition than UConn, not that that says much, but it's true. Football is what is driving the bus. If BC didn't end up in the ACC at the same time Louisville and Syracuse did, another league would have come along. Look at F'ing Rutgers for crying out loud. They are EMBARRASSING and they still get picked up by the Big 10.

Trust me, I am the last person on Earth to sympathize with BC, but they would have not ended up in the AAC.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. If BC was not in the ACC, and same situation as a year ago- I don't think they get added to the Big Ten, and similarly to UConn, they don't get added to the Big 12 due to geography. So at that point, what option would BC have? It really was ACC or nothing for BC.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:43 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote: If BC didn't end up in the ACC at the same time Louisville and Syracuse did, another league would have come along.

BC didn't end up in the ACC at the same time as Louisville and Syrqcuse. They landed there almost 10 years earlier.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote: If BC didn't end up in the ACC at the same time Louisville and Syracuse did, another league would have come along.

BC didn't end up in the ACC at the same time as Louisville and Syrqcuse. They landed there almost 10 years earlier.

I think he's saying if BC had remained in the Big East- then didn't end up in the ACC same time as Louisville and Syracuse then- that another league would have come along.

Of course 1 thing about that statement- and this opens up a whole another can of worms.... What if the ACC had taken Syracuse instead of BC in 2004.... I'm not so sure the Big East would have survived back then.
stever20

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Bill, not for nothing but I am well aware of when BC (FREDO) left the Big East. What I meant was if they didn't leave when they initially did in 2005, they would have left when Syracuse and Louisville did. It was inevitable. And again, no way BC would have ended up like UConn. BC has a lot to offer including the Boston market.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board