Big East partnership with Nike

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Jet915 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:42 am

The Big East and Nike have signed a multi-year deal that will allow Nike with sponsorship rights to all Big East tournament events. Nice.

http://www.bigeast.com/genrel/020715aaa.html
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East partnership with Nike

Postby RDinNY » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:51 am

It's not clear from the article but I assume St. john's, which has a deal with Under Armour, will nit have to wear Nike gear.
RDinNY

Postby Edrick » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:36 pm

I have seen that addressed before by not making the individual teams change who they have contracts with but for things off the court (like press conferences) they cover up the other branding. (tape or whatever) or you simply don't wear branded stuff.

At the Final Four, they are crazy about it, all the way down to the type of water you drink.
Edrick

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:33 pm

What is the length and dollar value of this deal...any leaks regarding those 2
points?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Jet915 wrote:The Big East and Nike have signed a multi-year deal that will allow Nike with sponsorship rights to all Big East tournament events. Nice.

I'd rather we sign with Under Armour. As I just posted in another thread, our deal with Nike was horrible. You couldn't find any gear around and they didn't really do much for us. We should all sign with UA because they are actually hungry to do things with these schools unlike Nike who only cares about Oregon and the big name schools. Upstart league and upstart sports network pairs with upstart athletic gear company.
NJRedman

Postby JOPO » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:44 pm

NJRedman wrote:
Jet915 wrote:The Big East and Nike have signed a multi-year deal that will allow Nike with sponsorship rights to all Big East tournament events. Nice.

I'd rather we sign with Under Armour. As I just posted in another thread, our deal with Nike was horrible. You couldn't find any gear around and they didn't really do much for us. We should all sign with UA because they are actually hungry to do things with these schools unlike Nike who only cares about Oregon and the big name schools. Upstart league and upstart sports network pairs with upstart athletic gear company.

Agree as Seton Hall is an Under Armour school as well. They treat us well so far. This is our first year with them. Previously we were with Adidas who flat out sucked.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:17 pm

Adidas, UA, Nike, Reebok...

How much is the deal worth and what is the length of the deal?
If only 3-5 years can see what UA offers then.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby NJRedman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:44 pm

The swoosh doesn't care about our schools with the exception of GTown and maybe Nova. They used to but not anymore.

Imagine if Under Armour was producing Big East apparel like shirts and sweatshirts. I'd buy one.
NJRedman

Postby JOPO » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:04 pm

NJRedman wrote:The swoosh doesn't care about our schools with the exception of GTown and maybe Nova. They used to but not anymore.

Imagine if Under Armour was producing Big East apparel like shirts and sweatshirts. I'd buy one.

Exactly! Agree again!
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby RDinNY » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:14 pm

JOPO wrote:
NJRedman wrote:The swoosh doesn't care about our schools with the exception of GTown and maybe Nova. They used to but not anymore.

Exactly! Agree again!

I don't think any business wants to see their competition grab a foothold. While St. John's and Seton Hall were not a priority for Nike, I don't think they wanted us to sign with Under Armour. Obviously, UA grabbing Notre Dame is a bigger concern.
RDinNY

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board