Tue Jan 27th, 1 Game - XU vs Georgetown.

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:25 am

1 game Tuesday night.

7pm, Xavier at #21 Georgetown.

Rematch of NYE's opening night, when the Musketeers beat the Hoyas at home by 17.
Georgetown is alone in 1st place by a half game, coming off a thriller OT win in Milwaukee.
An opportunity for X to grab a great road win.

Looking forward to making some cocoa with the wife and kids and cat, in what may be the 30th straight hour of snow at 7pm, and chillin on the couch watching some bruising Big East action. May fall asleep quickly since much of day will be devoted to shoveling.

As most know by now, the Blue Demons vs Friars game has been re-scheduled for Thursday at 2pm on FS1, either at the Dunk down city, or at Alumni Hall on campus (on Joe Mullaney Court). The location is dependent on whether Fleetwood Mac can play on Wed night. I had no idea they were still doing gigs... like gosports said, is this 1978?
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Tue Jan 27th, 1 Game - XU vs Georgetown.

Postby milksteak » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:56 am

I've been checking into the Weather Channel every now and then to get some up-to-date coverage of Juno. Stay safe Providence folks. Same goes for all the other schools in the Northeast (although I understand the Friar faithful probably have the worst of it right now).
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:23 am

Will be an interesting game. Last year Hoyas lost @ Xavier by 13 and then won at home by 22. This year Xavier seems to really struggle on the road. Wouldn't be surprised if Georgetown won by a similar margin at home as last year. But I'm not going to count on it. Every BE game makes me nervous. There are no nights off.

Isaac Copeland has really emerged since the first Xavier game. He only played 7 minutes that game. Xavier shot 50% from 3 in that game while we shot 15% on simillar amount of attempts. We did a good job limiting Bluiett but besides that we got torched and were seemingly caught off guard by Xavier actually playing defense. Reynolds really hurt us as none of our PFs could contain him besides Hopkins who was in foul trouble and was giving us nothing on offense. Turnovers were the other big factor Hoyas coughed it up 16 times. Hoyas have kept turnover down over this win streak and will need to do so again.

Jabril Trawick (thigh contusion) and LJ Peak (Ankle) are questionable for this game, but aren't expected to miss more than one game.
hoyahooligan

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:57 am

I got a good feeling about this one. X is due a road victory and GTown will be overlooking us. So I think they will come out swinging and will carry the lead most of the way. 75 - 61
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:05 am

DudeAnon wrote:I got a good feeling about this one. X is due a road victory and GTown will be overlooking us. So I think they will come out swinging and will carry the lead most of the way. 75 - 61

You really think the Hoyas will be over looking a team that beat them by 17?
hoyahooligan

Postby pki1998 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:16 am

DudeAnon wrote:I got a good feeling about this one. X is due a road victory and GTown will be overlooking us. So I think they will come out swinging and will carry the lead most of the way. 75 - 61

I wished I shared your optimism! I think this will be another road loss for X. This isn't the A-10 where you could say you are overdue for a road win. You have to earn road (and home) wins in the Big East. Hard to think that GT will be overlooking us after we already beat them. X has a habit of not showing up for the first 10 minutes or last 10 minutes of a game. If they do that again tonight they will have no chance to beat Georgetown. If they play hard/smart for the full 40 minutes this should be a great game to watch, otherwise X gets blown away by the Hoyas.

Every time X plays Georgetown, it makes me proud of how far the program has come. I was at the Round of 32 game where Tyrone Hill, and Derek Strong (both future NBAers) outplayed Dikemba Muntombo and Alounzo Mourning to get to the Sweet 16 for the first time. Back then, I would never have imagined that X would one day be in the same conference as Basketball blue bloods like Georgetown and Villanova. Hell I remember thinking what a big step up the A-10 was from MCC (now Horizon League).
Xavier
pki1998

Postby FormulaX » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:26 am

hoyahooligan wrote:

You really think the Hoyas will be over looking a team that beat them by 17?

Probably not and DSR won't be either. He is an Indiana kid that de-committed from Xavier (before the BE move announced). I'm wondering when we will see a close game, with these two teams? Could come down to fouls on Stain and Smith if it's a close game.
FormulaX

Postby marq » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:11 pm

I think XU is going to be in trouble on selection Sunday. OOC wasn't great to start and looks like a finish of 5-7 in the league. Would love to see you dancing in March but if I was a betting man, I'd be selling right now.
marq

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:19 pm

marq wrote:I think XU is going to be in trouble on selection Sunday. OOC wasn't great to start and looks like a finish of 5-7 in the league. Would love to see you dancing in March but if I was a betting man, I'd be selling right now.

conceptually I agree with you. But Xavier's OOC schedule is looking real smart- 13 games where they've gone 9-3 so far- all but 2 in the top 180. To me, the only thing holding them back is a lack of wins away from Cintas. They have 11 games left- 7 away, 4 home. Have to win at least 3 of 4 at home(Nova the exception)- and then get like 3 away wins- probably Marquette, Seton Hall, and Creighton. I'm of the 3 others the most bullish on Xavier actually.
stever20

Postby FormulaX » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:08 pm

stever20 wrote:
marq wrote:I think XU is going to be in trouble on selection Sunday. OOC wasn't great to start and looks like a finish of 5-7 in the league. Would love to see you dancing in March but if I was a betting man, I'd be selling right now.

conceptually I agree with you. But Xavier's OOC schedule is looking real smart- 13 games where they've gone 9-3 so far- all but 2 in the top 180. To me, the only thing holding them back is a lack of wins away from Cintas. They have 11 games left- 7 away, 4 home. Have to win at least 3 of 4 at home(Nova the exception)- and then get like 3 away wins- probably Marquette, Seton Hall, and Creighton. I'm of the 3 others the most bullish on Xavier actually.

Well is Xavier did that. According to rpi forecast http://www.rpiforecast.com/cgi-bin/rpiwizard.cgi
They would be 20-11. RPI 24 SOS 10 That might get them in?
FormulaX

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board