Boston College

The home for Big East hoops

Boston College

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:38 am

Has any school fared worse in the post-realignment world of college sports than BC? They are currently dead last (1-9) in the ACC, they haven't won an NCAA tournament game since 2007, haven't been to the tournament at all in the past 6 years, have had a losing record overall in 5 of the past 6 seasons, and in that same period their football team has had an overall losing record.

They did well in their early years in the ACC, but it's been nothing but decline for the past 6-8 years. Contrast this with their success in the Big East. In their last decade in the Big East, they won or tied for the regular season title 4 times and won the conference tournament twice. Here are their records over the past 6 years:

2015 - 9-13
2014 - 8-24
2013 - 16-17
2012 - 9-22
2011 - 21-14
2010 - 15-16

Yeah, I know it's all about the money and BC is rolling in it. But they've also lost all their natural rivals, they're never in NY/NJ where most of their alumni are and where lots of their recruits came from, attendance has been in decline for years, and both of their major programs have become perennial losers in the ACC. Is this really what they had in mind when they made the move?
Bill Marsh

Boston College

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Boston College

Postby Noonzy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:46 am

I think they are hocky school #1, football #2 and BB #3 at best.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby BillikenFriar » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:56 am

Everything said was true EXCEPT the bit about Enrollments. They have limited Enrollments purposefully to drive up their exclusivity numbers. BC is is superb shape on the academic side.
BillikenFriar

Postby robinreed » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:11 am

BC does have one of the top attendance figures in Hockey. However they have attracted only 5,800 plus per game this year. Anyone who remembers the old BC knows they would regularly fill their football stadium at 38,000 per game. Those days are gone forever. I would think they would value football and basketball much more than hockey as it brings in more money and gives them better PR.

As to academics I would say that Boston University and even Holy Cross are superior in eastern mass., not to mention Harvard. However having graduated from a school run by Jesuits I know they run a strong scholastic ship.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php
robinreed

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:22 am

robinreed wrote:BC does have one of the top attendance figures in Hockey. However they have attracted only 5,800 plus per game this year. Anyone who remembers the old BC knows they would regularly fill their football stadium at 38,000 per game. Those days are gone forever. I would think they would value football and basketball much more than hockey as it brings in more money and gives them better PR.

As to academics I would say that Boston University and even Holy Cross are superior in eastern mass., not to mention Harvard. However having graduated from a school run by Jesuits I know they run a strong scholastic ship.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/almanac/attendance.php

FWIW, US News Academic Rankings of Colleges & Universities in Eastern Massachusetts (# = national rank)

2. Harvard
4. Wellesley (national liberal arts colleges)
7. MIT
27. Tufts
31. Boston College
34. Holy Cross (national liberal arts colleges)
35. Brandeis
42. BU
42. Northeastern
Bill Marsh

Postby EMT » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:41 am

BC dumped Al Skinner in the hopes of doing better.....

Funny how things worked out..
EMT

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:30 am

Is there anything the ACC touches that doesn't turn to sh*t?
Seriously, looking at each school they've added since 2004, is there even 1 success story?
Each school has gotten worse in football and basketball.

Miami and Va Tech were perennial powers in football, but they've been dragged down to the ACC's sorry level.
Syracuse hoops is having its worst year since 1982, and is under investigation.
Pitt is having its worst year since 2001.

At the same time, is there any school that's joined the Big East, ever, that didn't get stronger?
Really just Rutgers. DePaul looks to be regaining their mojo.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MackNova » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Rutgers had mojo?
MackNova

Postby gosports1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:46 pm

Although I wasnt happy about it, IMO BC had to take the spot in the ACC before someone else from the BE did. They didnt want to take the risk and end up it a situation that UConn currently finds itself in. Its a shame that the old BE FB schools couldnt keep it together and stay an eastern FB league (even without the so called C7)
gosports1

Postby robinreed » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:01 pm

billyjack wrote:Is there anything the ACC touches that doesn't turn to sh*t?
Seriously, looking at each school they've added since 2004, is there even 1 success story?
Each school has gotten worse in football and basketball.

Miami and Va Tech were perennial powers in football, but they've been dragged down to the ACC's sorry level.
Syracuse hoops is having its worst year since 1982, and is under investigation.
Pitt is having its worst year since 2001.

At the same time, is there any school that's joined the Big East, ever, that didn't get stronger?
Really just Rutgers. DePaul looks to be regaining their mojo.

I agree with your comment 1000%
robinreed

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board