Wed 2/4/2014 Games - 3 Games

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Wed 2/4/2014 Games - 3 Games

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:06 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Carlino looked COMPLETELY out of it after that happened. Maybe he should wait until the concussion is done with before speaking. Also, the kid is young and is going to try and tough it out. He is going to tell the coaches he is OK regardless of how he is really feeling. The fact they let him play again after that is ridiculous. Watch the replay, look at his eyes, that kid didn't know what planet he was on after that play.

In regards to it being a dirty play, it just wasn't. Arch isn't that type of player and it happened FAST. What was Arch supposed to do? Put a pillow on the floor for the kid to land on?

I am happy Carlino is OK, I was really concerned for him last night. The REAL concern is how the Marquette coaches let him play again after that fall though. Again, kid was completely out of it.

Wow, I flipped and saw the hit- and saw his reaction after the hit when he came up before going back face down. He played again? Wow, that's equally as bad as what happened in Michigan football quite frankly last fall. Inexcusable in 2015 to have let him come back and play.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
billyjack wrote:Seton Hall, Xavier, and even St John's are in much better shape that many here think. I think because each of them lost this week, our perception is that they're in bad shape. With as many bumps as SJU for example has hit, their RPI is still in the 40's, and XU and SHU are in the 30's-40's.

A week ago, there were several non-BE teams that were getting attention, but also hit bumps, and have nose-dived... Davidson, Miami, NC State, St Mary's, Washington, Kansas State... these guys and others are on thin ice. And what teams have replaced them...? UMass, Richmond, Illinois...? A bunch of teams that will also certainly collapse. Tulsa and Temple are 2 others that a week from now could follow Davidson out of the picture.

The key is that you can't say "St John's lost at Butler, so now they're toast"... because someone has to replace their spot... who...? Each of their fellow bubble teams has worse warts, but lack SJU's positives.

Exactly. What other teams are doing matters. Here's the latest from RPI Forecast:

BIG EAST

8. Villanova
19. Butler
22. Georgetown
25. Providence
36. Xavier
42. Seton Hall
61. St. John's
134. Marquette
143. DePaul
147. Creighton

As for the bubble, there are 16 teams in the top RPI Forecast top 50. With 36 at-large bids up for grabs, that means that they will be going as deep as #52 for those 36 bids, barring lower ranked teams winning conference tournaments and stealing bids (which will probably happen in a few cases). So here's what the bubble looks like:

Last 8 In:

52. Florida
51. Texas A&M
49. Iowa
47. Davidson
46. Temple
45. LSU
44. BYU
42. Seton Hall

First 8 Out:

53. Boise State
54. Richmond
56. St. Mary's
57. GW
59. UCLA
61. St. John's
62. NC State
63. Miami

So by this measure, Seton Hall projects to be in and is barely considered a bubble team. At the other end, St. John's is out but is still a bubble team - barely.

Bottom line is that for all the struggles our teams are having, there are others in worse shape as you quite accurately point out, Billy Jack.

Here is the latest Big East RPI:

6. Villanova
17. Butler
20. Providence
24. Georgetown
37. Xavier
41. Seton Hall
45. St. John's
123. Creighton
126. DePaul
142. Marquette
Red Rooster

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:01 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Carlino looked COMPLETELY out of it after that happened. Maybe he should wait until the concussion is done with before speaking. Also, the kid is young and is going to try and tough it out. He is going to tell the coaches he is OK regardless of how he is really feeling. The fact they let him play again after that is ridiculous. Watch the replay, look at his eyes, that kid didn't know what planet he was on after that play.

In regards to it being a dirty play, it just wasn't. Arch isn't that type of player and it happened FAST. What was Arch supposed to do? Put a pillow on the floor for the kid to land on?

I am happy Carlino is OK, I was really concerned for him last night. The REAL concern is how the Marquette coaches let him play again after that fall though. Again, kid was completely out of it.

PS - Marquette Fans, nothing but love for you, but Carlino is out with a concussion. I mean, could your coaches deserve anymore of a kick in the ass? You don't have to be a doctor to see that one coming.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board