BE 1st team

The home for Big East hoops

Re: BE 1st team

Postby NJRedman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:34 am

Sir Dom is probably the best defender in the conference.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:43 am

NJRedman wrote:Sir Dom is probably the best defender in the conference.

Hilliard and Jonesa the right up there too.
Bill Marsh

Postby TheBall » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:01 pm

muskienick wrote:
TheBall wrote:BEX,

I'm no X hater. Rarely say a bad thing about them.

Regarding Stainbrook, I'm a big fan. He's a forward, I picked 4 other frontcourt player that I thought were simply better right now. The Chef, Henton, Obekpa and Pointer

I actually went against my own personal rule a bit in give personal accolades to multiple players from NIT teams in pointer and obekpa. But despite st john's struggles, those two have impressed me, and I still went with them.

Stainbrook is in the running. I'm no Stainbrook hater, I actually like his game. I call him the big fundamental whenever he does something well.

Stainbrook is no more a high-Division 1 forward than I am at 6'0", 190 lbs, and a senior citizen! He is a low post first player who almost never shoots from farther than 6' away from the rim. He is best suited at guarding the likes of G-town's Smith (who also would never be confused with a forward). Just ask Georgetown fans. Matt's main jobs on the floor are to stop the opponent's least athletic big man on defense and post up low on offense and either shoot an extremely high percentage shot or find the open man when doubled (both of which he does extremely well).

How does that in any way define him as a "FORWARD"?
so what would you call him? He's a front court player. You want to categorize him as a center instead of a forward? That's fine. Still, there are two other more true centers in Ochefu and Obekoa having better years (although stainbrook is not out of the conversation). And I think other front court players like Benton and pointer are also playing a tad better.

No hating on stainbrook here though. I like his game.
TheBall

Postby muskienick » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:52 am

TheBall wrote:
muskienick wrote:

Regarding Stainbrook, I'm a big fan. He's a forward, I picked 4 other frontcourt player that I thought were simply better right now. The Chef, Henton, Obekpa and Pointer

I actually went against my own personal rule a bit in give personal accolades to multiple players from NIT teams in pointer and obekpa. But despite st john's struggles, those two have impressed me, and I still went with them.

Stainbrook is in the running. I'm no Stainbrook hater, I actually like his game. I call him the big fundamental whenever he does something well.

Stainbrook is no more a high-Division 1 forward than I am at 6'0", 190 lbs, and a senior citizen! He is a low post first player who almost never shoots from farther than 6' away from the rim. He is best suited at guarding the likes of G-town's Smith (who also would never be confused with a forward). Just ask Georgetown fans. Matt's main jobs on the floor are to stop the opponent's least athletic big man on defense and post up low on offense and either shoot an extremely high percentage shot or find the open man when doubled (both of which he does extremely well).

so what would you call him? He's a front court player. You want to categorize him as a center instead of a forward? That's fine. Still, there are two other more true centers in Ochefu and Obekoa having better years (although stainbrook is not out of the conversation). And I think other front court players like Benton and pointer are also playing a tad better.

Yes, he is a CENTER, not a forward! I thought that would have been evident the the description above!
muskienick

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:09 am

TheBall wrote:
muskienick wrote:

Did you just say that Obepka and Ochefu are having better years than Stainbrook? :roll:
Bill Marsh

Postby TheBall » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:34 am

I have obekpa and ochefu over stainbrook this year. Is that even a debate?
TheBall

Postby XUFan09 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
TheBall wrote:so what would you call him? He's a front court player. You want to categorize him as a center instead of a forward? That's fine. Still, there are two other more true centers in Ochefu and Obekoa having better years (although stainbrook is not out of the conversation). And I think other front court players like Benton and pointer are also playing a tad better.

Did you just say that Obepka and Ochefu are having better years than Stainbrook? :roll:

I could see an argument for Ochefu, as he is possibly the best rebounder in the conference, is a good defender, and is an efficient offensive player. Obepka is great defensively, but he's not as good of a rebounder as Stainbrook and his offense leaves quite a lot to be desired. He has a sub-D1-average offensive efficiency while being classified as "Limited Role" by Kenpom (only 15% usage rate).

Classified as a "Significant Contributor," Stainbrook has an offensive efficiency (127.6) that ranks #29 in the nation and #1 in the Big East (by a fair margin), and that's when his passing ability as a center is his best attribute. He is one of the better rebounders in the conference too. He is also a decent post defender. The real drop-off is his defense on stretch-4s and athletic bigs, but all-conference teams are weighted toward offense and away from defense.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:29 am

TheBall wrote:I have obekpa and ochefu over stainbrook this year. Is that even a debate?

No, there's no debate. Obepka is a clown and a limited player. He doesn't even belong in the conversation.

Ochefu is a top defensive player and in his case, it is debatable. I prefer Stainbrook because he means so much to Xavier's offense. It's not just his scoring but his passing and court awareness as well. Their offense runs through him and his ability to see the floor and to get the all to other players makes everyone else on the team more productive. As good as Ochefu is, his offense is somewhat limited and I can't say that the rest of his game makes other players on his team better the way we can say that about Stainbrook.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:34 am

XUFan09 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
TheBall wrote:so what would you call him? He's a front court player. You want to categorize him as a center instead of a forward? That's fine. Still, there are two other more true centers in Ochefu and Obekoa having better years (although stainbrook is not out of the conversation). And I think other front court players like Benton and pointer are also playing a tad better.

I could see an argument for Ochefu, as he is possibly the best rebounder in the conference, is a good defender, and is an efficient offensive player. Obepka is great defensively, but he's not as good of a rebounder as Stainbrook and his offense leaves quite a lot to be desired. He has a sub-D1-average offensive efficiency while being classified as "Limited Role" by Kenpom (only 15% usage rate).

Classified as a "Significant Contributor," Stainbrook has an offensive efficiency (127.6) that ranks #29 in the nation and #1 in the Big East (by a fair margin), and that's when his passing ability as a center is his best attribute. He is one of the better rebounders in the conference too. He is also a decent post defender. The real drop-off is his defense on stretch-4s and athletic bigs, but all-conference teams are weighted toward offense and away from defense.

Not a big Ken Pom fan, but whatever . . .

All good points. I would only take issue with Ochefu being the best rebounder in the conference. I like what Delgado does more. And Woods has to be in the conversation as well.
Bill Marsh

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:02 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:.

All good points. I would only take issue with Ochefu being the best rebounder in the conference. I like what Delgado does more. And Woods has to be in the conversation as well.

Um...didn't Ochefu have like 24 boards vs. Delgado and SHU? Woods was limited to 1 pt. and 6 boards vs. Nova while Chef had 5 blocks, 10 pts. and 9 boards. Not sure those two belong in the same conversation either.

I actually think Stainbrook deserves an all-BE nod as the C. Ochefu struggled against him a little as did Josh Smith. He's just a load and is crafty offensively with that left hand. If you look at the head-to-head stats Stainbrook has performed better. Now with that being said I would not trade Ochefu for Stainbrook. He works for X's style but Chef works better for what Jay is trying to do at Nova. We are so much better with an athletic big who can switch off on D. Stain would get eaten alive by G's on the perimeter.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board