Breaking News on rules

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Breaking News on rules

Postby robinreed » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:56 pm

NJRedman wrote:
robinreed wrote:I would like to see the shot clock abolished except for the last 5 minutes of the second half. Great coaches in the past were able to win games and national championships with less than superior players by controlling the pace of the game in this way. Of course there are some who expect the college game to be the NBA2. I would prefer a more structured, disciplined and deliberate game. However I know the TV networks would not go along with it.

You're anti-shot clock? You prefer a team hold the ball for 5 full minutes featuring 57 passes then a lay up? Yeah, exciting basketball! hahaha I can't wait for those 24-22 thrillers! Maybe we can do away with that pesky 3 point line too while we're at it!

Doing away with the 3 point line would create a more disciplined and systematic game. Since the advent of 3 point shots the big men have become less important in the game and the overall shooting percentage has gone down due to players heaving the ball up from anywhere. There was a very famous saying in bb which Hank Iba, Ed Jucker, Dean Smith and Al Mcguire all used at one time or another. It was "you can't live from 20 feet". Today the average player is happy with a 35% shooting game. Give me the 4 corners offense of Dean Smith and the other great coaches of the past any day of the week. Deliberate and systematic beats frenetic, hurried and confused in my book.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:21 pm

Interesting idea just crossed my mind. What if coaches could only use 1 timeout every 5 minutes. Would cut down teams have 4 timeouts saved up for the last minute.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:42 am

robinreed wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
robinreed wrote:I would like to see the shot clock abolished except for the last 5 minutes of the second half. Great coaches in the past were able to win games and national championships with less than superior players by controlling the pace of the game in this way. Of course there are some who expect the college game to be the NBA2. I would prefer a more structured, disciplined and deliberate game. However I know the TV networks would not go along with it.

You're anti-shot clock? You prefer a team hold the ball for 5 full minutes featuring 57 passes then a lay up? Yeah, exciting basketball! hahaha I can't wait for those 24-22 thrillers! Maybe we can do away with that pesky 3 point line too while we're at it!

Doing away with the 3 point line would create a more disciplined and systematic game. Since the advent of 3 point shots the big men have become less important in the game and the overall shooting percentage has gone down due to players heaving the ball up from anywhere. There was a very famous saying in bb which Hank Iba, Ed Jucker, Dean Smith and Al Mcguire all used at one time or another. It was "you can't live from 20 feet". Today the average player is happy with a 35% shooting game. Give me the 4 corners offense of Dean Smith and the other great coaches of the past any day of the week. Deliberate and systematic beats frenetic, hurried and confused in my book.

No shot clock and no 3 pointers. Yeah, sign me up for that! What else do you have up your sleeves? Players can only wear converse chuck taylors? hahaha
NJRedman

Postby robinreed » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:44 pm

You're anti-shot clock? You prefer a team hold the ball for 5 full minutes featuring 57 passes then a lay up? Yeah, exciting basketball! hahaha I can't wait for those 24-22 thrillers! Maybe we can do away with that pesky 3 point line too while we're at it![/quote]

Doing away with the 3 point line would create a more disciplined and systematic game. Since the advent of 3 point shots the big men have become less important in the game and the overall shooting percentage has gone down due to players heaving the ball up from anywhere. There was a very famous saying in bb which Hank Iba, Ed Jucker, Dean Smith and Al Mcguire all used at one time or another. It was "you can't live from 20 feet". Today the average player is happy with a 35% shooting game. Give me the 4 corners offense of Dean Smith and the other great coaches of the past any day of the week. Deliberate and systematic beats frenetic, hurried and confused in my book.[/quote]

No shot clock and no 3 pointers. Yeah, sign me up for that! What else do you have up your sleeves? Players can only wear converse chuck taylors? hahaha[/quote]

One would hope for a more elegant response than hahaha !
robinreed

Postby butlerway » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:58 am

Hate lowering the shot clock. I would probably like it the final 2 minutes of the game when teams are just holding the ball, but I won't the other 38 minutes. It's going to hurt offensive efficiency. I don't enjoy watching teams going one on one and jacking up a forced shot to beat the shot clock. The percentage of time that happens will naturally go up with a shorter clock.
butlerway

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:07 am

butlerway wrote:Hate lowering the shot clock. I would probably like it the final 2 minutes of the game when teams are just holding the ball, but I won't the other 38 minutes. It's going to hurt offensive efficiency. I don't enjoy watching teams going one on one and jacking up a forced shot to beat the shot clock. The percentage of time that happens will naturally go up with a shorter clock.

I don't know how much of an impact that would have...

right now looking at ken pom- the team with the longest average time is American U with 22 seconds. On the flip side is BYU- avg time of 14 seconds.
stever20

Postby ivet » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:25 am

I would like to see 2 extra minutes added to each half and also an obvious "Flop" rule where it counts as a flagrant (unsportsmanlike) foul.
ivet

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:28 am

ivet wrote:I would like to see 2 extra minutes added to each half and also an obvious "Flop" rule where it counts as a flagrant (unsportsmanlike) foul.

I think a flop like what we saw a few weeks ago from that St John's guy- should be an automatic T.
stever20

Postby Doge McDermott » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 am

What if half court shots were worth 4 points? And inside the opposing 3pt arc worth 5? It would certainly make for some more dramatic shots, and change a lot of the late game calculus.

/s
Doge McDermott

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board