Big East partnership with Nike

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East partnership with Nike

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:02 pm

NJRedman wrote:The swoosh doesn't care about our schools with the exception of GTown and maybe Nova. They used to but not anymore.

Imagine if Under Armour was producing Big East apparel like shirts and sweatshirts. I'd buy one.

Xavier has a good deal with Nike (that just got extended to all sports), so I'd say they care about us.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Xudash » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:52 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:The swoosh doesn't care about our schools with the exception of GTown and maybe Nova. They used to but not anymore.

Imagine if Under Armour was producing Big East apparel like shirts and sweatshirts. I'd buy one.

Xavier has a good deal with Nike (that just got extended to all sports), so I'd say they care about us.

Xavier has the highest level relationship with Nike possible for a program that has not won the championship. It's better than good and Nike does care. They just inked that contract a month or two ago.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby NJRedman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Xudash wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:

Xavier has the highest level relationship with Nike possible for a program that has not won the championship. It's better than good and Nike does care. They just inked that contract a month or two ago.

Maybe they signed that deal to get the conference on board? I know how badly others have been neglected by the swoosh. I don't want my Johnnies going back, I'd rather be with a company who actually wants us to look good and will put in the work to make our look authentic. If you notice all the Nike warm ups are the same just with each teams colors. Thats lazy to me. We have these navy blue SJU Batman warm up shirts and haven't seen anyone else wearing them. I'd like that commitment throughout the league and with league apparel as well but unfortunately the swoosh swooped in.
NJRedman

Postby Donnybrook » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:11 pm

I am no expert but Marquette seems to have a strong relationship with Nike. I was in Milwaukee a few weeks ago and visited the spirit shop and there was a very nice selection of Swoosh and Jordan gear. Nike is one of the most recognizable brands in the world. I love an under dog (like UA) as much as everyone else, but if we want the Big East to be a major player in college athletics, a partnership with Nike is great to have.

Also keep in mind outside of Beaverton Nike has satellite offices all across the US, two of the biggest are in Chicago and New York, extremely important cities for the Big East.

Take a walk down 34th street near MSG this weekend during the all star game festivities. Nike is everywhere with pop up shops and permanent stores. Go check out the LED basketball court they put up in Tribeca where they are inviting in local HS basketball teams to play all weekend (it's really, really cool). They are always making a huge statement. Nike is a company the Big East should be making close friends with.
Donnybrook

Postby NJRedman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:49 pm

Donnybrook wrote:I am no expert but Marquette seems to have a strong relationship with Nike. I was in Milwaukee a few weeks ago and visited the spirit shop and there was a very nice selection of Swoosh and Jordan gear. Nike is one of the most recognizable brands in the world. I love an under dog (like UA) as much as everyone else, but if we want the Big East to be a major player in college athletics, a partnership with Nike is great to have.

Also keep in mind outside of Beaverton Nike has satellite offices all across the US, two of the biggest are in Chicago and New York, extremely important cities for the Big East.

Take a walk down 34th street near MSG this weekend during the all star game festivities. Nike is everywhere with pop up shops and permanent stores. Go check out the LED basketball court they put up in Tribeca where they are inviting in local HS basketball teams to play all weekend (it's really, really cool). They are always making a huge statement. Nike is a company the Big East should be making close friends with.

What does what brand your associated with have to do with being a major player? Plenty of big name programs aren't with Nike.

Notre Dame, Louisville, Maryland, Auburn, South Carolina, BC, Navy, Utah, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC St., Indiana, Michigen, Wisconsin, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona St, Miss St., Texas A&M and Northwestern.

Those are the FB5 schools (and Navy) who aren't with the swoosh. Some of them are very big names (ND & UM) and they make up almost a 3rd of that exclusive club.
NJRedman

Postby Donnybrook » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:19 pm

I think you missed my point. I'm not trying to imply that you have to be associated with Nike to be considered a "major" player.

What I'm saying is that Nike is a powerhouse, and if we can build a strong relationship with them, it can be good for business. Nike tosses around marketing dollars like it's monopoly money. It's good to have rich friends in business. Just make sure they like you.

After what Nike did around NYC during the NBA all-star game, I'm very curious to see what happens now during the BET at the same venue. Time will tell. It absolutely won't be on the same level as the ASG, but I'd be surprised if we didn't see some good stuff come out of this.
Donnybrook

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board