Non-BE Games of Interest, February 2015...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Non-BE Games of Interest, February 2015...

Postby ohiohsbball » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:27 pm

What happened to Louisville? Getting beat at Georgia Tech? Down 10 with just over 10 mins left.
ohiohsbball

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Burrito » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Didn't Pitino kick a 23 year old (Chris Jones) off of the team over the weekend?
Burrito

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:37 am

Burrito wrote:Didn't Pitino kick a 23 year old (Chris Jones) off of the team over the weekend?

Yes. this game combined with the loss to Syracuse with Jones out of the lineup on suspension will definitely affect Louisville's seeding. If they want to be treated like a top 20 team by the committee, they're going to have to play better down the stretch. There's a lot of pressure on them right now.
Bill Marsh

Postby R Jay » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:51 am

I've watched Louisville quite a bit this season and can definitely say that they aren't as good as their ranking indicated. They only have two prominent OOC wins against Ohio State at home and against Indiana on a neutral court. They have a couple of wins over Pitt in conference and a home win over #13 North Carolina.
On the court, they are an awful jump shooting team. If a team is able to stop them from getting to the rack they should win. Losing Chris Smith just exacerbates that.
Make no mistake, they are still a tournament team, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them fall in the first round to the right opponent and certainly wouldn't advance them past the Sweet 16.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:38 am

Two huge upsets in the ACC last night:

- Syracuse over Notre ?Dame in ?South Bend
- NC State over North Carolina in Chapel Hill

The NC Statewin will get the headlines. It probably takes them off the bubble and puts them in the tournament. But the Syracuse win is bigger for the Big East because of the St. John's win over Syracuse in the Dome earlier in the season.

On a side note, the recent Syracuse surge by Syracuse shows just how callous Syracuse's decision to take themselves out of the tournament this year. It should protect them for next year when they have a top 5 recruiting class coming in but at the expense of this year's seniors. A few weeks ago, it seemed as if Syracuse was out of the postseason anyway, but their recent play would have given them a shot. Farewell to you, Rakeem Christmas. The Orange live you anyway. :cry:
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:03 am

The San Diego State loss last night is a big help to Big East teams jockeying for position in seedlings. Possibly one less team competing for a spot on the 6 line, opening up chances for a team like Providence to move up.
Bill Marsh

Postby milksteak » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:55 am

Gonzaga's loss last night probably gives Villanova a one-seed as long as they take care of business the rest of the way.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:21 am

milksteak wrote:Gonzaga's loss last night probably gives Villanova a one-seed as long as they take care of business the rest of the way.

The ACC champ will probably get the 1-seed in the East, Kentucky in the Midwest, and Kansas or Wisconsin in the South. So, the question is whether Villanova is better off with a 1-seed in the West or a 2-seed in the East, playing in Syracuse in the Sweet 16/Elite 8 weekend.

Personally I'd rather see them stay in the East.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:07 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
milksteak wrote:Gonzaga's loss last night probably gives Villanova a one-seed as long as they take care of business the rest of the way.

The ACC champ will probably get the 1-seed in the East, Kentucky in the Midwest, and Kansas or Wisconsin in the South. So, the question is whether Villanova is better off with a 1-seed in the West or a 2-seed in the East, playing in Syracuse in the Sweet 16/Elite 8 weekend.

Personally I'd rather see them stay in the East.

I think Duke or Virginia loser has a chance over Kansas or Wisconsin.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board