Big East Tournament bracket (2-1-15)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Tournament bracket (2-1-15)

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:43 pm

stever20 wrote:
Edrick wrote:Because neither of those things are the case. Bill Marsh is saying that if you expound on his projections, Georgetown will have neither of those things because Butler will have beaten Georgetown and Villanova in the second game(s), both at home, in which they'll be favored.

Doing a projection, includes projecting everything, not just somethings and as-of-now on other things.

Actually right now, it would be Georgetown as he doesn't have Butler beating Nova. So Georgetown would have the tiebreaker end of season.

Who doesn't have Butler beating Georgetown? AFAIK, the bulldogs are expected to win that game. :lol:
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:52 pm

It means that Butler has to beat Nova the 2nd time around to be able to finish tied and beat Georgetown in a tiebreaker(and that's assuming Georgetown loses the 2nd time, if that doesn't happen, nothing Butler can do to finish ahead of Georgetown in any tie break situation.) It's similar to Seton Hall, because they have that win over Nova- for anyone to finish 1-1 with the Pirates and in a tie- to have a chance to be seeded ahead of Seton Hall(unless they sweep Seton Hall- like DePaul!), they will have to beat Nova.

Similarly Xavier could be in a great position as well, with the sweep of Georgetown.

Your concept Bill is right, however the fact that Nova isn't dropping many more conference games (if any) means the ones that got those wins are in a golden position with regards to tiebreakers.

how about this statement right now...

3 teams I know control their own destiny in conference play....
Villanova obviously
Georgetown obviously
Providence still has 2 left with Nova and singles with Georgetown and Butler. That would give PC 3 losses and everyone else 4.

Butler isn't quite yet. They would need to win out(getting 1-1's vs the other 3- giving Nova 3rd loss, and PC/Georgetown 4th loss), and have Nova lose a game to PC, if PC finishes ahead of Seton Hall.
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:53 am

Big shakeup after tonight. Not only does Georgetown drop, but Providence now owns the tiebreaker against them. Same thing for Xavier vis-a-vis Seton Hall.

Seedlings potentially now look like this:

1. Villanova
2. Butler
3. Providence
4. Georgetown
5. Seton Hall
6. Xavier
7. At. John's
8. DePaul
9. Marquette
10. Creighton

A Providence - St. John's match up on St. John's home floor could be really interesting. PC has already lost twice to the Johnnies.
Bill Marsh

Postby FriarsForever » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:17 am

Bill Marsh wrote:Big shakeup after tonight. Not only does Georgetown drop, but Providence now owns the tiebreaker against them. Same thing for Xavier vis-a-vis Seton Hall.

1. Villanova
2. Butler
3. Providence
4. Georgetown
5. Seton Hall
6. Xavier
7. At. John's
8. DePaul
9. Marquette
10. Creighton

A Providence - St. John's match up on St. John's home floor could be really interesting. PC has already lost twice to the Johnnies.

Why is Providence 3? They beat Butler, and haven't played a second time. That makes them the 2 right now.

Now, if I am mistaken and these are your predictions for the final standings, then I will have to respectfully disagree. I don't see Providence losing to Nova, Butler, Hall, or Marquette @ home, and I think they beat Depaul handily again, making them 12-6. I realize Depaul is no pushover, I just think PC is a horrible matchup for them in every aspect. Same way St. John's is to PC.

I have-

Villanova
Providence
Butler
Georgetown
Xavier
Seton Hall
St. John's
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton

Funny feeling about Seton Hall. I don't know why, I think they just lose a couple head scratchers down the stretch.
FriarsForever

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:01 am

FriarsForever wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Big shakeup after tonight. Not only does Georgetown drop, but Providence now owns the tiebreaker against them. Same thing for Xavier vis-a-vis Seton Hall.

1. Villanova
2. Butler
3. Providence
4. Georgetown
5. Seton Hall
6. Xavier
7. At. John's
8. DePaul
9. Marquette
10. Creighton

Why is Providence 3? They beat Butler, and haven't played a second time. That makes them the 2 right now.

Now, if I am mistaken and these are your predictions for the final standings, then I will have to respectfully disagree. I don't see Providence losing to Nova, Butler, Hall, or Marquette @ home, and I think they beat Depaul handily again, making them 12-6. I realize Depaul is no pushover, I just think PC is a horrible matchup for them in every aspect. Same way St. John's is to PC.

I have-

Villanova
Providence
Butler
Georgetown
Xavier
Seton Hall
St. John's
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton

Funny feeling about Seton Hall. I don't know why, I think they just lose a couple head scratchers down the stretch.

Sorry. These are based on the projections from RPIForecast.com. They project Butler to finishe 12-6, followed by Georgetown and Providence tied at 11-7. PC now owns the tiebreaker with Georgetown of course.

One other thing. I forgot to mention in my comment about PC-SJU that in order to get to PC, St. John's would have to go through ?Butler to whom they have already lost both games. That would be one wacky half of the bracket. :lol:
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:43 am

actually looking at RPI Forecast taking last nights results into account
1 Villanova 13-5
2 Butler 13-5
3 Providence 11-7
4 Georgetown 11-7
5 Seton Hall 9-9
6 Xavier 9-9
7 DePaul 8-10
8 St John's 7-11
9 Marquette 5-13
10 Creighton 4-14

If you are taking RPI Forecast, than really take them.
stever20

Postby FriarsForever » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:13 am

Ahhh, gotcha Bill. That would be wacky. Going off of RPIForecast's predictions then, I don't see any team in this league beating another league foe 3 times in the same season. I just think all 10 teams are too solid to lose 3 games in one season to the same team.
FriarsForever

Postby Edrick » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:29 am

The odds of a team beating a given team for a third time are no different than beating that team the first time, those are independent events.
Last edited by Edrick on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edrick

Postby Edrick » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:29 am

double post (some how) --- hit post once
Edrick

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:50 am

FriarsForever wrote:

I have-

Villanova
Providence
Butler
Georgetown
Xavier
Seton Hall
St. John's
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton

Well if you're funny feeling proves true, that would leave them at 2-4 against Marquette, Creighton, and DePaul. So unless they cancel that out with some improbable wins, that would put them a lot lower than your predicted 6th place.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board