Wed Jan 28th (2g) - Seton-MU, SJU-Creighton...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Wed Jan 28th (2g) - Seton-MU, SJU-Creighton...

Postby R Jay » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:07 am

DudeAnon wrote:
stever20 wrote:according to RPI forecast, for Creighton to finish with a sub-100 RPI- they would have to finish 16-15- and that gets them a 99.4 projected RPI. That would be 6 more wins in final 9 games. That's a lot more than just a few more wins...

As far as St John's-
to get even on the bubble remotely right now would take getting to 18-12. Right now that record projects to a RPI of 57.2. That is really fringe bubble. That would be 6-5. To get a lot more solid takes 7-4 to get to 19-11. That record projects to a RPI of 46.1.

Ok, so maybe sub-100 is unrealistic. But they still aren't a "bad loss". Brown has an rpi of 233, that is a bad loss.

It's really an arbitrary number when discussing a "bad loss". For me that number is 200+.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby JOPO » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:27 pm

R Jay wrote:I don't have much to add other than the obvious: it feels good to finally win.

I was happy for you guys last night. I knew the Jays weren't going to go winless in conference this year.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:37 pm

Sub-100 losses are generally considered bad losses, with sub-200 losses being considered really bad losses. The Committee gives a lot of leeway for the road, though, and they also knows that Creighton is a tough place to play. Creighton's RPI is projected at 155, an aggregate of the two most likely records per Sagarin, 13-18 and 12-19. If Creighton finishes with two more wins or fewer, it will be a bad loss, regardless of venue, because they'll be a sub-150 team and it's hard to justify that, even on the road. If the Bluejays win three or more games after this, the Committee might cut St. John's some slack. They might even point out how St. John's was coming off a tough let-down loss to Duke (Yes, the Committee does consider these subjective factors). The Committee giving some slack would just make the loss hurt less on the resume, though. St. John's still should have won but have now lost a second road game to a conference opponent outside the top 100. However, there is still a lot of basketball to play.

Congratulations to Creighton fans on your first conference win!
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:44 pm

gmoser1210 wrote:
Professor_Bulldog wrote:So. Who starts the "I'm starting to hate Creighton thread"?

Probably no one since Creighton went 9-4 and only had one bad loss out of conference. The problem with DePaul is that they went 5-7 out of conference, and three of those losses were to teams outside of the top 150 RPI.

Exactly. DePaul improved their rpi by beating up on Big East teams. Creighton's rpi is mostly based on beating up nonconference opponent's. Not the same.
Jet915

Postby ivet » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Jet915 wrote:
gmoser1210 wrote:
Professor_Bulldog wrote:So. Who starts the "I'm starting to hate Creighton thread"?

Probably no one since Creighton went 9-4 and only had one bad loss out of conference. The problem with DePaul is that they went 5-7 out of conference, and three of those losses were to teams outside of the top 150 RPI.

Exactly. DePaul improved their rpi by beating up on Big East teams. Creighton's rpi is mostly based on beating up nonconference opponent's. Not the same.

It doesnt matter. We are cannibalizing each other once again like the old BE. I know it's something we are use to but you cant point fingers at one team for doing horrible in OoC and all of a sudden start winning in conference play and claim it's "bad for the conference" but you don't point the finger at the team that did OK in OoC then bomb during conference play. Creighton is too far along in Conference play with all those loses that any wins moving forward will hurt the conference. Don't be a hypocrite.
ivet

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Actually, it does matter which side of the schedule you succeed in. Creighton is the guy that brought a 12-pack of decent beer to the party but only drank a couple beers. DePaul is the guy who brought a 6-pack of cheap beer and then binge-drank the craft beer (In this analogy, Villanova brought a case of craft beer).

Now, some resent or hate DePaul, but I don't. They are still fighting to win and should be; no one should expect them to play nice for the rest of the conference. I'm not mad at them for beating Xavier after bringing in a poor non-conference performance; I'm pissed at Xavier for losing a game that they definitely should have won. I view the DePaul loss the same way I view the loss to Auburn, a non-conference opponent. I didn't expect a weak Auburn team to do anything for the good of Xavier and I didn't expect DePaul to do anything for the good of the conference.
XUFan09

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:40 pm

XUFan09 wrote:Actually, it does matter which side of the schedule you succeed in. Creighton is the guy that brought a 12-pack of decent beer to the party but only drank a couple beers. DePaul is the guy who brought a 6-pack of cheap beer and then binge-drank the craft beer (In this analogy, Villanova brought a case of craft beer).

That might be the most brilliant analogy I've ever read on a message board. Kudos, sir.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:15 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:Actually, it does matter which side of the schedule you succeed in. Creighton is the guy that brought a 12-pack of decent beer to the party but only drank a couple beers. DePaul is the guy who brought a 6-pack of cheap beer and then binge-drank the craft beer (In this analogy, Villanova brought a case of craft beer).

That might be the most brilliant analogy I've ever read on a message board. Kudos, sir.

Lol thank you! Not gonna lie, I was proud of myself when I thought of it.
XUFan09

Postby Zippy93 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:44 am

XUFan09 wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:

Lol thank you! Not gonna lie, I was proud of myself when I thought of it.

Villanova brings the cocaine. You should know this by now :D
Zippy93

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:21 am

Zippy93 wrote:Villanova brings the cocaine. You should know this by now :D

Damn, you're right!
XUFan09

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board