Kris Dunn's triple double

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Kris Dunn put up a fantastic triple double last night against DePaul. Who was questioning his ability to do this earlier in the season?
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Kris Dunn's triple double

Postby FriarJ » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:05 pm

Pretty sure it was not me

He has come very close the last couple of games as well.

His last 4 BE Games 21 points 9 boards 9 assists
FriarJ

Postby billyjack » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:21 pm

Nice improvement to his game is that he's been hitting his outside shots. If he keeps doing that he'll be almost unstoppable. He's the first Friar since Shammgod/Abdullah to make me involuntarily yelp at his plays/ passes/ acrobatics on the court. My wife has to ask me if I'm ok or having a coronary. (EDIT: to be honest, Cotton made amazing plays too, especially vs UNC last year).

Saw that the attendance at the Dunk yesterday was 3500 or so. Much higher than was expected (more than a typical Boston College crowd), considering the 2pm start and the snow disruption from earlier in the week. Somewhere on the Friar Scout board, I read that hecklers could be clearly heard (plus they could sit towards the front row for a buck). One started yelling towards Tommy Hamilton while he was getting ready to take free throws... guy started yelling "LOOK OVER HERE! HEY WHY AREN'T YOU LOOKING OVER HERE!" Apparently, Hamilton at one point did look over and gave him a nod, not sure if he was smiling about it though.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Dunn is beyond anything I expected from him. Can you imagine if he and Bryce were in the lineup together last year? My only fear is that he's gone to the NBA next year. Can't say that I blame him if he does. He's had so many injury problems that he should probably grab the money while he healthy. He definitely has an NBA future.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby billyjack » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:01 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Dunn is beyond anything I expected from him. Can imagine if he and Bryce were in the lineup together last year? My only fear is that he's gone to the NBA next year. Can't say that I blame him of he does. He's had so many injury problems that he should probably grab the money while he can. He definitely has an NBA future.

Yeah, i agree that it's likely he'll go pro this year. Any extra years from him at PC are gravy. I'm banking on him maybe deciding to come back one more year for his degree, but that's unlikely. Also, unless he's a lottery pick, there could be risk of falling to the second round like Ledo.

As far as missing last year with Cotton, that needs to be placed on the list of greatest "What If's" in Friars history... below Marvin's knee, but near "What if Sly Williams didn't get off the train in Kingston"... grrrrrr!

And so Bill, I'm going to assume that you were NOT one of the hecklers at the Dunk yesterday?
:D
Providence
billyjack

Postby TheBall » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:31 pm

I don't think it is an "if" he goes to the nba next year. I think he is as good as gone, and will be a decent pick. And long run, that's not a bad thing for providence.
TheBall

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:55 pm

billyjack wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Dunn is beyond anything I expected from him. Can imagine if he and Bryce were in the lineup together last year? My only fear is that he's gone to the NBA next year. Can't say that I blame him of he does. He's had so many injury problems that he should probably grab the money while he can. He definitely has an NBA future.

Yeah, i agree that it's likely he'll go pro this year. Any extra years from him at PC are gravy. I'm banking on him maybe deciding to come back one more year for his degree, but that's unlikely. Also, unless he's a lottery pick, there could be risk of falling to the second round like Ledo.

As far as missing last year with Cotton, that needs to be placed on the list of greatest "What If's" in Friars history... below Marvin's knee, but near "What if Sly Williams didn't get off the train in Kingston"... grrrrrr!

And so Bill, I'm going to assume that you were NOT one of the hecklers at the Dunk yesterday?

Nope. Not me. :lol:

I've got a day job and had 2 different board meetings to attend last night. But I was glad to see that the Friars won the game handily. :D
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:44 pm

billyjack wrote:

:D

Totally agree. Even go back for the prior season, if Dunn is healthy early, they win maybe the game vs UMass, and then instead of a loss to Penn St, it's a loss to NC State, and then a game with Tennessee. Add to that Dunn more in tune early and they don't lose to BC/Brown and they are with nothing else in the Big East up to a 19-12 record losing to Tennessee. Would have to think a Tennessee win there- and it's 20-11, and that in the old Big East was close to a lock to make the tourney- especially with the finishing kick that PC had that year. (not to mention if Ledo had been eligible that year if I have my years right)....
stever20

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:41 am

Dunn has taken his game to another level in the past 6 games:

21 ppg, 8 rpg, 8.5 apg, 2 spg, 50% 3-FG%

Given that he has only shot 33% on 3's for the season, hitting 50% for a stretch of 6 games is really a game changer for him. Equally encouraging is the fact that he's hit 77% of his FT's over the last 5 games, an improvement over his 68% for the season. His up tempo approach has led to a lot of turnovers (4.2 per game). In the last 5 games (3.4 TO/G), he's begun to cut down on those a little bit as well.

All in all, it seems that his game is really coming together right now. Not only was he away from the game for a year, but he had to cope with surgery and rehab. That had to cost him. Then he had to integrate his game with a new group of teammates. It seems that the first 14 games were that transition back. I have a hunch that what we've seen for the
past 5-6 games is what we'll see for the rest of the season.

For as many great guards as ther have been at PC over the years - Jimmie Walker, Billy Donovan, Eric Murdock, Bryce Cotton, etc. - I don't know that Providence has seen this level of point guard play since Ernie D.

A star is born. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Postby milksteak » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:26 am

Dunn is clear favorite for Big East Player of the Year. Anyone who says otherwise is insane.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board