2/9 ESPN Bracketology

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2/9 ESPN Bracketology

Postby FormulaX » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:41 pm

mel ott wrote:and too bad- no Big East teams in Omaha. We would love to get one here- nice home court advantage!

Hey, great point. A BE team would get huge support there, wouldn't they?

As far as Nova in Pittsburgh, it's moot. Nova would beat Oh. St. in Columbus!
FormulaX

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:25 pm

FormulaX wrote:
mel ott wrote:and too bad- no Big East teams in Omaha. We would love to get one here- nice home court advantage!

Hey, great point. A BE team would get huge support there, wouldn't they?

As far as Nova in Pittsburgh, it's moot. Nova would beat Oh. St. in Columbus!

Could easily be the case, but I don't think it's something the NCAA tourney would do. Nova would probably get Indiana instead(just switch those 2). Just looking on Lunardi's bracket math, one is 25 the other is 26.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:32 pm

The B1G is sending 7 teams? I thought they were awful this year?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:37 pm

DudeAnon wrote:The B1G is sending 7 teams? I thought they were awful this year?

Part of it is they have 8 teams going to be 10-8 or better. I still think 6 right now- Illinois seems a bit low to me- but they are close- and have a favorable schedule to get in. Purdue really hurt themselves yesterday with the loss to Minnesota.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:51 pm

DudeAnon wrote:The B1G is sending 7 teams? I thought they were awful this year?

Not awful. They're the 4th best conference. If we were 4th best, we'd think we were doing pretty well. And with 14 members, that's still only half the conference. That's like us getting 5.

Having said that, I doubt that they'll get 7. Lunardi has Illinois in a play-in game, showing that they're a bubble team. I'm guessing that by selection Sunday, they'll fall on the wrong side of the bubble.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:03 pm

So updated for today.....
MW
Xavier 9 in Louisville vs 8 Iowa, then vs 1 Kentucky
Georgetown 6 in Columbus vs 11 LSU, then vs 3 Notre Dame
S
Butler 5 in Louisville vs 12 Temple, then vs 4 Oklahoma (then vs 1 Duke)
E
St John's 12/PIG vs Old Dominion, then vs 5 Maryland in Pittsburgh, then vs 4 Iowa St(then vs 1 Virginia)
Nova 2 in Pittsburgh vs 15 Albany, then vs 7 West Virginia(then vs 3 Louisville)
W
Providence 6 in Jacksonville vs 11 Tulsa, then vs 3 North Carolina(then vs 2 Arizona)

Seton Hall 4th team left out. St John's 3rd to last team in.

I don't think the committee would send WVU to play Nova in Pittsburgh. Everything else seems pretty reasonable I'd say.
stever20

Postby milksteak » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:02 pm

stever20 wrote:So updated for today.....
MW
S
E
St John's 12/PIG vs Old Dominion, then vs 5 Maryland in Pittsburgh, then vs 4 Iowa St(then vs 1 Virginia)
Nova 2 in Pittsburgh vs 15 Albany, then vs 7 West Virginia(then vs 3 Louisville)
W
Providence 6 in Jacksonville vs 11 Tulsa, then vs 3 North Carolina(then vs 2 Arizona)

I don't think the committee would send WVU to play Nova in Pittsburgh. Everything else seems pretty reasonable I'd say.

Spectacular draws geographically for all teams. Georgetown, if anyone, is probably getting screwed the most.

I've made the trek across Pennsylvania from Washington to Philly. It's a lot longer than you think. Still, always good to play in-state.

Johnnies draw is very meh, but I think they'd be too thrilled to be in the field and wouldn't care.

There's no way Providence will be with UNC in Jacksonville. The NCAA won't send UNC that far from Chappel Hill, especially as a three seed. Still, at least Jacksonville be warm.

Xavier and Butler are particularly blessed in this version. Both are very close to Louisville. You can get to Louisville from both Cincinnati and Indianapolis in under two hours.
Last edited by milksteak on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby milksteak » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:02 pm

milksteak wrote:
stever20 wrote:So updated for today.....
MW
S
E
W

Spectacular draws geographically for all teams. No one is getting sent to the West. Georgetown, if anyone, is probably getting screwed the most.

I've made the trek across Pennsylvania from Washington to Philly. It's a lot longer than you think. Still, always good to play in-state.

Johnnies draw is very meh, but I think they'd be too thrilled to be in the field and wouldn't care.

There's no way Providence will be with UNC in Jacksonville. The NCAA won't send UNC that far from Chappel Hill, especially as a three seed.

Xavier and Butler are particularly blessed in this version. Both are very close to Louisville. You can get to Louisville from both Cincinnati and Indianapolis in under two hours.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:33 pm

the thing that will be interesting though looking at the 8 pods-
Louisville
Jacksonville
Columbus
Omaha
Charlotte
Portland
Pittsburgh
Seattle

top seeds-
Kentucky easy send to Louisville
Virginia
Gonzaga easy send to Seattle
Duke easy send to Charlotte
2 seeds
Kansas easy send to Omaha
Villanova easy send to Pittsburgh
Arizona closest to Portland
Wisconsin closest to Omaha

So right there with the top 2 seeds done- Omaha is gone, and Louisville, Seattle, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Portland has 1 team each. Jacksonville, Columbus with no teams yet. The question for me is what is closest for Virginia. Pittsburgh or Charlotte. They would take priority over UNC.

Also, if you are a fan of PC- you would WANT it to be Jacksonville and not Charlotte to play UNC.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board