Saturday 1/31 Big East Games (5)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Saturday 1/31 Big East Games (5)

Postby R Jay » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:04 pm

NJRedman wrote:
R Jay wrote:That was the worst Creighton basketball game I have ever seen. It was awful. We just suck. There's no two ways about it.
I appreciate the fact that the doubters at the beginning of the year haven't rubbed it in. Thanks for the classiness.

Too bad you guys couldn't have played like that against us! haha But nooooo you guys had to do your best imitation of last years team drilling 9 3's in the first half! haha

Yep. The St. John's game was certainly an outlier, but the Georgetown game is an outlier as well. We shot around 20% from the field overall and 22% from 3 pt range, for the season we average 40% from the field overall and 33% from 3 pt range. That said, we're still not a very good team, regardless of how well we shoot.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Edrick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:06 pm

The Jays long term problem is, and always has been, there really aren't Big East players in their state or really the surrounding region, and the few that pop up are gobbled up by the area's Big 12 powers. Long term, any program is defined to the players they can access
Edrick

Postby R Jay » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Edrick wrote:The Jays long term problem is, and always has been, there really aren't Big East players in their state or really the surrounding region, and the few that pop up are gobbled up by the area's Big 12 powers. Long term, any program is defined to the players they can access

Of course.
That's why the program needs to:
A) Get on under-the-radar talent early on and get them to commit before they are discovered
B) Focus on the transfer and JUCO market as there are plenty of Big East-caliber guys who go to small schools or junior colleges who want to move up to the Big East
C) Get in extremely early on Top 150 talent and get them to visit Omaha (That is a big part of the problem)
D) Be ready and willing to move on from your top targets when the Bluebloods come calling, but continue to push until you are out of the mix
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:30 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Xavier really blew this one. Not to take anything away from Seton Hall. They are definitely a tourney team and will only be moreso next year, but X had the game and gave it away.

I think it was almost at the 10 minute mark X was in double bonus and Seton had 4 on Desi and someone else (Gibbs?). The momentum was in our favor and then Myles Davis decides to get chippy with Gibbs and draws a double technical. From that point forward the momentum was with Hall and we lost favor with the refs. If I was Mack, I would've pulled Myles right there and told him to STFU. Instead, he stayed in the rest of the game and more or less cost us the game. Still, fun game to watch, high-caliber basketball.

Myles did nothing worthy of a technical in that situation, which was the theme of the game, ref-wise. That was one of the worst reffing performances I've ever seen. There's no way there should have been six technicals in this game. Someone joked mid-game that if someone fell down and an opposing player helped him up, he'd get called for a technical. They called so many crappy fouls in the game too, which contributed to the inflated scores (e.g. Xavier managing 1.09 points per possession while going 1-19 from 3). Of course, then they would miss some real fouls in the process.

Despite the refs, that was a good back-and-forth game. Seton Hall simply closed it out in the last four-minute war.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby micgoG'town » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:21 pm

If Syracuse can get top recruits from the DC area to upstate NY, some refer to as Southern Canada (sorry Canada), Creighton can get em to Nebraska.
micgoG'town

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board