Sun Jan 25th, 3g - Duke-SJU, Seton-Butler, Creigh-VU.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Sun Jan 25th, 3g - Duke-SJU, Seton-Butler, Creigh-VU.

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:32 pm

shupirate98 wrote:Worry that they're in trouble? They're more than in trouble. They're done. After the last game I said Willard had the tactical acumen of a comatose squirrel. In retrospect that was unfair to comatose squirrels. The guy is completely incompetent. Seton Hall will never, ever win until he's gone. I'd trade him for Purnell without a moment's hesitation.

Give me a break...you were probably one of the people singing his praises after the Villanova win too. The hot start wasn't a reason to give him a 10 year extension, and the losing streak isn't a reason to fire him. He's a young coach working with a very young team and still doesn't have his most talented player on the floor. They're clearly struggling right now and lacking confidence, and it really doesn't help that their most experienced players (Gibbs and Mobley) have done more harm than good these past few games. They still have talent- albeit young talent. KW just needs to keep their heads up and keep them battling until they find that spark that gets their swagger back. The obvious spark would be Whitehead's return, but hopefully they find something before that. One of the biggest signs of confidence is in three point shooting and after being 2nd best in the conference through the Villanova game, they haven't been able to buy one since.

Or they can just listen to you and fire Willard right now. I'm sure we'll be much better off when Gibbs, Whitehead, Sina, Delgado, Carrington, and Rodriguez all transfer.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:35 pm

RDinNY wrote:St. John's played well but lost to a depper, more talented team. Can't blame the coach for every loss.

I agree, I was very impressed with out St. John's played today. They were confident, aggressive, and played with a ton of energy. They truly believed that they could win this game and they had every chance too. Unfortunately, they kind of ran out of gas at the end, but give credit to Duke. They're ranked #5 for a reason and they made clutch plays at the end to escape with the W.

If St. John's played like that every day, they'd be much higher in the BE standings right now.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby billyjack » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:51 pm

HoosierPal wrote:
billyjack wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:Congratulations to Coach K for win 1000. It couldn't happen to a better person. His tribute to his mentor, the General, was very appropriate.

He won today's game in the same manner... with a sourpuss, whimpering face all game while losing... then all smiles and sunshine in the final minute. As a tribute to the General, he considered hurling a folding chair across the hardwood.

Are you having a bad day or what? A milestone in NCAA history was reached today. How about giving Coach K some credit.

Ok, from now on I'll try to enjoy looking at his sourpuss, whiny face.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:57 pm

I think Wednesday night is going to tell us a lot if we have any shot at 7 bids...

Seton Hall plays at Marquette
St John's plays at Creighton

If either of those teams lose- it's a crippling blow for making the tourney. Seton Hall right now has to go 6-5 rest of the way to have any chance. St John's has to go 7-5 most likely to have a realistic chance. Kind of tough for both teams to see a path to those # of wins with a loss to 9th/10th place teams, even on the road.

I think Xavier can go a long way this week in securing a bid if they can win just 1 of the 2 road games at Georgetown on Tuesday or Seton Hall on Saturday. 2 losses and they're 13-9- and 2-7 away from Cintas.
stever20

Postby redmen9194 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:59 pm

Just back from the Garden. Unbelievable game. The place was jumping from the tip. Winning would have been great but the loss doesn't hurt. The difference in the game was Harrison is playing somewhat hurt. The calf injury is keeping him from 100% and his shot is suffering. If we can grab the nextbtwo games we should be ok. As for the restbof the league? Look, this is what we wanted. We all did very well in the non-conference season which we needed to do to make sure the conference battles gave us all good opportunities for good wins. No one is running away with this thing and everyone is still in it, except maybe Creighton. I think we get five in or maybe six. Seven I think is out of the question but who knows. A lot depends on what the other guys do as well. We have a great group of ten with tremendous potential and upside. Enjoy the ride.
redmen9194

Postby stever20 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:45 pm

redmen9194 wrote:Just back from the Garden. Unbelievable game. The place was jumping from the tip. Winning would have been great but the loss doesn't hurt. The difference in the game was Harrison is playing somewhat hurt. The calf injury is keeping him from 100% and his shot is suffering. If we can grab the nextbtwo games we should be ok. As for the restbof the league? Look, this is what we wanted. We all did very well in the non-conference season which we needed to do to make sure the conference battles gave us all good opportunities for good wins. No one is running away with this thing and everyone is still in it, except maybe Creighton. I think we get five in or maybe six. Seven I think is out of the question but who knows. A lot depends on what the other guys do as well. We have a great group of ten with tremendous potential and upside. Enjoy the ride.

The loss does hurt because it was the OOC win that they really needed. It would be the resume building win that would have helped out big time. Unless Minnesota can really rebound, the Syracuse game is it in terms of OOC wins.

I think a HUGE game now is in a few weeks when Xavier plays @ Cincy.
stever20

Postby shupirate98 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
shupirate98 wrote:Worry that they're in trouble? They're more than in trouble. They're done. After the last game I said Willard had the tactical acumen of a comatose squirrel. In retrospect that was unfair to comatose squirrels. The guy is completely incompetent. Seton Hall will never, ever win until he's gone. I'd trade him for Purnell without a moment's hesitation.

Give me a break...you were probably one of the people singing his praises after the Villanova win too. The hot start wasn't a reason to give him a 10 year extension, and the losing streak isn't a reason to fire him. He's a young coach working with a very young team and still doesn't have his most talented player on the floor. They're clearly struggling right now and lacking confidence, and it really doesn't help that their most experienced players (Gibbs and Mobley) have done more harm than good these past few games. They still have talent- albeit young talent. KW just needs to keep their heads up and keep them battling until they find that spark that gets their swagger back. The obvious spark would be Whitehead's return, but hopefully they find something before that. One of the biggest signs of confidence is in three point shooting and after being 2nd best in the conference through the Villanova game, they haven't been able to buy one since.

Or they can just listen to you and fire Willard right now. I'm sure we'll be much better off when Gibbs, Whitehead, Sina, Delgado, Carrington, and Rodriguez all transfer.

Nope, you'll never have seen me singing his praises. I've thought he was a dunce for years and he's certainly not doing anything to change my mind. He's an awful, horrible, terrible, incompetent coach.

And the idea that any of those players, much less all of them, would transfer if Willard was fired is hilarious. None of them came here for him. He had literally nothing to do with any of their recruitment. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Zippo. If Tiny Morton left, well then we could be in trouble.

For the record here's the current list of major conference (Football 5 + Big East) coaches who are in at least their fifth season at their current school and have never made the NCAAs at that school:

Kevin Willard
shupirate98

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Jays didn't show up. 15-0 to start the game are you kidding me? Get these guys out and give the minutes to young kids who will be here next year.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Jet915 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Jays didn't show up. 15-0 to start the game are you kidding me? Get these guys out and give the minutes to young kids who will be here next year.

Here here!
Jet915

Postby R Jay » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:54 pm

God we suck. It's laughable.
“Even though I’m not playing I still don’t want my school to be disrespected, because I play for the name on the front of my chest, not the name on my back. I’m a part of this family now, and when they disrespected them they disrespected me”-Mo Watson Jr.
R Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board