Tue Feb 3rd (2 Games) - SJU v Butler, Seton v DePaul...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Tue Feb 3rd (2 Games) - SJU v Butler, Seton v DePaul...

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Hey Butler, you guys got T'd up last night too! Quit clutching your pearls. You think what Obekpa did was bad just be glad you weren't around in the 80's. You guys would be aghast at the sight of elbows and punches being thrown. It was so physical that the conference allowed for 6 penalties per game per player. Now go back to calling our players "thugs" and enjoying your wins this year.

Keep it classy Indiana! (The south of the mid-west)
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Professor_Bulldog wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Butler on the other hand seems to be insecure. I remember reading some of their stuff on the pre-game thread for Xavier. There were some who were hoping that Trevon Bluiett would get a concussion during the game because he committed to X instead of Butler.

Perfect word to describe a lot of people on that board.

Worth noting that the message board crowd generally tends to be a bit more off kilter than the "normal" fans :D

Hahaha I think we all fit into this category.

BTW guys, this is how rivalries start. I look forward to battling you guys every year. It's like the Knicks/Pacers of the 90's all over again.
NJRedman

Postby Edrick » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:58 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Butler on the other hand seems to be insecure. I remember reading some of their stuff on the pre-game thread for Xavier. There were some who were hoping that Trevon Bluiett would get a concussion during the game because he committed to X instead of Butler.

Butler fans are the worst. They are. Many just are so focused on Butler, they have no grasp on what it is in relation to everyone else. There's actually a term for it "the Butler Bubble". But, that doesn't make them wrong in this case. It would be hard to embarrass yourself or your university more than St Johns did last night. That was just atrocious however you look at it.
Edrick

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Edrick wrote:

Butler fans are the worst. They are. Many just are so focused on Butler, they have no grasp on what it is in relation to everyone else. There's actually a term for it "the Butler Bubble". But, that doesn't make them wrong in this case. It would be hard to embarrass yourself or your university more than St Johns did last night. That was just atrocious however you look at it.

It was an elbow, he didn't stab him for crying out loud. I don't know how that is some great embarrassment to the school. The other Tech was for arguing with the refs. No biggie there, that stuff happens. Once again, not an embarrassment to the school. Is Butlers T an embarrassment to that school?

How about giving those Johnnies some credit for having the heart to fight their way back into the game? They were down 20 and brought it within 8.

Unbunch your panties everyone, it wasn't that big of a deal. Should he have been ejected? Sure. Was it an embarrassment to the school? Not even close. The pearl clutching going on here is the real embarrassment. Last I checked this was the Big East. If you don't like physical play then go play in another conference.

Go back to the 80's and watch all the fights that happened every night. An elbow was the least of your worries when Ewing is going after you.
NJRedman

Postby gmoser1210 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:20 pm

xavierfano8 wrote:If you don't want to read negative comments about your team stay off the opponent's message boards. It's pretty simple.

Something is wrong here. I actually agree with a Xavier fan. ;)
Butler Bulldogs
'62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '13, '15, '16, '17, '18
'33, '34, '47, '52, '53, '59, '61, 62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '02, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11
gmoser1210

Postby cu blujs » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Major city hoops is all about aggression, fast pace, in your face dunks, and grit.

So how's that "major city hoops" approach working out for you? ;)
cu blujs

Postby Xudash » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Professor_Bulldog wrote:

Perfect word to describe a lot of people on that board.

Worth noting that the message board crowd generally tends to be a bit more off kilter than the "normal" fans :D

Which may bring us back to the fairly sound point that that could be mentioned for all fan bases.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Irishdawg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:58 pm

To base your opinion of another team's fans on their message board site is a little goofy. I've seen fans of other team's boards say some pretty stupid stuff, and Butler's got their fair share of people that let their emotional ties to the team and school they root for get in the way of good sense sometimes. I do agree that the painting of a broad brush that has gone on is dumb. Obepka made the dirty play, he got tossed. The other technicals were an over reaction by the officials to try and keep things from getting out of control. Personally I thought the refs did a horrible job last night keeping things under wraps and it just seemed to get worse as the game went along.

What Obepka did was appalling to say the least, but I wouldn't call it an embarrassment to the school. His action, and subsequent comment afterwards were, IMO, an embarrassment to himself and maybe his team, but not the entire school. Butler fans also need to recognize that Etherington is a guy that plays with an edge all the time as well, and while I would hope he wouldn't cheap shot a guy, he's not an angel either.

The nice thing is that I think there are some rivalries that are starting to form. Butler-Marquette has been a tight game the last 5 times we've played, and last night's game will certainly amp things up in the future between the Bulldogs and the Johnnies.
Irishdawg

Postby XUFan09 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:09 pm

It doesn't show up in that clip, but the best part was the ref standing right there. He just put up his hands like, "Come on, seriously? Go inbound the ball."
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby FDS » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:41 pm

As far as players needing to understand that the Big East is tough and back in the 80's it was tougher... even then there were ways to engage someone and ways not to... Hell, even in the 60's, the Baltimore Bullets' Gus Johnson would look a guy in the eyes before punching him in the face. A cheap shot isn't about toughness at all. It is about weakness. This was Obekpa not being tough enough to deal with the physicality of a basketball game and acting like a mentally and emotionally weak individual. I don't care what league you play in, players are never going to "get used to" cheap shots from behind. If we really wanted to talk about toughness, I would love to see what would happen if Obekpa ever went after Wideman like a man. I tend to believe Obekpa would be the one tested for concussion symptoms afterwards.
FDS

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board