Seton Hall

The home for Big East hoops

Seton Hall

Postby TheBall » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:07 pm

Looks like Willard has lost that team.

Brandon mobley and Isaiah whitehead with some pretty poor public comments after another loss.

“There’s no will. Nobody cares about winning, sadly,” senior Brandon Mobley said. ”When we’re losing, when things go south, we get to pointing fingers and things like that and that’s not what good teams do. That’s what teams that lose do, and that’s what’s happening right now."

Whitehead responded via twitter saying this is no longer a team of brothers, strictly business partners.

Such a shame to see the johnnies and pirates fall part after they put themselves in very good position entering conference play.

Looks like the big east is a five bid league. Big win for the x-men today!
TheBall

Seton Hall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Seton Hall

Postby RedStormHoops » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:08 am

It's funny I was under the impression there were 8 games left
RedStormHoops

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:20 am

RedStormHoops wrote:It's funny I was under the impression there were 8 games left

There is, but with what some schools have left, tough to see them doing anything. Seton Hall looks absolutely done now.

St John's has a chance- but they pretty much must win all these games- DePaul, Seton Hall, Xavier, Georgetown, and @ Marquette. If they lose one of those, they then have to win one of these- @ Xavier, @ Georgetown, or @ Nova.
stever20

Postby shupirate98 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:25 am

Willard has lost every team he's had since he's been here. Every season ends in a collapse. Every single one. Sometimes, like last year, we go from mediocrity to awfulness. Sometimes, like this year, we go from excellence to mediocrity. Without fail, we fall apart midway through every season. The players have no respect for the coach. Never have, never will.

And Whitehead is turning into Eddie Griffin part 2. All that's missing now are the fisticuffs.
shupirate98

Postby TheBall » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:20 pm

A month go seton hall looked awesome. Can't believe how quickly they have fallen apart.

5-6 right now, probably need to go 5-2 down the stretch. Their May be. Month left, but I don't see it.

That would mean they have to win all three games games (hoyas, jays and friars) and then go 2-2 on the road (friars, hoyas, nova and johnnies).

5 of their remaining 7 games are against teams that are likely to make the dance. Can you see them going 3-2 in those games and winning at msg and also beating Creighton?

As far as St John's goes, they have to finish at least 5-3 to even get back on the bubble (might need to go 6-2). Their path is actually more realistic as they can hold home court (jays, demons, Muskies, pirates and hoyas) and if they still one of the road games (Marquette the most likely win, but also have Xavier, nova and the hoyas) then they are in alright shape.
TheBall

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:38 pm

shupirate98 wrote:Willard has lost every team he's had since he's been here. Every season ends in a collapse. Every single one. Sometimes, like last year, we go from mediocrity to awfulness. Sometimes, like this year, we go from excellence to mediocrity. Without fail, we fall apart midway through every season. The players have no respect for the coach. Never have, never will.

And Whitehead is turning into Eddie Griffin part 2. All that's missing now are the fisticuffs.

Didn't last year's team win 3 of the last 4 - including the huge win over Villanova - before being eliminated in the tournament by eventual champion, Providence?
Bill Marsh

Postby shupirate98 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
shupirate98 wrote:Willard has lost every team he's had since he's been here. Every season ends in a collapse. Every single one. Sometimes, like last year, we go from mediocrity to awfulness. Sometimes, like this year, we go from excellence to mediocrity. Without fail, we fall apart midway through every season. The players have no respect for the coach. Never have, never will.

Didn't last year's team win 3 of the last 4 - including the huge win over Villanova - before being eliminated in the tournament by eventual champion, Providence?

Yeah, after tanking the whole season by going 4-11 before that and showing so little interest in the season, and so little respect for the coach, that pretty much every player on the roster was suspended at one point or another.
shupirate98

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:11 pm

shupirate98 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Yeah, after tanking the whole season by going 4-11 before that and showing so little interest in the season, and so little respect for the coach, that pretty much every player on the roster was suspended at one point or another.

Not trying to be argumentative and I recognize that you know the team a lot better than I do, but leading up to that mini-run, Seton Hall had 5 games in which they beat Georgetown, lost 2 games by 1 point, and lost 2 others by 5 points.

Overall those 11 losses included the following margins of victory for the opponents:

1 point - Creighton, Marquette, St. John's (twice)
5 points - Providence, DePaul
6 points - Villanova
7 points - Butler

Only 3 of those losses were in double digits and 2 of those were to nationally ranked Villanova and Creighton. The were no 20-30 point blow outs in those 11 losses.

The point is that they were competitive in almost every game in the last 20 games of the season despite going 4-11 at one point. They battled the 2 best teams in the conference to a 1-point loss vs Creighton and a 6-point loss vs Villanova before eventually beating ?Villanova in the conference tournament. They lost the lost game of the season by just 6 points to eventual tournament champion Providence.

As I sad, you know that team better than I, but it's hard for me to see how a coach lost his team when he kept them competitive right the ought he end of the season despite going 4-11.

I liked last year's Butler team that got off to a great start to the season OOC. But after they started the conference season 0-5 with 3 losses in O/T, they just didn't seem like the same team. The losses piled up and the margin of victory for their opponents kept getting bigger, peaking with a 25 point blow out at the hands of St. John's. To me they just looked beaten when they came out on the court to start a game. It's hard for a team not to get discouraged in the face of all those losses and hard for a coach to keep the team focused on winning,

I never saw that same "hang dog" look from the Seton Hall players. I think the record speaks for itself. Instead of getting discouraged and giving up, they continued to fight, culminating in the win over Villanova.

You may well be right about Willard losing the team last year, but something positive was going on with that group to keep them in so many close games even against top teams and to eventually eke out some nice wins.
Bill Marsh

Postby Jet915 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Guys like Gibbs need to show some leadership. Seton Hall is just falling apart...I don't think we'll get 7 anymore but 6 is still possible but SJU or Seton Hall need to step up.
Jet915

Postby RedStormHoops » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:48 pm

stever20 wrote:
RedStormHoops wrote:It's funny I was under the impression there were 8 games left

There is, but with what some schools have left, tough to see them doing anything. Seton Hall looks absolutely done now.

St John's has a chance- but they pretty much must win all these games- DePaul, Seton Hall, Xavier, Georgetown, and @ Marquette. If they lose one of those, they then have to win one of these- @ Xavier, @ Georgetown, or @ Nova.

I think you're wrong. Joe Lunardi already has St. John's firmly on the bubble, in the first four out, and will probably move them back in in his update tomorrow morning because of purdues bad loss to Minnesota and St. John's win against Creighton.

And I respect his opinion more than random guy from holy land of hoops.com
RedStormHoops

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board