Breaking News on rules

The home for Big East hoops

Breaking News on rules

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:39 pm

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men ... -30-second

2015 Postseason NIT will compete using experimental rules, including a 30-second shot clock and a four-foot restricted-area arc. The rules will be in effect for all 31 games of the tournament.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Breaking News on rules

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Breaking News on rules

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:50 pm

interesting. Hopefully none of our teams will be part of this test :)
stever20

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:45 pm

what is going to stink is if these new rules are really good and immediately noticeable, it will make then watching the NCAA tourney with the old rules seem boring if you know what I mean.

I think also one rule that had been mentioned was timeouts. Where if a team say calls a timeout within 30 seconds of a tv timeout, that's the TV timeout. That should help the pace of play a lot.
stever20

Postby CPJays » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Yes please 30 second shot clock.
CPJays

Postby MUPanther » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:15 pm

stever20 wrote:

I think also one rule that had been mentioned was timeouts. Where if a team say calls a timeout within 30 seconds of a tv timeout, that's the TV timeout. That should help the pace of play a lot.

Any team in the 2nd half that calls the first 30 second timeout of that half is moved to a full timeout.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby robinreed » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:01 pm

I would like to see the shot clock abolished except for the last 5 minutes of the second half. Great coaches in the past were able to win games and national championships with less than superior players by controlling the pace of the game in this way. Of course there are some who expect the college game to be the NBA2. I would prefer a more structured, disciplined and deliberate game. However I know the TV networks would not go along with it.
robinreed

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:35 pm

I think it should be against the rules to wear the ugly sweater Buzz wore tonight against Georgia Tech.
stever20

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:08 pm

robinreed wrote:I would like to see the shot clock abolished except for the last 5 minutes of the second half. Great coaches in the past were able to win games and national championships with less than superior players by controlling the pace of the game in this way. Of course there are some who expect the college game to be the NBA2. I would prefer a more structured, disciplined and deliberate game. However I know the TV networks would not go along with it.

You're anti-shot clock? You prefer a team hold the ball for 5 full minutes featuring 57 passes then a lay up? Yeah, exciting basketball! hahaha I can't wait for those 24-22 thrillers! Maybe we can do away with that pesky 3 point line too while we're at it!
NJRedman

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Bring shot clock down to 30 seconds (at least) and take away some timeouts. Right now there are a possible 14 timeouts (5 each coach and 4 media timeouts) each half. And that is before video reviews. Maybe they could institute a challenge system similar to the NFL. So 4 timeouts with 2 of those being challenge capable. I hate how every close game now takes an extra 20 minutes because we have to review every single play (shot clock off a 1/10th of a second etc.) Just let the refs call the game.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:38 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Bring shot clock down to 30 seconds (at least) and take away some timeouts. Right now there are a possible 14 timeouts (5 each coach and 4 media timeouts) each half. And that is before video reviews. Maybe they could institute a challenge system similar to the NFL. So 4 timeouts with 2 of those being challenge capable. I hate how every close game now takes an extra 20 minutes because we have to review every single play (shot clock off a 1/10th of a second etc.) Just let the refs call the game.

I think the rule that they're going to be testing where if a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout it becomes the media timeout is huge. That's going to help out a lot. Just don't see them getting rid of a coaches timeout.
stever20

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board