So Who Replaces Lavin at St. Johns?`

The home for Big East hoops

Postby TheBasketballOpinion » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:38 pm

St. John's is in some real danger of not making the tournament. If they don't make it who replaces Lavin?

TBH after I saw that they missed on Briscoe I figured that was the final straw.

Thoughts
Georgetown
TheBasketballOpinion

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: So Who Replaces Lavin at St. Johns?`

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:54 pm

Each time people say there is no way Lavin returns next season, he ends up pulling a rabbit out of his hat and surprises everyone. Honestly, I could see St. Johns pull a miracle and win the BE Tournament in March.

I'm not ready to say he's finished yet.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Rum_Ham » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Personally, I don't think hes gone after this year especially if he ends up with a decent 2015 recruiting class.
Marquette 2016
Rum_Ham

Postby TheBall » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:48 am

Really disappointed about this. I liked Lavin a lot. I gave him a lot of benefit of the doubt. I thought he had the potential to make good things happen in the second half of his first decade.

St Johns are a top 10 team on paper. I'm not sold on Harrison, think he is a bit of a ball hog me first player. But pointer and obekpa are great. And harrison/ jordan/ branch/ green 4 are a legitimate tournament back court.

Inexcusable to go to the nit this year. And even worse: we are still in January and they aren't even on the bubble anymore. To have played so poorly to be eliminated before presidents day is a real sad thing for the big east.

The two worst things for the big east this year have been depaul's December and st john's January. And unfortunately both are going to cost the conference millions of dollars.
TheBall

Postby Edrick » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:02 am

He's a bad coach, this is kind of what you are going to get.

Theyd end up hiring someone like Hurley.
Edrick

Postby butlerguy03 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:52 am

Bobby Hurley or Archie Miller would probably be the two front runners. I'm sure there are some other assistants that would take that gig in a heartbeat.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby stever20 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:00 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Each time people say there is no way Lavin returns next season, he ends up pulling a rabbit out of his hat and surprises everyone. Honestly, I could see St. Johns pull a miracle and win the BE Tournament in March.

I'm not ready to say he's finished yet.

I don't think he would have to win the BET, just make the SF. They in that situation would be in the 7/10 game almost certainly(unless Seton Hall falls apart as well)- and then would just have to beat the 2 seed to make the tourney.

If St John's is in a position where they have to win the BET- that would mean they would be entering the tourney at like 16-14 or something like that. That would mean they are only 6-12 in conference play.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 am

If there's a team that is capable of exceeding expectations going forward, it's St John's. Last year everyone put a fork in them in late January, and they ended up as the hottest, most dangerous team in the final month.

They have the talent to beat anyone anywhere, like Duke, where they were 6 minutes away from pretty much punching their NCAA ticket (but they're also erratic enough to lose everywhere). I would imagine that they'll be favored tomorrow vs PC. 3 of their 7 losses are to teams that have spent time in the Top-5. Their SOS is 31. They have time to turn things around.

Also, in a vacuum, some of SJU's losses are rough, but the bubble teams around them are sucking eggs too.
44 Miami just got hammered at home to Georgia Tech.
57 NC State just got popped at home by Clemson.
93 Pitt just lost at Va Tech.
SJU has beaten 52 St Mary's.
SJU has already beaten 67 Syracuse.
SJU has beaten 60 Long Beach.

Anyway, if Lavin were to leave, they could always try to coax Billy Donovan back to the Big East. He is a NY guy and might be ready for a change, and in the past he's had interest in the SJU job.
Last edited by billyjack on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ivet » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 am

Ben Jacobson in Northern Iowa. You guys remember Ali Farubrokemybrackets shot against Kansas? If you guys dont get him, I hope DePaul picks him up in 2 years.
ivet

Postby stever20 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 am

billyjack wrote:If there's a team that is capable of exceeding expectations going forward, it's St John's. Last year everyone put a fork in them in late January, and they ended up as the hottest, most dangerous team in the final month.

They have the talent to beat anyone anywhere, like Duke, where they were 6 minutes away from pretty much punching their NCAA ticket (but they're also erratic enough to lose everywhere). I would imagine that they'll be favored tomorrow vs PC. 3 of their 7 losses are to teams that have spent time in the Top-5.

Anyway, if Lavin were to leave, they could always try to coax Billy Donovan back to the Big East. He is a NY guy and might be ready for a change.

2 big differences...
1- the losses that SJ had gotten- only 1 bad loss to DePaul last year. This year losses to DePaul and Creighton already.
2- by the end of the month, St John's had gotten some solid momentum going. They won 3 games in a row then lost @ Creighton late. This year- they're going into Feb with no momentum going. Any positives from the Duke game completely gone now.

Also you have the question of Rysheed Jordan's health going forward. They absolutely need him to have any shot at all.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board