Seton Hall

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Seton Hall

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:21 pm

This reminds me of the situation at Providence in 1988 after Pitino left for the Knocks, following the Friars' Final Four run. Assistant Gordie Chiesa took over the team and dissension quickly developed. Marty Conlon, a good kid like Sina, quit the team around this same time of year, but it was Conlon who was back the next year and Chiesa was the one who was gone. Same thing could happen here.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi Bill M,
Boy, '88 was a tough year. With PC, all the players hated the coach, but the players got along. With Seton Hall, you have teammates sparring.

With Seton Hall here, I can't see them turning things around while the fighting is still going on. So either player, or both, probably should be suspended for the year. I think the team can win going forward if the distractions are gone. The talent is still there, even without Gibbs, IW and Sina. Not sure who would run the point... Carrington...? Or call Sina back...? But for the good of the program, the fighting has to be removed... no one or two players is more important than the program.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:59 pm

billyjack wrote:Hi Bill M,
Boy, '88 was a tough year. With PC, all the players hated the coach, but the players got along. With Seton Hall, you have teammates sparring.

With Seton Hall here, I can't see them turning things around while the fighting is still going on. So either player, or both, probably should be suspended for the year. I think the team can win going forward if the distractions are gone. The talent is still there, even without Gibbs, IW and Sina. Not sure who would run the point... Carrington...? Or call Sina back...? But for the good of the program, the fighting has to be removed... no one or two players is more important than the program.

Good points. The more I thought about it, I realized there were significant differences between this situation and the Friars '88. In that situation, the players hated the coach, in this one they hate each other.
Bill Marsh

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board